1/72 Northrop F-5E Tiger II and Sons 1/72 AW Seahawk

glen davis

Here's mine and and my sons kits ready to go

Mine

SKGBTiger01.jpg

Always loved the F-5E Tiger II ever since i saw top gun at the cinema all those years ago never built one before looking forward to this roll on 2nd

My Sons

SKGBSeahawk01.jpg

He chose this kit himself because he liked the card paint on the aircratf.

If I can find one i'm also going to build the hawker typhoon purely becuase it was the first model I built as a child

Glen and Son

Edited by glen davis

• 2 weeks later...

At last ready to start unfortunately I've been banished from the kitchen table so have to build it in my workshop.

F-5E01.jpg

Stage 1

Wash the kit in soapy water to remove the release agent used in the molding process this should make the paint adhere better a trick I learn't from painting 100's of warhammer figures.

F-5E02.jpg

Just need to wait for it to dry.

Wash the kit in soapy water to remove the release agent used in the molding process this should make the paint adhere better

It's amazing how much of a difference this seems to make, especially when using acrylics.

It's amazing how much of a difference this seems to make, especially when using acrylics.

yes the release agents stop the paint sticking properly. also i find using a slightly watered down undercoat of white or black acrylic works wonders too with the F-5E you get loads of White so using that watered down as a primer

Cockpit and pilot complete.

The cockpit was undercoated with 33 watered down then top coated with grey made from mixing 33 and 130.

The pilot was undercoated with 130 watered down. I painted the flying suit 155 then added 130 to lighten it a bit. I made a flesh colour from mixing 148 with a tiny amount of 186. The harness straps are 155 darken with 33 and the buckles 11. the boots and visor 33. The usaf flying gloves 130 and 33 with a bit of 155 to added a greenish tinge.

not to bad so far and used all the paints provided very pleased so far

F-5E03.jpg

Edited by glen davis

Thanks Guys its comimg along very nicely so far so good

Fuselage was assembled last night not the best fit and will need some serious filing.

F-5E04.jpg

the fuselage after filing and scraping wasn't as bad as i feared.

F-5E05.jpg

Touched up the anto glare shield with 33 the painted the hud 11 to represent glass

F-5E07.jpg

F-5E06.jpg

These F-5s look so nice..... I might have to get me one of these.

Yes milo i have vto agree I'm enjoying building this one so much i might get a some more to build with the benefit of unrestricted colours and tools. But that Said this kit comes with the right paints that with careful mixing can achive most colour required.

The construction is now complete. I primed the model with a white undercoat of 130 watered down. this went on smoothly and will give it a day or so to dry properly as the Mrs demands we go out today

F-5E10.jpg

How are the other F-5s comming along? not seen any threads yet.

How are the other F-5s comming along? not seen any threads yet.

There are three others in-progress:

Chaotic Mike's Son - just starting

Royster - assembly done

Sartois66 - assembly done

... but none finished so far (that I know of).

will give it a day or so to dry properly

Gasp! Letting paint dry? That's hardly the spirit ;)

Edited by Milo Black

There are three others in-progress:

Chaotic Mike's Son - just starting

Royster - assembly done

Sartois66 - assembly done

... but none finished so far (that I know of).

Gasp! Letting paint dry? That's hardly the spirit ;)

yeah i know but the boss sayes we have to go out for the day and if the boss sayes we go out we do if refuse to go i be on ban for ages if u know what i mean and she moan about the hours i spend shut up in my workshop lol best keep her sweet. Looking forward to see the other f-5s finished mine will be very soon.

Thanks royster looking forward to seeing your F-5E

I'm working on it mish lol just been banished from lounge to study cause i was annoying her during deadenders lol

The story so far build complete, model under coated.

Started the topcoat first stage is paint the model completely with 148. I have applied 3 coats maing sure to keep the paint watered down and regularly cleaning the brush otherwise it tends to get very sticky and you end up with a poor finish. I learn't this trick though endless hours using GW paints on warhammer figures first time i've used aycrlics on large flat areas and its worked reasonablly well.

F-5E11.jpg

F-5E12.jpg

Camoflage done was a pain it always suprises me how badly the dark shades cover. This took 4 coats

F-5E14.jpg

F-5E13.jpg

Painting now completed time for the decal

F-5E15.jpg

F-5E16.jpg

Looking very nice there, I think i'm going to have to move on to one of these after my P-47D, these kits are really addictive!

yes jazzy I know what you mean not sure i will do another using the paints in a starter kit.

Thanks tim yes i think they look great too

The nightmare is over the decals went on easier than i though best get on and arm it to the teeth with a very unrealistic warm war load but with kit i'm 8 again so who cares.

F-5E18.jpg

F-5E17.jpg

Thanks Kirk I'm very pleased with it. I really looking forward to seeing your F-5 and the others finished shame they don't do a starter kit F-15 or simular but i'm thinking i'll buy one to soon to display with the a second one i intend to build with out a ridiculus war load.

Edited by glen davis

F-5E Finished !!!!!!!!!!!

F-5E22.jpg

F-5E21.jpg

F-5E20.jpg

F-5E19.jpg

Borrowed the stand to photograph the model from my sons tie advanced model. It will be hang from the ceiling in josh's room soon. The wife wont let me hang it from our bedroom ceiling

Will be doing so more photos for the gallery tomorrow.