Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Jephcott

Chris J's having a Yak

Recommended Posts

No 2 of the 3...

This one looks like it could be interesting!! Will be interesting to see if the lessons learnt from the gnat will be heeded to!

Photos to come asap!

Edited by Chris Jephcott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, no rest for the wicked. I had my curry and 2 beers, and then have come back to an empty house and couldn't resist looking at the Yak.

Here's the box and sprue shots...

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

However, I then tried to dry fit the two fuselage halves together and saw this beauty:

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Am I going to run screaming from this one? Oh no... It's much more fun to make it and see what happens!

Isn't that pretty??? I'll have a think about that somehow!!!

And then various other bits are broken too, but all can be repaired. I hope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris, if you survived the Gant, then this should be a piece of cake ;)

(Suggestion - Vodka may help... and NOT to thin the paint with.....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and starter kits are meant to be easy??? :)

That's a jolly good point... or at least not pigs to even put together. That chin scoop is a bit of a challenge to offer for a newb :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at it - I can think of several ways to fill that horrific gap - but none of them would count for this group build!!!

I don't know whether I would be allowed to use a piece of burnt sprue for it though? Would that be within the rules?

What I intend to do though is to glue the fuselage together and then attempt to tackle this problem so the scale of it can be better judged. I imagine that as I've not been called into work today, that this will be a today job. When I get my head in gear... and the curry last night might have seemed like a good idea, but I feel a bit jaded this morning!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about gluing a piece of sprue (pre-cut to shape if that's easily done), then let it cure, and sand it back to something like a sensible shape?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also a very good idea. I think that makes it a bit easier than the burnt sprue, however, the depth of the plastic in the intake itself should present an interesting problem too.

Either way, I suspect I'll have to get some more emery boards today at some stage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The intake is refitted and waiting to be sanded down to regain the original shape.

The solution... the most basic solution imaginable. Plying it with glue and waiting for it to dry... it might look a total disaster in the end, but it cannot possibly be any worse than how it was before!

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

and yes - the fit really is that bad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am having the same fun with my Yak Chris!! Although, i took the easy way out and just cut the intake back a little.

Crikey good luck with this one I knew the Yak was old but that nose looks dreadful ....how are these kits expected to be ideal for beginners!! My Seahawk has been comparativly easy (ghastly ravine along the top of fusalage tho')although the lump representing the canopy with no frame visible on it is going to be challenging!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So that's a Gant and a Yak I've done so far... Am I a masochist or is this bad luck???

The nose is sorted out now though, or as good as it's going to be. I'm continuing with a bit of assembly this evening. Sadly I have to be up at 5am tomorrow morning to go to work, but when I get back, I'll try and see what more progress can be made!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I built one of these last November, and it will build into a nice kit. However, as you can see, it will need a shed load of work, and I wouldn't like to fix it without plastic card/filler/whiskey!!

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And here we are now... assembly is 95% complete, a dark wash has been added. Next up is the paint... But it's looking reasonable now. We'll see how this develops with several coats of paint!!

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick daily update as I had to go to work earlier - and I'm up doing the early morning Gatwick flights tomorrow morning... but the painting is 95% complete now. Still got a few little odds and sods to tidy up, but she's coming together a bit more.

I've lost count of the number of coats I applied to her, bt it is possibly in the region of 10 or so, very thin ones, thinned with water.

However, this is where I'm up to now... I'm quite happy with the progress bearing in mind how much of a dog this kit looked!

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And she's finished.

Despite 3 of the decals falling apart when trying to get them onto the kit, they are all in the right places now!

Overall, very enjoyable. I'm happy with the outcome and think she looks great for a little starter kit. Incredible what you can do with just 4 paints and some nasty misformed plastic.

And now onto the one I'm looking forward to - the Mustang!

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×