1/72 Red Arrows Gnat & 1/72 Spitfire Mk I

Got the Spitfire and Gnat starter sets today. 4 days when I should be doing assignments for work will now be spent under the psychotropic effects of the Airfix glue (probably the strongest smelling adhesive available to the hobbyist). Biggest fear for me though is the removal of the extensive mould seams on the rally car (deciding on a Pug 206 or Pug 307 gift set, whichever I can find in the stash first) without some decent wet and dry to hand. Or filler...... Or primer...... :yikes:

Edited by Happy Martian

So these are what I'll be attempting....

IMG_0001.jpg

In memory of my modelling youth, I'll be using my Mum's nail file instead of Wet & Dry. I hope she doesn't notice the excess plastic on it in the morning :closedeyes:

First up is the Red Arrows Folland Gnat. 34 parts and 4 paints; 11 Silver, 22 White, 85 Black and 19 Red. Strangely, white isn't used at all in this build so I can't see why it was included. And the red isn't brilliant red as it should be. This is more crimson. I may have to mix in some white to tone it down. Ah, now I know why the white was there :winkgrin:

IMG_0004.jpg

Started with some basic on the fret painting. The mould is definitely showing its age, together with a historic amount of flash.

IMG_0006.jpg

And while the first coats on Pilot 1st Class T. Snowdon are drying overnight, I tried some dry-fitting of the main parts. Definitely will be some gaps to overcome (somehow).

IMG_0008-1.jpg

Hopefully some more tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to withdraw this build. Not that it didn't go together badly but as has been said on other threads, the paint is awful. For a Red Arrow red, the closest I could get with the mixing was either the straight scarlet that's provided or a rather feminine pink :huh: Plus, to make it really realisitc for a build from my youth, the canopy has gone AWOL and I'm not going to open another kit to replace this one. Rather than continue on and waste the decals which do look very well printed, I'll forego the remainder of this build and move on to the Spitfire or the Honda motorbike.

• 2 weeks later...

After the failed Gnat and work assignments that delayed me restarting, I'm going to try again with the Airfix Spitfire.

Prerequisite box and sprue shots

IMG_0012-1.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

I actually think this is the shortest instruction set I've ever used. Should hopefully have this done by the weekend.

Edited by Happy Martian