P47D Thunderbolt

magpie

Let's go! There seem to be two approaches to this GB. Take your time and use your skill to make as good a job as possible, RobF's lovely Spitfire being a good example, or do it quickly and have some fun with it. I'm going for the second option. Tools laid out.

DSCF1127copy.jpg

You may have spotted something not included with the kit. 2 bottles of Snecky which will enhance my modelling experience and remind me it's just a bit of fun.

DSCF1129copy.jpg

Stunning cockpit and engine detail.

I picked this kit for one reason. The first model I ever built and painted on my own, without dad's help, was the Frog P47D. Even though it's not the same kit it's still a little reminder for me of childhood days and I'll try to build it exactly as I would have done then.

DSCF1131copy.jpg

The paints are best slopped on thickly. No point trying to actually paint with them. In my younger days I remember using bottles of Airfix glossy enamels which were easier to use. Who remembers them? I've painted the cockpit black and I'll bung the pilot in later.

DSCF1137copy.jpg

Airframe assembled, nice big gaps at the wing roots, probably fill them with paint. I've lopped off the prop blades it will be wheels up flight mode for me.

DSCF1138copy.jpg

First bottle of Snecky consumed and I've had an idea! Glad I didn't throw away the clear plastic packing.

DSCF1139copy.jpg

The rules state only whats in the box can be used. I presume the BOX itself can be used. In memory of the old Airfix stands I took some of the plastic packaging surrounding the paintbrushes, rolled it into a tube, and cut off one side of the box to make a display stand. And NO sticky tape to hold it together just cut and spliced.

Paint and decals, sorry TRANSFERS, tomorrow.

In memory of the old Airfix stands I took some of the plastic packaging surrounding the paintbrushes, rolled it into a tube, and cut off one side of the box to make a display stand.

Now that's CLASS, that is.... must be the Snecky ;)

Good luck with the transfers!

The rules state only whats in the box can be used. I presume the BOX itself can be used. In memory of the old Airfix stands I took some of the plastic packaging surrounding the paintbrushes, rolled it into a tube, and cut off one side of the box to make a display stand. And NO sticky tape to hold it together just cut and spliced.

Well done. Use of the packaging is well within the rules.

Thinking with the box!

Time to finish it off.

DSCF1145copy.jpg

The grey covered well so I did two coats over the whole model.

DSCF1147copy.jpg

Painted canopy frames a bit shaky but not too bad. Surprising how clear the canopy looks. The thick paint has filled the gaps in the wing roots nicely.

DSCF1150copy.jpg

Transfers on. Glossy but good quality.

DSCF1151copy.jpg

Not being able to use Klear means they have silvered a bit. Still looks quite decent though and I'm happy with it.

DSCF1164copy.jpg

All done in three sessions about five hours altogether. First time for ages I've built anything wheels up. Might well do another with a proper wooden base.