Airfix GB 2010

Well guys its nearly here - a whole month of getting back to basics.

Now let battle commence and do not forget in the coming days and weeks 'Fortune favours those with a hairy stick!'

Edited by Paul Brickles

You know, I'm actually quite apprehensive about this build!! Its been 20 years since I brush painted a whole airframe, and even then I was using flat brushes!! I think this one will really test some of us, and remind us of how much modelling has come in the last 40 years, and how much faith we put in to all those new fangled products we now use.

Mark

Couldnt agree more Mark - I have built a couple of these kits prior to letting a group of Scouts on them and they aint easy !!

Should be fun :o

Well, TBH, I have an advantage then, because I have never used an airbrush.....however, I haven't build an aircraft in years and years either, so I really will be a "starter" anyway, lol

I'm just wondering how I'm going to do justice to the mottled appearance of the FW......oh, and paint the black areas, such as the prop and tyres, without a black paint included in the kit!!!

even then I was using flat brushes!!

I know what you mean - I'm not an air-blower anyway, but those skinny little things are going to make life interesting when it gets to the larger areas.

I'm also curious as to how well decals are going to stick to a matt paint finish without a little Klear to help things along :)

... but looking forward to it! If the first one goes well, I may even manage to bung a second one together before the deadline.... depends on how the banana sandwiches hold out, and whether Lost In Space is on TV or not ;)

Well, TBH, I have an advantage then, because I have never used an airbrush.....however, I haven't build an aircraft in years and years either, so I really will be a "starter" anyway, lol

I'm just wondering how I'm going to do justice to the mottled appearance of the FW......oh, and paint the black areas, such as the prop and tyres, without a black paint included in the kit!!!

My son josh built the FW 190 starter kit was his first model. The mottled effect is quite easy to achive well. All you need do is leave the mottling to very last and trim the brush by 2/3 and using a dry brush stipling technique you can get a reasonable almost sprayed finish the trick is to us a almost dry brush and dab.

here's his finished fw 190 flying proudly on his bedroom ceiling just like every good young modeller.

fw190.jpg

My son josh built the FW 190 starter kit was his first model. The mottled effect is quite easy to achive well. All you need do is leave the mottling to very last and trim the brush by 2/3 and using a dry brush stipling technique you can get a reasonable almost sprayed finish the trick is to us a almost dry brush and dab.

here's his finished fw 190 flying proudly on his bedroom ceiling just like every good young modeller.

fw190.jpg

I must admit..that was the thought I was having....

Unfortunately, my rally car idea stalled at the first leg due to heavy warpage of the main body. So as an alternative (and after I finished the 2 planes I've committed to), can I request a clearance on this kit as a follow-up if time permits ?

IMG_0003.jpg

While it's not recorded as a starter or gift set, it does include paints, brush and glue. And as its over 10 years old and still factory sealed, I dread to think the state of the contents :sick:

Edited by Happy Martian