1:32 Triumph TR4a - Finished

ptcruiser

Ok so here's my kit. I dug out an old unused craft knife as opposed to my normal scalpel and a old emery board will suffice as my implement for sanding. No tape though and I doubt whether I'll use the scissors or tweezers either. Never had them when I started to build kits so I'm going to try and resist temptation now. :innocent:

tr4-1.jpg

I can't remember what I used to start with but my parents did acquire and old school desk that was strategically positioned in my bedroom, model building for the use of, you know, the old lift up lid type. I painted it a nice non drip gloss yellow too. :coolio: For this build I'll be using an old cutting board for use on the dining room table. I must confess that I will be using an extra piece of equipment that I did not require in my tender years.... I'm assuming this is acceptable??

tr4-7.jpg

kit bits

tr4-2.jpg

Notice the extensive decal sheet (top centre on the instruction sheet) but the clear parts are bagged seperately which is an improvement.

Stage 1 (of a total of 4, the last of which is the painting instructions):

tr4-3.jpg

The parts are there, the paint call outs are there, but where the parts are supposed to fit could be interesting if you were new to this game.

Here's progress so far:

tr4-8.jpg

Ejector pin marks are abundant, flash aplenty, mould lines very prominant. The engine halves don't match and one half is almost solid whilst the other hollow. This is going to prove more challenging that I hoped.

I have now managed to paint it as per the instructions. 2 coats of 33 later and it's improving. I have also found that for the gloss black to work (ie not streaky), using the matt black as a primer seems the way to go - others may find it helpful. I've also had varying success with the paint on the plastic. It must be mould release agent preventing the paint from adhering?

Pics tomorrow in the daylight of the painted chassis. Test fitting the body onto the chassis has indicated a distinct warp, so remedial work will be necessary, and I may have to dig out the tape after all.

Rich

Chassis pics as promised:

1004030014.jpg

1004030012.jpg

The matt black works really well, and I've used the gloss for he seats. However, the silver is P O O R! Thinned down some matt black with water to wash around the spokes to make them stand out a bit.

Next stage to finish the driving compartment and the engine bay. Someone mention using stretched sprue for ariels? Hmm spark plug leads :hmmm: --- hmm maybe not .

Rich

Next update from me, having spent a day at the seaside and one on the garden :thumbsup:

Underside done. Notice how well the exhaust fits

1004060007.jpg

Unclothed

1004060009.jpg

1004060010.jpg

And an idea as to what it'll look like.

1004060014.jpg

1004060015.jpg

1004060016.jpg

I've given the bodywork two coats of matt black and letting that harden off before going for the gloss blue. Same for the, erm, chrome/silver/metalic grey brightworks.

Should be done tomorrow :frantic:

Rich

Well I was very seriously tempted to leave it in black primer like a rat rod - and later events suggest perhaps I was right all along.

1004070006.jpg

1004070008.jpg

But as planned, finished today and in conclusion I have to say that I HATE THOSE GLOSS PAINTS! :badmood: In order to reveal the raised text, I scraped the paint off and it worked quite well overall.

Still I've enjoyed the build as a whole and that is what I think this was all about. :yahoo: There'll be more pics on the gallery. I hope you like?

Rich

1004070053.jpg

1004070060.jpg

Edited by ptcruiser

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated.

Cliff, it's a trick of the light combined with over exposure. The plastic is grey to start with, but I agree it probably looked better :analintruder:

I read on another build about mixing some matt with the gloss on a Red Arrow Hawk? Maybe mixing a touch of matt balck that went on really well with the gloss blue may have helped?

One to try another day.

Rich

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated.

Cliff, it's a trick of the light combined with over exposure. The plastic is grey to start with, but I agree it probably looked better :analintruder:

I read on another build about mixing some matt with the gloss on a Red Arrow Hawk? Maybe mixing a touch of matt balck that went on really well with the gloss blue may have helped?

One to try another day.

Rich

It looks very nice in the matt black, is there anything to say we have to paint the models the same colours as the instructions say?