Tamiya 1/48 FW190 A8/R2

This is Tamiya's 1/48 FW190 A8/R2. It is my first ever FW190 and only my second attempt at mottling. I built this as an experiment for a few products and techniques I hadn't tried before... (Below my ramblings you'll find some photos!)

Montex masks: These were used to mask the canopy and all the markings on the aircraft except for the stencils. I've used their masks for canopies in the past and know they are almost as good as Eduard’s. Cheaper, but they aren't as flexible so it's harder to get them to conform over bulbous canopies.

The masks for the markings I haven’t used before. I found them harder than a decal to get into the correct position (I managed to get the crosses on the side of the aircraft are in wrong place!). I did experience some bleeding underneath them but I'm blaming myself this time; I'll try them again and be more careful in future.

HobbyDecal dry transfers: I used these instead of the stencil decals provided with the kit. They are easy to use, but make sure you get the position right before rubbing them on (the markings on the drop-tank are not centred. I only noticed once it was too late!). They are quite awkward to get positioned over lumps and bumps and don't like to sit on top of each other. They also pull off with tape, so be careful. I'm definitely using these again though. There's no silvering and I think they look great.

Paper masks: I cut around the Tamiya painting instructions for the camouflage demarcation. This was instead of my usual method of blu-tac sausages as they wouldn't have worked for the jaggy lines of the camouflage on this aircraft (I don't have the confidence to try freehand yet). Some bleeding under the masks was apparent, probably because the masks were too far off the surface of the model and I didn't manage to keep the airbrush at 90 degrees.

Mottling: My second attempt at this. I'd cut up the painting instructions without photo-copying them first so made the pattern up! I used my 0.2 nozzle and I think they are too large and faint. I will use my 0.15 nozzle next time.

Gunze: I decided to try the Gunze Aqueous line of paints after seeing a stunning BF109 on this site finished in them. The advantage here over my normal Tamiya paints is they come in a range of RLM colours and I didn't need to mix my own. They sprayed beautifully. The Glossy finish means you could use a wash over them and possibly even decal over them without a coat of Klear. The disadvantage here is they dry slower than Tamiya flat colours. Something I kept forgetting and managed to put a few finger prints in the paint.

Master gun barrels and pitot tube: Very nice metal parts that are more detailed than the plastic they replaced. I managed to pull the paint off the pitot with some tape so I'll be trying some Mr Metal Primer next time.

I used a total of 5 decals on this model. The one behind the seat in the cockpit (the dry transfers hadn't arrived in time), the little red and white emblems on the engine cowling and a pair of tiny markings on the wings that weren't on the dry-transfer sheet. I'm rubbish at putting decals on (the reason behind the dry transfers and paint masks!), but at least these didn't have to go across any panel lines. After removing each decal from the water and dabbing with a tissue to remove excess water I floated each one in Klear before placing them on the model. This prevented them from silvering, so I didn't need to try out my new bottle of Tamiya decal solution. (If anyone knows how to use this please let me know... I can't read Japanese.)

EDIT: Forgot to say I also used some of the Games Workshop washes on the interior, wheel bay and undercarriage.

The only other thing I added to this model were PE harnesses from an Eduard Luftwaffe set and an aerial cable of nylon from one of my wife’s old stockings!

I'm really pleased with the way the model turned out. I'll definitely be using all these products again and I now appreciate why the FW190 has such a large following - it's a great looking aeroplane.

Constructive criticism welcome as always.

4478997935_4f21223561_o.jpg

4479624800_7787b954a8_o.jpg

4478998651_8b70e24551_o.jpg

4478999059_55406c3251_o.jpg

4478999387_89d0b45b7a_o.jpg

4478999701_dcf56c9df6_o.jpg

4479000025_8a35733433_o.jpg

4479000329_7698ab5a67_o.jpg

4479000745_43bb78ceed_o.jpg

4479627528_e6150a848e_o.jpg

4479001597_2e9899da4c_o.jpg

4479002341_2027eee08d_o.jpg

4479002011_6755f36cf3_o.jpg

4479002663_82d834d34f_o.jpg

Jason

Edited by Jazzy Jase

There's nothing wrong with that mottling Jase. It might be a little sparse, but all these A/C were different from each other, so you may be spot on. Anyway, faint is good :)

One thing I pick up from those photos is the lack of cowling guns, and the fact that you have left some wash or something in the troughs. Apart from that I think it is a great looking model.

