Italeri's 1:35 Schnellboot Typ 100

Hi there,

I've only recently got back into plastic modelling after 25+ years. I've been thinking about it for a year or two but finally got back into it after watching James May's 1:1 spitfire build on TV. So things like filling, filing, pre-shading, airbrushes and (more than anything) photo etch were complete unknowns to me until a couple of months ago. Fortunately there are some guys at work with good knowledge to share so coping quite well.

Anyway I found this kit on t'internet and thought "I'd love to do that in a few year's time). Needless to say I soon found myself walking out of a model shop with it under my arm - still don't quite know how it got there.

So here is my link to my flickr photos of it and I'm glad to say I'm having a ball.

Schnellboot build

Don't know what happened their, just spent 20 minutes adding photos for them all to disappear with out trace :angrysoapbox.sml:

The kit

4434135285_e1a26e6559.jpg

The hull takes shape

4434158073_861eb9d4a6.jpg

Props, shafts, rudders and paint added

4445581035_83a7e2f5e7.jpg

Torpedo door (and my first ever photo etch added

4462787759_81b34eaf69.jpg

Comong along well, I have several books on the beast and there's a lot on the web - plus a few colour schemes the late ones never carried. Enjoy the build.

Fraser

Nice work! I'm holding out for the Vosper MTB, probably December if I'm lucky. If I'm not SWMBO will find out how much they cost and ban the acquisition!

F

Nice work! I'm holding out for the Vosper MTB, probably December if I'm lucky. If I'm not SWMBO will find out how much they cost and ban the acquisition!

F/

Me too, although I'd prefer the Fairmile D. Any idea which Vosper Italeri are bringing out? From the photo on Italeri's flyer I saw it looks like it'll be a 70 or 72 foot boat, not the four tube 73 foot beauty

A superb build, a quick question, what brass colour did you use for the torpedo noses?

Thanks, the brass colour is actually Revell gold (their brass is a bit too orange for my liking - see the bell in the wheelhouse picture). I think I'm going to have to try and tone the colours on the torpedoes down a bit though.

Me too, although I'd prefer the Fairmile D. Any idea which Vosper Italeri are bringing out? From the photo on Italeri's flyer I saw it looks like it'll be a 70 or 72 foot boat, not the four tube 73 foot beauty

70ft two tuber for me please...

Thanks, the brass colour is actually Revell gold (their brass is a bit too orange for my liking - see the bell in the wheelhouse picture). I think I'm going to have to try and tone the colours on the torpedoes down a bit though.

The revell gold is a good brass colour indeed. Not only the Revell, but most 'brass' is to coppery I reckon.

That looks like a rather nice kit... I know that Lucky Model are currently having a bit of a sale on these, but I just can't justify the cost these days... :hmmm: Are you going to use any of the new aftermarket gear that's been trickling through? I saw some tasty looking mines in Model Aviation World a couple of issues ago :)

It's coming along nicely. I like the etched brass on the wheel cap.

thanks

Are you bringing it into work to let me have a look sometime? ;D

Don't think I'll be able to get it on the back of my push bike :who-let-rip:

Are you going to use any of the new aftermarket gear that's been trickling through? I saw some tasty looking mines in Model Aviation World a couple of issues ago

I like the look of the mines (Cammet) but might plump for the depth charges. Did comtemplate the canvas dodgers but where the model will have to go these will hide most of the stuff on deck, haven't worked out yet what is wrong with the gunshield supplied that Cammet have corrected!!

It's coming along nicely. I like the etched brass on the wheel cap.

thanks

Are you bringing it into work to let me have a look sometime? ;D

Don't think I'll be able to get it on the back of my push bike :who-let-rip:

Are you going to use any of the new aftermarket gear that's been trickling through? I saw some tasty looking mines in Model Aviation World a couple of issues ago

I like the look of the mines (Cammet) but might plump for the depth charges. Did comtemplate the canvas dodgers but where the model will have to go these will hide most of the stuff on deck, haven't worked out yet what is wrong with the gunshield supplied that Cammet have corrected!!

Have now added the armoured bridge cap. This has been the worst piece to fit to the ship so far (the hull sides leaned out too far but brute force and super glue seem to have done the trick!)

4500408495_48f51d9b59.jpg

4501045790_347de8749a.jpg

Just had a look through your thread Folkbox.

I have to say that the build really looks the business. Well done mate. :speak_cool:

As others have said, I think I need to pop into my local shop to see if they have one of these. Just to get rid of some disposable income you understand.

Deacon