1:72 Red Arrows Hawk

Mike

There's always a posh kid, isn't there. I'll bet he's got a cutting mat as well..... ;)

I've got a bloody airbrush too, but they won't let me use it! :crying:

Thanks Mish. :)

Today's quandry. I don't seem to have a centreline "smoke tank" on my sprues. Quite odd, given that the kit was in a Red Arrows box set... :hmmm: What's all that about then? Anyone got one spare, or should I just give it a gun pack for those unappreciative spectators? :wicked:

Until Airfix's latest offering no one did a smoke pod.

Here's a thought though:

The Red Arrows fly TMk 1A' s which means they are wired for sidewinders. They have a war role for airfield defence and there was a publicity shot of a Red with gun pack and sidewinders - pylons and gun were the grey camo version.

They were to be camoflaged if used in a real war but I thought nah! Stooge along in full fig, some enemy pilot will spot you, and think "I'm gonna get me a Red" and try and get into a firing position and completely fail to spot your camoflaged companions (one for him and one for his wingman).

I've been doing some painting of the red. it isn't fun... no really, it isn't. I've applied it as smoothly as possible and rubbed it down, done it again and rubbed it down... ad infinitum. :blink:

The pic makes it look great, but believe me when I say that it's far from it. Ignore the cockpit sills - I'll touch them up when I decide what color they should be.

airframe4.jpg

I dropped it earlier today, and the back seater ejected in panic, so I'll have to glue him back in later. :rolleyes:

I've been doing some painting of the red. it isn't fun... no really, it isn't. I've applied it as smoothly as possible and rubbed it down, done it again and rubbed it down... ad infinitum. :blink:

The pic makes it look great, but believe me when I say that it's far from it. Ignore the cockpit sills - I'll touch them up when I decide what color they should be.

airframe4.jpg

I dropped it earlier today, and the back seater ejected in panic, so I'll have to glue him back in later. :rolleyes:

Looks pretty amazing to me! That red paint is superb

Shurrup you Mark, or I'll tell my dad on you :fight:

I actually have a big Airfix stand lurking on my desk... :hmmm:

Oh, and I dropped it again last night & broke off the nose gear. Guess I'll have to pin it with a length of paperclip, which were invented in the 1800s, so perfectly acceptable to use :tease:

Dropped it again? Is this an attempt to recreate the Kastelli incident? :)

:lol: No... I've got carpal tunnel syndrome, which makes me a bit clumsy when handling things. Still waiting for an appointment to see what the quacks propose to do about it now it's been diagnosed though :rolleyes:

Cheers Mish :)

I've decided "stuff it", as I a ) doubt I'll get the paint finish any better, and b ) can't be bothered ^_^ so as soon as Anthony's kind donation of the instructions turns up, I'll be decaling this monkey, meanwhile I'll touch up all the little dribbles of red I have lurking around cos I was too damn lazy to mask ;)

I've just realised that I have 1 whole pot of red paint left, and a fair quantity of the other one left. What happened there then? :blink:

Ignore the cockpit sills - I'll touch them up when I decide what color they should be.

Matt black IIRC.

Coming on nicely there Mike. These original Airfix Hawks are remarkably accurate although I think the cockpit lets it down quite a bit . I can't work out why they engineered the intermediate blast shield to attach to the instructors instrument shroud rather than then canopy like the real thing - I guess it's a "risk of canopy fogging" issue... who knows? Shape-wise they're really good though.

I know it's the Starter Kit GB so I'm not suggesting you do anything about it - just rambling really. Keep up the good work.:)

"Rubbed it down?" Where does it say in the rules :whistle: you can do that, unless you are a total whiz with a sanding block or small file ? :smartass:

My Whirlwind (pics to follow) is developing a highly 'weathered' look as I layer on coat after coat of slightly diluted paint. Whoever was worried if there's enough paint for two coats, don't be! I've put five on the bottom of the Whirlwind and have got barely a fifth of the way through the tub.

However... yes, that red does look glorious!

Mike

"Rubbed it down?" Where does it say in the rules :whistle: you can do that, unless you are a total whiz with a sanding block or small file ? :smartass:

Doesn't say you can't either :tease:

Anyway... using reference photos I've got some of the decals on the port side. They're thin, out of register, they tear at the drop of a hat, and they're a bit transparent. :shrug:

airframe5.jpg

Looks really good Mike, have the instructions pitched up yet?

Antony

Not yet matey - Sod's law, eh? :rolleyes: It'll still come in handy for the stencils & little decals - unless of course it doesn't turn up for 6 months :doh:

Very impressive, I think competition is hotting up!

Nah, I'm having a mare with the decals, and am very tempted to leave it somewhere cold & dark for the rest of eternity :S