Hovis's progress with his Gnat

hovis

OK, I suppose I have to start this sometime.....

Apologies in advance for the quality of camerawork, but I'm never going to be a professional photographer :) In fact, I'll be ecstatic if I manage to get the pics to show on here.

Right, first a reminder of the kit I chose for this Group Build...

029.jpg

So as you've probably seen from others, this is what it looks like out of the box...

032.jpg

And so on with the innings.... :)

One detail I have noticed with my kit compared to others I have looked at on here is that mine has come with a stupid wee tube of glue, instead of the yellow hi-tec precision 3000 gti glue the rest of you seem to have got... Oh well, I'll just have to be judged easier then I reckon..... :P

mine has come with a stupid wee tube of glue, instead of the yellow hi-tec precision 3000 gti glue the rest of you seem to have got...

Ah! Thanks, Hovis - I had noticed that Airfix have been showing the dinky tubette glue in some of their new starter set pictures - I wondered if they were moving in this direction, probably for cost reasons. Looks like they are - you must have "new stock". Shame - the precision poly is MUCH easier to use, especially for little fingers.

Good luck with the Gnat (or "Gant", as I now think of it :) )

Ok, a wee bit more work done today...

As you can probably tell, I'm taking my time with this build, not for any reasons of attaining perfection or anything, but because I'm still trying to find my modelling mojo at the moment.

Anyway, this is a good place to find it I reckon.

So, pilot painted - This is where my choice of model comes in really handy, having a Red Arrow, hence red and white paint means I can mix both to create a fleshy tone :) I'm so cleever...

IMAG0024.jpg

I hate the shiney red jumpsuit mind. Oh and for those of a nervous disposition, please don't look at the pilot's pointy stump for a right arm, or the fact that he has no feet whatsoever. RAF medical standards in those days must've been slack.

As for the seats, well black coat overall first, followed by my homemade "brown" cushions, mixing red, white and a touch of black..... well, I think it's nice :)

IMAG0025.jpg

And finally, the painting of the plane itself. After 2ish coats, it looks like this...

IMAG0031.jpg

I think I'll need a few more coats yet......

OK it's been a wee while, lost my mojo again but found it last night.....

After many many many coats of my very watery red paint I reached this stage. Now you have to remember that all these coats were done with a paint that was thinned just before Mike's revelations about adding a touch of white to his red paint, so I had to soldier on....

IMAG0036.jpg

And a wee look at the pilot with his visor now added...

IMAG0035.jpg

And a couple more views of it with the painting nearly done...

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

Unfortunately of the 3 camera's available to me the only one that seems to be able to focus close up is my phone, so the colours look a bit off, but believe me, the red on the Gnat is a lovely deep shade, honest!

Sorry for being so slow with my "revelation" :blush: In the end, it's not THAT great a revelation, but it does seem to improve opacity, if not the self-leveling properties (which is a shame).