1:72 Red Arrows Hawk

Mike

Matt black IIRC.

Coming on nicely there Mike. These original Airfix Hawks are remarkably accurate although I think the cockpit lets it down quite a bit . I can't work out why they engineered the intermediate blast shield to attach to the instructors instrument shroud rather than then canopy like the real thing - I guess it's a "risk of canopy fogging" issue... who knows? Shape-wise they're really good though.

I know it's the Starter Kit GB so I'm not suggesting you do anything about it - just rambling really. Keep up the good work.:)

I don't remember correctly (again). They're grey like the cockpit. Not that you can see them with the canopy closed.

:lol: No... I've got carpal tunnel syndrome, which makes me a bit clumsy when handling things. Still waiting for an appointment to see what the quacks propose to do about it now it's been diagnosed though :rolleyes:

That's a simple little operation, that'll leave you with a dinky little zigzag scar on the heel of your hand and your wrist.

Shouldn't put you out of action for more than a couple of weeks!

:coat:

That's a simple little operation, that'll leave you with a dinky little zigzag scar on the heel of your hand and your wrist.

Shouldn't put you out of action for more than a couple of weeks!

:coat:

Glad to hear it Gaz... my mum had it done in the 80s - it's a family thing, and I'd heard the technology had come on a bit since then. It's getting the buggers to give me an appointment for a consultation that's causing the delay in getting it sorted though :rolleyes:

btw - not done a tap on the Hawk... it's really titsing me off that the decals are so crap. The instructions arrived from Anthony today though, so cheers chap! :thumbsup:

Seriously... this time the camera is lying! :frantic:

small thing fella - there is a frame around the blast shield on the canopy

Tis good though - just shows what can be done with a starter kit and sludge paints ;)

small thing fella - there is a frame around the blast shield on the canopy

I just painted the edge white... couldn't be arsed with anything more ;)

It really looks good for something that seem to be struggling so much with you! :)

Still time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory :lol:

Well, that was a scary experience. :unsure:

I've decided to call this one done, as I just can't be arsed with it anymore ^_^ The paint was horrible, the decals old & flaky, disintegrating at the merest touch, so to a great extent it's been decal jigsaw this last few days... not much fun at all!!!

On the other hand though, trying to build this up with no extra frills has been an interesting experience, but one I won't repeat again in a hurry unless I'm allowed either an airbrush or some decent hand-brushable paints - so there! :tease:

Please don't be too kind about it, as the photo booth has been WAY too kind to the paintjob... anyway - here it is :)

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished3.jpg

finished4.jpg

...and the underside, where the decals were just HORRIBLE! :lol:

finished5.jpg

I'm looking forward to throwing away the paint, but if anyone wants any of the 1:72 weps that come with this kit or the closed up gear bay parts, let me know before they get buried in the parts bin ;)

I must say that it looks great, to be built with the quite limited means you had.

When knowing how almost impossible it is to achieve good results with these starter packs, it amazes me that any kids continue with the hobby at all. Always when people ask for advice on a good beginners kit for their children, I pick something like a new Tamiya and some good paint. They are almost fool proof. Usually the parents won´t listen, and go with something like this instead. Probably scaring the kids away forever....

I forgot to mention last night (in a rush) that I cheated with the decals & used some weak setting solution on the larger ones, as they just wouldn't have stayed on otherwise. I also used a dab of superglue on the broken landing gear legs for obvious reasons.

I figured no-one would mind seeing as I'm not entering myself in the prize draw ;)

When knowing how almost impossible it is to achieve good results with these starter packs, it amazes me that any kids continue with the hobby at all.

I guess it depends on the young'un's expectation of standard. Personally, I'd like to see the old mouldings gradually retired from the starter kit range, to be replaced by more modern toolings. I'd also like to see a small brush and a larger flat brush as part of the sets, and at least an adjustment of the formula of the paint so that it dries on the model, not on the brush.

I don't think that any of those wants are outwith the bounds of possibility, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Both my father and brother used household acetic acid for decals in the 70´s. Especially my brother, who built some quite good kits as I remember. I saw one of them, a Lancaster, when I visited our old summer house a few years ago, and even if time had taken it´s toll, I was still surpriced that the finish was as good as it was. Most of the decals where in place without silvering, and even if you could see brushmarks, I´m sure I couldn´t do as well with todays paint. The old Humbrol line from the 60´s and 70´s where a lot better than the crap today.

When it comes to superglue, I started using it in modelling in the early 80´s. It was great for fixing the landing gears, who usually where my nemesis in modelling as a child.:)

I think I was using CA in the 80s too, after reading a magazine that was I think called Starship Modelling - full of Star Wars kits & such, which I think was what tempted me into sci-fi for a few years. My initial copy got so dog-eared that I bought another one. In fact, it's still up in the loft, so I must get it down one day for a trip down memory lane.

I think that most decal solutions are acetic acid based anyway, so I'm not surprised your brother got on well with it. Wish I'd known about it back then, as I used to get quite a lot of silvering - too young to realise that matt paint was the cause. :doh:

I guess it depends on the young'un's expectation of standard. Personally, I'd like to see the old mouldings gradually retired from the starter kit range, to be replaced by more modern toolings. I'd also like to see a small brush and a larger flat brush as part of the sets, and at least an adjustment of the formula of the paint so that it dries on the model, not on the brush.

I don't think that any of those wants are outwith the bounds of possibility, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Good suggestions. Drying time should be possible to adjust. Must depend on the formula of the acrylic.

I havn´t read the instructions for any of these starter kits in years, but if they are as sparse as I remember, there isn´t much of good advice for kids either. Painting with modelling acrylics isn´t exactly ideal for children. I can see the advantages of adding a less toxic paint and probably most important, easier to remove from clothes and furniture. :D

I've already had my rant about starter kits on another thread, so I won't dive in again :)

The photos may flatter, Mike - but it still looks pretty good to me. Paint looks fine, and personally, I *always* have at least one torn or wonky decal on a model (it's like a little trademark of mine....)... always assuming they were in-register to start with, which yours clearly weren't. Excellent job with limited resources, and 10/10 for perseverance when there were obviously times when you would have been happy to see it nose-diving into the wheelie-bin from a considerable height.