HMS Diamond 1953

As a follow-up to my build of the 1930`s Dainty,I decided to scratch-build a 350th Daring class ship from the 1950`s.This class of vessel is well-known to those who have built the 600th Airfix ,which ,I believe is still available.The Aussie firm of Ozmods do a series of RAN "Darings"in 600th and 350th,but the 350th one depicts the re-built HMAS Vampire(?),which ended up looking nothing like a Daring.

I got some Nexus plans of the Diamond ,but these were 1/8th to the foot,they were huge,so,I had them reduced to 1/16th at a local printers ,to make them more managable.I also bought the Maritime book on the Darings,which has numerous clear photos of the class.

I`m off again

Cheerio ,Phil

DSCN0304.jpg

DSCN0299.jpg

A balsa wood template is made for the waterline plate

DSCN0300.jpg

The keel is laid

DSCN0301.jpg

The midships bulkhead is made

As a follow-up to my build of the 1930`s Dainty,I decided to scratch-build a 350th Daring class ship from the 1950`s.This class of vessel is well-known to those who have built the 600th Airfix ,which ,I believe is still available.The Aussie firm of Ozmods do a series of RAN "Darings"in 600th and 350th,but the 350th one depicts the re-built HMAS Vampire(?),which ended up looking nothing like a Daring.

I got some Nexus plans of the Diamond ,but these were 1/8th to the foot,they were huge,so,I had them reduced to 1/16th at a local printers ,to make them more managable.I also bought the Maritime book on the Darings,which has numerous clear photos of the class.

I`m off again

Cheerio ,Phil

DSCN0304.jpg

DSCN0299.jpg

A balsa wood template is made for the waterline plate

DSCN0300.jpg

The keel is laid

DSCN0301.jpg

The midships bulkhead is made

Blimey Phil you don't half churn them out!

Looking forward to yet another one of your builds.

Mark

I feel another masterpiece in the making. :popcorn:

Out of interest Phil, where do you put all your finished builds?

Hi Mish,I`m keeping my fingers-crossed!I`ve attached a couple of pics of my "Home Fleet",I`m running out space fast !!

Cheers Phil

DSCN0271.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

Made some progess today,I`ve made and added the length-wise bulkheads,fore and aft.I used small blocks of hardwood to ensure strengh and be absolutly upright.These were glued with CA,which for once worked for me!!

Cheers.Phil (Flag-Officer Home fleet!) :winkgrin:

DSCN0302.jpg

DSCN0303.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

I`ve come down to earth now,after getting my Airfix Lusty,so, back to business.I added the decks from 30thou PK,and made a start skinning the hull with 20 thou PK.I`ve deliberately made to hull higher than it should be,as I want plenty of freeboard for when I do the seascape.

Bye Phil

DSCN0305.jpg

DSCN0306.jpg

DSCN0307.jpg

The hull is nearly ready for painting,I`ve drilled out all the "scuttles",and filled in the bow with Milliput and body putty.The Darings had a very distinctive bow-shape,more like a pre-war US battleship.This is the first S/B I`ve done that didn`t have a "knuckle" on the bow,and also,the Darings had a squared-off stern ,both of which ,helped speed up the build.

Bye .Phil

DSCN0325.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

DSCN0322.jpg

The painting on the hull is finished,I used my own mixes for the Gray ,and Brunswick green deck colour,from Polly S paints.I was a bit perplexed,in the photos taken in the early 50`s ,this class of vessel didn`t carry the "D" pennant number on the hull.I suddenly twigged why this was,it was because the Admiralty thought the Darings were too big to be Destroyers ,so the listed them in a special catergory called "Daring class ships",and so didn`t apply the "D" numbers.Later they changed their minds and allocated D numbers.

The red name "Diamond"came from a modern RN decal sheet from the Resinshipyard,along with the Draught markings.Next step is to get the hull fixed to the base,and start the seascape.

Bye ,Phil

DSCN0332.jpg

RSCN0331.jpg

Out of interest theres a HMS Diamond being built at yoker with the number D34.

Click for larger image

th_diamond.jpg

Thanks for that ,the Diamond I`m building was D35, from about the mid-fifties.I liked that pic by the way,maybe a future build for me!!

Cheers ,Phil

Thanks for that ,the Diamond I`m building was D35, from about the mid-fifties.I liked that pic by the way,maybe a future build for me!!

Cheers ,Phil

If you need anymore pics give me a shout and i will take some. (Lucky we can do that in this country ;))