Jen.

Thanks Jen,

The instructions had me remove the cowling guns for this aircraft. That wash does show up quite a lot in the photos doesn't it. It's much more subtle in the flesh but I probably should have removed it anyway. I'm not sure how dirty it would get in there with no guns.

Thats a great build, spot on with the mottling and weathering! And 11/10 for that wonderful aerial wire, how on earth did you do the kink?

Adam

Thats a great build, spot on with the mottling and weathering! And 11/10 for that wonderful aerial wire, how on earth did you do the kink?

Adam

I wasn't sure if the kink was an error actually... I started by drilling very small holes into the post on the tail, fuselage and into the canopy. Then I glued one end of the nylon stocking thread into the post in the tail. Once it was set I stretched it over to the canopy and glued it in place. This resulted in a nice straight wire. Next I glued another length of thread into the hole in the top of the fuselage and let it dry. Finally I stretched this a little, let it touch the horizontal thread and glued it in place, cutting any excess. The stretchiness of the thread then pulled the horizontal thread down into the kink. And there you have it; Aerial wires... the second best use for stockings! :winkgrin:

Very nice indeed, how did you vary the tone of the upper surface colours?

Si.

I pre-shaded the entire model with black paint along the panel lines. Then sprayed the bottom blue, added some white and post shaded each panel. Then I went over it again with the original colour but highly thinned. I then masked the bottom off and sprayed the top grey, following the same post shading technique. Finally I masked the camouflage scheme with masks cut out of paper from the instructions, pre shaded again with black, followed by the green and the post shading again. Once I'd finished the model I gave the entire thing a spray with some tamiya black mixed with buff to tone down the whites and add some fading.

I wasn't sure if the kink was an error actually...

Well it sure looks the part to me! Is this nylon thread you talk about available on the High Street? Or local shops?

Adam

Well it sure looks the part to me! Is this nylon thread you talk about available on the High Street? Or local shops?

Adam

You could buy what I used in the supermarket, but you might get some odd looks from the cashier buying womens underwear if you're a bloke! :)

You could buy what I used in the supermarket, but you might get some odd looks from the cashier buying womens underwear if you're a bloke! :)

Mmmm, time to look through the girlfriends knickers methinks!! So in the supermarket, would it be in the habadashery?

Adam

ps, i'm used to weird looks, i have a untidy beard!!

Mmmm, time to look through the girlfriends knickers methinks!! So in the supermarket, would it be in the habadashery?

Adam

ps, i'm used to weird looks, i have a untidy beard!!

Ha ha, no it's not in the habadashery, you need to buy a pair of lace-top stockings and then pick the thread out of them.

Ha ha, no it's not in the habadashery, you need to buy a pair of lace-top stockings and then pick the thread out of them.

Oh good lord man! I pray to god a female bought them for you?

Adam

Oh good lord man! I pray to god a female bought them for you?

Adam

Of course! My wife was chucking them out. :S

btw, it's the lace-top bit that the thread came from.

Enjoy your shopping trip. :)

Edited by Jazzy Jase

Beeeeeeeeuuuutiful!!!.......the blasted thing looks like it's ready to go into action!!

Mate, that is awesome!!! :gobsmacked: I can't believe all the stencils are dry rubbed on....and the markings all sprayed?? awesome...just awesome

and your wife wears stockings!!!! some guys have all the luck!!! :wall:

Edited by timbo33

..agreed ..very nice indeed Jason

the Bundesarchiv images of Maximowitz's 'black 8' are here if interested

http://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/cross-sear...ch/_1270233081/

Thanks for that. Never knew about that website.

I don't know why, but I didn't think to look up any references for this build.

Looks like the cowling and spinner should have been glossier and the camouflage demarcation on the leading edge of the wings wavy.

More mottling need too. Ah well, never mind.

Edited by Jazzy Jase

• 2 weeks later...