Spitfire Dave's build

davidelvy

Well, here we go:-

2010_04030095.jpg

Fist step is to mix some interior grey-green and apply to the inside.

2010_04030097.jpg

Then paint the little blokie. No red to make a flesh tone so I'll make do with Sky. Maybe he's airsick.

2010_04030103.jpg

Then trap him in the fuselage.

2010_04030114.jpg

Next step is to attach the wings. I decided to fifix the upper sections first, attaching the lower wing with tape to act as a guide. Then when the uppper sections were set the lower wing was glued in place.

2010_04030118.jpg

Meanwhile the undercarriage and radiator were prepared.

2010_04030112.jpg

2010_04030110.jpg

That's it for today. Hopefully more tomorrow.

Next step is to mark out the camouflage pattern.

2010_04050021.jpg

Then block it in with solid colour. Only the colour is not solid. This is an area where these kits really fall down. The paint is terrible. If you don't thin it it goes on like yoghurt - dense where it is thick, transleucent where it isn't. If you thin it you need to apply coat after coat.

2010_04050022.jpg

Meanwhile I have been applying coat after coat of black to the wheels. No silver with this kit so I decided to leave the hubs bare plastic and gine them a black wash.

2010_04050023.jpg

More when I can upload the images.

On the home straight now. Decals on. Just the canopy to add. Oh bugger, where's the canopy?

012.jpg

It seems the clear sprue was missing. No problem. The Boy had a Spitfire from a Make and Take that he hasn't looked at for a while.

2010_04050004.jpg

Et voila!

013.jpg

014.jpg

017.jpg

Overall I enjoyed this build. The kit goes together well and there was less filling and fiddling than I anticipated. The decals went on well, which surprised me given comments I have read regarding airfix decals. However, they really need a layer of matt varnish to blend their glossy surface with the matt of the paint. Ah yes, the paint. That is the major let-down with these kits. It really is appalling and makes it very hard for the novice to achieve even coats. I thinned mine, but still ended up with a blotchy finish, which I found difficult to control. As for the brush, I found this surprisingly good for a cheapie. It was very easy to control and could be used for much finer work than I anticipated.

That's nice, Dave - looks a bit bare underneath, though. No decals for the underside?

No, there weren't any.

I thought that by the time sky undersides were introduced underwing roundels were standard, but in 1940 there were so many exceptions to the apparent rules that I cannot say that Airfix have got it wrong.

Edited by davidelvy