A couple of add on to the rules

Hi All

As been pointed out to me and in the interest of not wanting naming in divorce papers, should you wish to use a cutting board please feel free to!!

Also if you should wish to stretch some sprue for lines that is allowed as well (only using the kit sprue and glue of course).

Keep up the good work

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
As in to make a wire? How do you do this?

To be honest, it's easier to show than to describe or explain. If you google stretching sprue

you should find a video somewhere.

But, briefly, you need a short (5cm should do) length of straight sprue and a heat source.

A candle (adequately secured to prevent accidents) is fine. Light the candle. Hold the sprue

at each end and position it just above the candle flame, watch the sprue carefully, keep a slight

tension on the sprue and you will notice it soften and the surface become "glossy". At this point,

remove the sprue from the heat source and simultaneously pull the ends of the sprue apart.

You should find that the soft glossy sprue will stretch into a thin filament like a length of wire.

It takes a little practice, but once you get "the knack" of it, you can control the thickness of your

product by varying the speed and extent of your "stretch". I think the problem most beginners

have is pulling the sprue without removing it from the heat. It will just break and maybe catch

fire as well! It's a useful technique to learn to create antenna wires, rigging, brake lines etc.

Good luck with it!

:coat:

To be honest, it's easier to show than to describe or explain. If you google stretching sprue

you should find a video somewhere.

But, briefly, you need a short (5cm should do) length of straight sprue and a heat source.

A candle (adequately secured to prevent accidents) is fine. Light the candle. Hold the sprue

at each end and position it just above the candle flame, watch the sprue carefully, keep a slight

tension on the sprue and you will notice it soften and the surface become "glossy". At this point,

remove the sprue from the heat source and simultaneously pull the ends of the sprue apart.

You should find that the soft glossy sprue will stretch into a thin filament like a length of wire.

It takes a little practice, but once you get "the knack" of it, you can control the thickness of your

product by varying the speed and extent of your "stretch". I think the problem most beginners

have is pulling the sprue without removing it from the heat. It will just break and maybe catch

fire as well! It's a useful technique to learn to create antenna wires, rigging, brake lines etc.

Good luck with it!

:coat:

Great explanation thanks, i remember doing this as a child but not to make wires, just because burning plastic is always fun!

OK I'll bite. What would you have used the candle for appart from stretching sprue?

I'm sure the wax could have been rubbed on the paint to create an interesting paint effect? As the wax would mask the areas it covers? :innocent: