1:72 Westland Whirlwind (Milo - FINISHED!)

Milo Black

I'm doing the 1:72 Westland Whirlwind, and Sophie (my partner's daughter, age 11) will be having fun with the 1:72 P-51D Mustang.

Box shots, sprues and tookits when we start - I still need to go out and buy her kit on Friday - Easter present (she'd rather have a kit than yet MORE chocolate :) ).

Edited by Milo Black

Here we go then - Sophie now has her kit, but also has a friend round, so I won't see her for a while.

Box:

Whirlwind_Box.jpg

Contents:

Whirlwind_Sprues.jpg

Seems a nice clean mould - no flash to speak of and ejector pin marks should be hidden.

Humbrol paints:

24 Trainer Yellow,

30 Dark Green,

33 Matt Black,

90 Beige Green,

106 Ocean Grey,

165 Medium Sea Grey

All matt except the 165 which is satin.

No metallics, and getting any sort of human skin tone is going to be interesting.... did we have aliens in the RAF in WW2? :)

Tools:

Toolkit.jpg

Well under way now - and Sophie has joined me:

Sophie's Box

Mustang_Box.jpg

Sprues and tools

Mustang_Sprues.jpg

.... and work is in progress!

WIP_1.jpg

WIP_2.jpg

You can see a plastic paint mixing tray in one of the pics - back in the days, this would have been one of Mum's saucers, but in the interests of domestic harmony, this seemed a safer solution :) Hope this doesn't contravene the spirit of the GB.

You can see a plastic paint mixing tray in one of the pics - back in the days, this would have been one of Mum's saucers, but in the interests of domestic harmony, this seemed a safer solution :) Hope this doesn't contravene the spirit of the GB.

Not at all - loving te model of the pineapple thought - is that a Revell one?

Not at all - loving te model of the pineapple thought - is that a Revell one?

Yes, Paul - Revell 1:1 scale - much more accurate than the Airfix version. I'm particularly pleased with the finish and weathering I did on that one ;)

Todays progress report:

My Whirlwind:

Algy:

Whirlwind_Pilot.jpg

Fuselage assembly:

Whirlwind_1.jpg

Main assembly done - leaving overnight to set:

Whirlwind_2.jpg

Sophie's Mustang:

(Done with no help other than the occasional bit of advice when struggling)

Racing along:

Mustang_1.jpg

Wings on - much surplus glue in evidence, just as it should be.....

Mustang_2.jpg

Wheels added after that, then a break for dinner and a couple of episodes of Thunderbirds (no, really - we are watching the series on DVD).

Most of the painting started:

Mustang_3.jpg

This will be gone over again tomorrow, but enough for today. She will EASILY finish before I do :)

Thanks, All!

...now why don't you offer to finish that Concorde model that's behind you :devil:

Well spotted! That's an "in progress" for the Civil Aircraft GB on ATF.... at the prime-sand-fill stage, but another 5 weeks left to finish it, so not panicking (yet).

I've spent today trying to get a decent paint finish on this:

WW_Progress_2.jpg

Still a bit rough in places, but hoping to get finished tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Sophie has also finished a 1/72 Airfix Saab Drakken today that's been hanging around for a while, and Kaite (age 8), inspired by all the activity, has finally put the decals on her Red Arrows Gnat :)

... so I'm definitely the old slowcoach here ;)

Thanks all - still trucking along in between cleaning out of goldfish, etc. Glue now drying on wheels - then obviously some touching up of paintwork.

Great family effort Milo well done to all

Ruddy superb, that's how kits are supposed to be made!

I'm not so good, my kits take months or years to make - maybe I'm too patient. Sometimes I look at some of my unmade kits and wish it would take a day or possibly a week to get it finished, but no I have to start fiddling with sand paper, scribers, etching tools etc etc.

Inspiration!

Martin

Those photos were taken 3 years ago!!!!

Miss!!! MISS!!! :innocent:

OK, OK, so I can never be bothered to re-set the date on the camera after changing the batteries... tsk :wacko:

Most of the decals are done now - hoping to have some "done, tick" pictures up tomorrow (or three years ago, whichever) ;)

OK, Done, Tick! :D

No ariels - I couldn't face doing them with stretched sprue and poly cement - since there are quite a few of them, I have a feeling that I'd make a botch of them. I may add them now - black sewing cotton dipped in Klear (stops it going hairy and stiffens it a little) and good old CA - but that's three things I wouldn't have been allowed for this build :)

Decals went on semi-OK - going over them with a damp brush helped them stick to the matt paint, although they have silvered a little - again, I may well now go over them with Klear, and then mattcote the whole thing. I did find that I was two stencils short - I seemed to be missing two No 4s - if anyone else finds this, please let me know - I may have just lost them in cutting the decal sheet :)

No exotic modelling techniques used here - I'm not brave enough to do most of them anyway :) - but I did do a little dry-brushing with the matt black from the kit to add some dirt and bring out the raised detail a little - more heavily used around the exhausts and on the top of the right wing (from pilot-getting-in-and-out traffic).

Anyhoo - here are the pics.

Whirlwind_Finished_6.jpg

Whirlwind_Finished_1.jpg

Whirlwind_Finished_2.jpg

Whirlwind_Finished_3.jpg

Whirlwind_Finished_4.jpg

Whirlwind_Finished_5.jpg

Really enjoyed doing this - nice to just get on with it without thinking too hard about every tiny stage :) Fun weekend!