Hobbycraft 1/32 RFC Camel 'Le Rhone'

T-Tango

Morning all;

My second project in the GB, the Hobbycraft Camel, I'm just hoping I will get it completed on time.

First up the usual box shot.

camel01.jpg

Cheers

Pete.

Edited by T-Tango

Whats the quality like of this kit? Ive built their Seafire XV and it was rather basic.

Not too bad, but they have pin marks in some stupid places, ie. on the wheel spokes and propeller boss.

Morning all;

I've made a start on the Camel.

First up, a slight mod, the kit seat, with wicker decals.

camel02.jpg

Wasn't happy with this, so I've made my own.

My seat.

camel03.jpg

Just needs tidying up and some paint.

Bye for now.

Pete.

Are we looking at the kit markings or have you got something else planned for the scheme? A friend of mine builds WWI aircraft and it wasn't until he showed me a Pup and Camel together that I really saw why the Camel is named so, the 'humpiness' is really pronounced.

I see the boxtop gives no real hint for rigging - is it detailed in the instruction sheet?

• 2 weeks later...

I had my hops in you using the parts etch for this one but....Do you have any pics off the wings, I´m interested in the shape of the wings and the details off it. Having Academys Camel kit and can´t recommend it to noone..

Larsa

I see the boxtop gives no real hint for rigging - is it detailed in the instruction sheet?

The rigging is shown on the instruction sheet.

I had my hops in you using the parts etch for this one but....Do you have any pics off the wings, I´m interested in the shape of the wings and the details off it. Having Academys Camel kit and can´t recommend it to noone..

Larsa

No Larsa I'm not using the etch parts, as I hate etch and keep away from it as much as possible, the top wing is in fact not quite flat, I think it will require a spot of adjusting when I fit it, the rib tapes are well defined, might be a bit too defined for some people, but I'm happy with them.

The rigging is shown on the instruction sheet.

No Larsa I'm not using the etch parts, as I hate etch and keep away from it as much as possible, the top wing is in fact not quite flat, I think it will require a spot of adjusting when I fit it, the rib tapes are well defined, might be a bit too defined for some people, but I'm happy with them.

My tip would be a copy of Windsock to give the information about the rigging, a thing to remeber is never to trust the kit instructions.Hating the etch (a strong word) I know the feeling, using etch all over the place is not to be recommended but it could bring life to the build sometimes.This Camel kit is very interesting.

Larsa

Another update, the state of play so far, as usual any comments most welcome.

camel05.jpg

camel06.jpg

camel07.jpg

camel08.jpg

camel09.jpg

The flash seems to have bought out the wing rib tapes a lot lighter than they are in real life.

Cheers

Pete

Very nice Pete!

I love the wood effect behind the cockpit!

Thanks Daz, just used a base of acrylic and then brushed with water based oils, when the oils were dry 3 or 4 coats of Klear.

Thanks for comments guys, but why, oh why is it when you reach the stage where you can't go back, Murphies Law takes over

'If anything conceivably can go wrong, it inevitably will'. :deadhorse:

Sorry have I missed something? :confused:

One minute I am looking at a beautiful 'part' build and the next post from you Pete is the one above? What's up?

Deacon

Hi Deacon, what happened was I painted the model, put the Klear on for the decals, put the cockades on, no probs, put the rudder stripes on, one side decided to play up, but it looked passable, when I put the side decals on which consist of a stripe, the cockade, recognition letter, reg. no. and another stripe all in one decal, the bloody recognition letter tore in half on one side, so after much fiddleing and messing about, cos the decal slid beautifully along the length of the fusilage, but up and down, nar, no way was it gonna slide, any way after much messing about I managed to get the letter 'U' lined up, so I put some Klear on to settle it down, damn me when the Klear dried there was small gap in the 'U', fortunately I've managed to spot it in with some white paint so it doesn't look too bad.

Edited by T-Tango

Phew!

For a minute there mate I thought you'd completely ruined the build, similar to poor Paul on

the Finnish AF GB spilling liquid poly on his practically finished Mig 21.

I am sure it won't even be noticeable, good recovery. :)

Deacon

Yep, I think when I get some Western Front mud and grime on the Camel it will look ok, I've just started doing battle with the rigging to-day. :hypnotised:

Edited by T-Tango