1:72 Red Arrows Hawk

Mike

I might be a bit late in starting this one chaps, as I have a thing going on this week that's going to keep me away from my PC and workshop for a lot of the time. I shall be back lashing it together shortly though, although I'm not anticipating winning any prizes ^_^

Got my kit back off Dan today... cor... it's small. And the fit's a bit poo, and I've lost the instructions :doh:

How long does it take for the Poly Cement to dry?

I've got the instructions if you need them!

Antony

Thanks Anthony - I'll pinch the instros from a 1:48 Hawk & see whether that tallies. From memory, it does :)

Dunno... Chris' debacle with the reds' Gnat has really got me worried. I might try the other scheme.... oh fudge! :angry: I haven't got any decal placement guide! :crying:

Anthony, could I have a scan of your instructions please? :(

N'kay... I have some progress of sorts to report.

I couldn't be arsed taking a pic of my tools, and as there's no extant box, I can't take a pic of that either. :shrug:

On with the build!

I started by putting together the cockpit shell - doesn't that precision poly come out quick? :lol::blush: As I've got no instruction I put the front bulkhead on backwards, so had to remove that... I now know that the glue does bond, which is a good thing, most of the time :blush: I worked out what the funny part was, and glued that into the nosewheel well, then glued the lot into one fuselage side.

I cleaned up the pilots with the edge of my knife, and gave them a slightly diluted coat of the darker of the two greys. Face & helmet were painted white, as were the hands, and then a black visor, face mask and white buckles were added. I mixed up some red with white and painted their fizzogs pink, then washed their faces with a dilute mix of black & red. I washed the flight suits with dilute black, and then dry-brushed the creases with a light grey & white mix. The front seater doesn't seem to have any legs due to the moulding being a bit... erm... lacking in footwells for the poor lad, and even the front seat has to sit in a hole because the cockpit floor would have his head sticking through the canopy. Oops! :lol:

I painted the cockpit with light grey and the gear bays (plus gear legs) with the other grey, which I'll wash with dilute black when they're dry. I think the pit needs another coat of grey first though - can anyone advise on how long to leave the paint before overcoating?

Anyway - the pic:

airframe1.jpg

Oh, I forgot - I glued up the intakes, sanded the seams and attached them to the fuselage after tidying up those pesky intake lips. I've also built up the cannon pod, which still needs tidying up, but I've remembered to open up the holes in the underside of the fuselage. Must be a first for me! :frantic:

I just did a quick paint test on the wingtips of the Hawk, and I think I've either had a revelation, or some bit of flukery. I've noticed in the past how the likes of yellow & red cover better with the addition of white, so I painted one wingtip with pure red, then the other with red and a touch of white. A very minimal difference in the color, but the coverage was very different. The pure red went on a bit draggy and left significant areas of brushmarks & was lacking in opacity. The white tainted red however went on lovely, and possibly wouldn't need another coat. I don't quite understand why this happened, but if I can replicate it, it'll mean that I can continue with my original plan to do a Red Arrow :)

As promised, here's a pic of the wings. "tainted" paint on the left, neat paint right... it's quite a difference, innit? :hmmm:

painttest.jpg

Yeah... both colors have had a few drops of deionised water added to the freshly opened pots, followed by copious shaking. I think the key is to get it on wet too - my brush was well loaded, so if I can keep that up when I paint the thing for real, it should go ok :)

Incidentally, I've decided that rather than leave half the panel lines behind after sanding the seams, I'm going to remove them all, on the basis that it should make the painting easier, and as a little test of the "you can't see panel lines at those sorts of scales!" argument.

I've shaved some strips off a skinny bit of sprue and glued them into the gaps at the tail, as a bit of an experiment to see if it'll work. I've also sanded back the joint between the intakes and the fuselage, which I'm hoping are now "smooth". The landing gear struts have been given a wash of diluted black, which has brought out the details quite well. I'm currently painting up the seats, and will install the drivers once those are finished. Then it's a case of painting the coamings, then I can add the canopy & windscreen :unsure:

airframe2.jpg

Thanks Chris - it was your experience that had me panicking :frantic: The amount of white was infinitesmal - say 1:20?

Seats & growbags installed. The wing is still push-fitted, as is the main landing gear. Some of the seams have been part sanded, but some of the seams are still a little soft, which is down to the glue not yet being cured. :raincloud:

airframe3.jpg

2 small pots of red, one of black, one each of 2 shades of grey and 1 white. Should be plenty unless I lose grip on one & spray the workshop with it :S

Try it matey... just mix a bit on a tray (or summit) and paint a wing tip. If it works, report back & share the love ;)