1:72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt

timmah

This is the second kit I purchased on my visit to Newark Air Museum on Sunday.

I will be building this at the same time as the P-51 D ...............

P3290037.jpg

And it will also be built in real vintage style..........

P3290039.jpg

In the living room on a tray, just the way I used to!

Regards

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress report....

I found with the Mustang that when I tried to paint the cockpit the acrylic paints were beading up on the plastic and really did not want to paint well. I think there is a lot of release agent on the sprues so with this model I gave it all a good wash and the paint appeared to stick a lot better

Cockpit painted green, engine painted silver and the model came together quickly. The fit of the kit was very good apart from the underneath join of the wing to fuselage where there was a bit of a step which I reduced with the knife and lots of sanding with the stick.

P4020043.jpg

Aligning the wing onto the fuselage to give a good fit left a few small gaps that really needed some filler, using some sprue and glue the gaps were filled.

P4040044.jpg

First coat on the underside, the grey really did cover well, much better than the silver on the mustang.

P4040047.jpg

I decided after the problems of painting the olive drab onto bear plastic that I would use the grey as an undercoat to the green so the whole model was done.

P4080049.jpg

Top coat all complete and it covered a lot better on top of the grey

P4080050.jpg

Decals on, now just need to do a few touch ups and paint the canopy and it's done.

P4110052.jpg

Thanks for looking

Tim.

• 3 weeks later...