Finnish AF Hawk

Uh oh! Just realised that the Finnish AF GB has already started and I haven't!!

Sorry all, new interest in my life at the moment :wub: , but she has sadly gone away for a few months :( so I guess I now have time to concentrate on getting on with this.

Some box and kit photos to follow soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally work has eased up a little so I might be able to start work on this. First things first: it is the Airfix 1/48 scale Hawk which I had planned to do in the old 3 colour scheme. Unfortunately, I can't find the relevant decals so it will now be done in the newer two-tone grey scheme. Here is the mandatory sprue shot:

IMG00015-20100426-1939.jpg

Edited by Roland Pulfrew

Ah Bank Holiday Monday. Time for some modelling, although I think the new woman might berate me for not being out walking in the hills as it is/was such a beautiful morning!!

Anyway progress so far - the cockpit is coming together. Detail seems not too bad, although it is still a little "chunky" in comparison to some of the other manufacturers. But so far only some seat straps added for the extra detailing.

IMG00018-20100503-10572.jpg

IMG00019-20100503-1058.jpg

First things first: it is the Airfix 1/48 scale Hawk which I had planned to do in the old 3 colour scheme. Unfortunately, I can't find the relevant decals so it will now be done in the newer two-tone grey scheme.

Er... top right of the picture? :analintruder:

First things first: it is the Airfix 1/48 scale Hawk which I had planned to do in the old 3 colour scheme. Unfortunately, I can't find the relevant decals so it will now be done in the newer two-tone grey scheme.

Er... top right of the picture? :analintruder:

• 3 weeks later...

Right. After a couple of manic weeks at work, and as it's grey and overcast in the north of Scotland whilst the rest of you are basking in the sunshine of the warmest weekend of 2010, a bit of progress on my Finnish AF Hawk. Not much progress, but a bit at least.

FAFHawk3.jpg

FAFHawk2.jpg

FAFHawk1.jpg

This Airfix kit is pretty good really. I have enjoyed it so far and am now thinking of getting another one out of the garage.

• 2 weeks later...

You are/were right Jonathon. Can we put it down to a complete cock up on my part? :blush:

I had it in my head that the three-tone scheme had bigger roundels than the grey scheme so I assumed that the kit deals wre for a two-tone grey aircraft as the roundels seemed very small. Once I had started I realised I was wrong, but then I didn't have the paint for the three-tone version so stuck with my error and did the grey jet.

Edited by Roland Pulfrew

You are/were right Jonathon. Can we put it down to a complete cock up on my part? :blush:

I had it in my head that the three-tone scheme had bigger roundels than the grey scheme so I assumed that the kit deals wre for a two-tone grey aircraft as the roundels seemed very small. Once I had started I realised I was wrong, but then I didn't have the paint for the three-tone version so stuck with my error and did the grey jet.

I am not sure if I understand well. However I think the grey camouflage with smaler roundels is right. Anyway, very nice Hawk, congratulations :thumbsup:

I am not sure if I understand well. However I think the grey camouflage with smaller roundels is right. Anyway, very nice Hawk, congratulations

David

I thought I was right but I did a bit of research (after I built the kit) and found these:

Early Finnish 3-tone Hawk scheme with large roundels

FAFHawk8.jpg

Later Finnish 3- tone scheme with small roundels - I hadn't seen any pictures of this one

FAFHawk7.jpg

So I assumed the small roundels were for the latest 2-tone scheme and did my kit this way

FAFHawk3-1.jpg

With thanks to the original photographers and airliners.net

Thats really nice im building the same kit now but in a different scheme doesnt looks as nice as yours tho great job

Russ

Roland, thanks for explanation. I absolutely forget to this 3- tone scheme with small roundels :doh: . IMHO the small roundels looks much better on the 2 tone grey scheme.

I also like the old three tone scheme, because the overlapping undersurface grey on the fuselage looks nice. I intend to build it in 1/72 scale (Italeri, Airfix).

• 2 weeks later...