Mirage IIIC and a wee one on the side

Greetings all

I'm off with a Dassault Mirage IIIC and my wee 6 year old lad is joining in with a Red Arrows Gnat. First the obligligatory photos:

Rhys looking happy with his kit (wonder if he realises the pain and torment this little moment will have on him later in life if he takes up this hobby!!)

012.jpg

The Gnat

013.jpg

Diving in straight away, with the first (of lets face it, many!) paint spillage

018.jpg

Looking suitably impressed with my kit photo by Rhys (hence the hunched appearance to get into shot)

015.jpg

The kit itself!

017.jpg

Looking forward to this build, I have been slacking since Crimbo but hopefully this will give me the kick up the posteria that I need. More shots to follow soon!

Cheers now

Bob

Gonna be watching this one

Looking at my painting effort, probably best not to watch too closely! :whistle:

Well ive been cracking on since the weekend and forgetting to take photos, so here one before sticking together. Not sure about the brown cockpit though.

001-2.jpg

The fit was okay (seeing the moulds are older than me!), there was quite a bit of flash but all went together well. The seams were then scraped away with my trusty knife (with a dirty blunt blade for that authentic feel, luckily there were no unfortunate slips resulting in digit loss!). I chose this aircraft to give me more of an interesting time painting and it looked quite pleasing on the eye. The painting went well except where i went over just applied paint, so the surface finish isnt quite authentically smooth (I prefer enamal or Halfords cans). After several coats to cover mistakes it is almost acceptable and ready for decalling, just hope they adhere to matt paint well, I shall find out tomorrow! All painting was done free hand and fine lines done suitably wobbly. All gaps were filled by running copious amounts of paint into them, the way it should be!

004-2.jpg

006-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Meanwhilst Rhys has been slacking a bit, weather has been nice so he's been out rolling in mud (or playing footy as he calls it!). I cant compete with that so hes done a couple of evenings. Paint has been applied and it should be ready for decalling tomorrow as well. Here he is in action (this is not a posed shot, he is always this happy!)

003-3.jpg

007-1.jpg

And so Rhys when youve finished your model you will treasure it and take care of it wont you

Yes dad I will

008-1.jpg

Edited by moaning dolphin

Well done to Rhys for giving it a go....excellent result!

Liking the Mirage. I did think about doing this one myself. In fact, now my FW is all but finished, I may well have to have a walk down to my local model shop......

Greetings all

Thanks for the kind words! I've finished the Mirage and am sort of happy with it (30 years ago i would have been well chuffed!!). Fit was ok, Paints were hard going, the silver was a complete waste of time! decals did adhere to the matt finish then some seemed to vanish overnight into thin air where as others would magically appear on my fingers! Here are the final fots with the beast fully loaded, not sure what with but fully loaded.

Rhys on the other hand is still more interested in the sun and playing footy, hopefully we'll have a rainy day before the end of this group build

Enjoy!!

003-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

005-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

Not sure whats going on here, a new mod for the pilots helmet perchance?

009.jpg