Replacement engines

Grant

Hi Peeps,

The molding of the engine pots on my little Dr1 is terrible. I spotted some Aeroclub rotary engines on Hannants, but there were no pictures and I don't think any are exactly the right one for the Dr1. Close enough would do, but I need to see one to decide which would be best..

Anybody have any thoughts or experience of replacement 1/72 rotary engines? Any bright ideas for scratchbuilding one at that scale would also be welcome.

TIA

Grant

The Oberstauel (sp) on the DR1 was a copy of the Le Rhone, so pretty close.

Dave - Didn't know that, and it is very welcome news.

peebeep - Thanks for the photo. It looks very like the artwork I have, so should do just nicely.

Well done Gents. That's one less problem to think about.

cheers

Grant

Dave - Didn't know that, and it is very welcome news.

peebeep - Thanks for the photo. It looks very like the artwork I have, so should do just nicely.

Well done Gents. That's one less problem to think about.

cheers

Grant

Nearly there! the LeRhone in the photo is an 80hp version, I think - the Oberusel used in the DrI was a copy of the 110hp Le Rhone - same number of cylinders but a diferent configuration of inlet manifold, which is noticeable even in teenyweeny scale. Aeroclub do the 110 as well, you'll be pleased to know!

Yep. Spotted that Rowan. Order placed last night. Went for the higher powered version, but wasn't aware of the outward differences in appearance. I just hope I can do it justice with a decent paint job.

cheers

Grant

• 1 year later...

hello grant , the only visible difference between the oberursel and le rhone was on the front of the crankcase , the oberursel had a bolted plate , whilst the le rhone was smooth - german pilots coveted any captured engines and put a bounty on any captured examples as they were superior in performance to the home made versions! as the fokker cowling often masks this minor difference , the aeroclub item should be just fine . http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/110hplr.jpg http://www.jastaboelcke.de/workbench/oberu.../oberursel.htm#

Edited by blimp

Interesting point about the swapping of engines.

I imagine there would have been many 'in-service' mods during that time.

Emphasizing the need for references, especially if you are trying to do a particular airframe.

cheers

Grant

PS. Top marks for finding this from so long ago.