1/72 P-40 Kittyhawk

It's about time I made a start on this. The weather hasn't been as bad as I hoped. I used to like looking out on a grey and dismal day and think "Goody. I can stay in and model".

Standard box and tool shot. I might bring in some Tamiya tape later to errr....hold stuff.

IMG_8076.jpg

Parts ... not that many and it seems a bit small ... done far too many 1/48 jets. The pilot is a bit webbed and there's some slight offsets on some of the seams but it's workable. Old school rivets but very fine.

IMG_8077.jpg

Did a few parts and them gave them a wash in warm soapy water. It's my first time with acrylics and from the other builds this looks essential.

Trying a black undercoat on the pilot to see if I can drybrush on the upper layer and get some shadowing. Instructions aren't clear on the interior colours so took a punt with the dark grey. Paints going on OK but I'm doing it thin. There's also some water in the wings from the washing which is making the wheel wells impossible to paint at the minute.

As the wing tabs stick into the cockpit area I've attached the wings a la Sammy. There's a bit of a gap and I'm trying to get into the habit of gunging on the glue to fill the gaps.

IMG_8078.jpg

I'm going to have to take better pics than this... sorry

Edited by Plastic Bonsai

My photos got a bit better.

Pilot looked quite good after cleaning up and a few dabs with odd mixes

P401.jpg

After that I went into a bit of a decline. As others had done it to great effect I daubed it with the black paint... biiig mistake

P402.jpg

It took a lot of covering, many many layers. Overall the paints were not too bad. Hardly used any and spilt more. I had painted behind the rear glazing with the grey when it should have been brown according to the paint scheme.

Anyway it looked a lot better with the decals on.They went on quite well despite the rivets.I just had to cut the teeth under the spinner a little to get them to curl around.

P403.jpg

P404.jpg

p405.jpg

Wheels are push fitted and the prop still turns.

Overall it's cute - I think I like shark mouths and pleased to call something finished at last. Sometime I think I will do the Spit and Whirlwind this way.

Right. Back to keeping tabs on everyone