Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Stoo

1:72 Westland Whirlwind

Recommended Posts

Here are my two:

A50092.jpg

Dun Dun Duuuur

A50096.jpg

I'm chomping at the bit :D

Edit: Anyone notice that the airfix box shots all have the same coloured paints? ;)

Edited by Stoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just had a quick look at the sprues of my TR4a..

Has anyone got a seriously warped part 34?

309hjjd.jpg

27y780x.jpg

If your 34 isn't warped could you take a photo and show me what shape it *should* be? Ta :)

Edited by Stoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Stoo

I have this little car aswell, if you look at your top photo the part connected to the sprue is in the correct orientation and the warped part next to it needs to be rotated towards you (as you look at the photo) through about 90 degrees so that it sits in the same orientation with the rod between them. The pic of it in the iinstructions isn't great but hopefully will help you make sense of this description. As soon as I can get the camera and computer to talk I'll put a pic on here for you, here goes...

02042010174.jpg

Edited by Graham77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Has anyone got a seriously warped part 34?

That's not warped, that's authentic - your TR4 has broken down at the road-side, after dumping all its oil ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I'm going to abandon the TR4a already - It looks like I'm missing an entire sprue - I've got no hubs, roof, and a bunch of other bits.

Not impressed :/

I'll check the whirlwind to make sure that has everything, if it has, I'll make a start on that instead..

Looks like the TR4 will be used for practising my air-brushing later.. oh well.

Edited by Stoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a few updates:

Pilot + seat:

2utpvns.jpg

Managed to mix a vaguely flesh toned colour for the face, and something roughly passable for the flight gear..

In his office:

r1eywj.jpg

I've gotten the wings and tail on, along with the "spinning" props, now working on the undercarriage, then time for more paint - more pics tomorrow though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few more pics:

2qxxls5.jpg

2qvw10z.jpg

1zdytll.jpg

Under carriage bays to glue on next, then I'll start painting the exterior :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good, Stoo - it's interesting to see the different approaches to the same kit - for instance, I painted my props before mounting them, and I'm leaving undercarriage, wheelbay doors and all the other sticky-outy-bits to as near the end as possible ('cos I know from experience that I'm too cack-handed not to break them off if I attach them sooner ;) ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers :)

The flesh tone was a mix of 24 & 90, with a little smidge of 33 to darken it, then there was lots of faffing until it looked right on my hand :)

2ufq1p3.jpg

you can see a bit of my testing on my thumb, but there was a whole lot more on the back of my hand.. can't do that with enamel! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inspired, Stoo - I darkened up the 24 with 33, but I figured that adding 90 would make it go blue - clearly, not! Good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've put a couple of coats of camo on, and a few coats on the underside..

I didn't realise the underside paint was satin.. *grumble*

The finish is a tad streaky at the moment as I'm going with lots of light coats - hopefully it won't look too awful by the time I'm done..

Oh well, back to work tomorrow, but at least I can pop into Hannants and see what they've been up to :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting there...

hvz79c.jpg

I'm finding it's taking about 3-4 good coats to fully cover.

I've got the nacelles to finish painting (no camo on the underside yet), then I need to paint and attach the various breakables, and finally put some paint on the props (I leave them almost last as I tend to catch them while handling the model, and end up chipping paint off them..

Then the fun and games begins with putting decals onto matt paint.. eek!

edit: oh yes, I also need to do the yellow on the front outer of the wings, and the black on the inner wing front too..

Edited by Stoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice, Stoo.

Yes, I found the decals went on OK - but after photographing for this GB, I put a coat of Klear over them to keep them in place, then mattcote all over to take the shine off. I added the ariel wires too - didn't fancy doing those in stretched sprue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers peeps, getting there now, most of the paint is done other than the odd touch-up here and there :)

rkwpl2.jpg

Stick the rest of the breakables on, then decals, and this one's done :)

Edited by Stoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I wonder what he's doing with those huge hands............. :blush:

Simple! Playing with his joystick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hehe

Okay, I'm done.. (my word, I really hate decals..)

Quick pics for now, proper ones later..

2v0h0mf.jpg

zyat6s.jpg

24yb6hk.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...