1:72 North American P-51 D Mustang

timmah

I've been hanging my nose over this group build for a while and so on my visit to Newark Air Museum on Sunday, I bought two starter kits in preparation.

I will be joining in With this...............

P3290038.jpg

And to keep it real vintage style..........

P3290039.jpg

I will be building it in the living room on a tray just the way I used to!

Regards

Tim.

A cutting board !!!!!

Spot the rich kid :-)

Well I did wonder if it was ok so perhaps the mod's could tell me.

Is the cutting board allowed?

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress report.....

Had a nightmare painting the cockpit so ended sloshing lots of paint around and wiping it off, I think there is a lot of release agent on the moulds or the acrylic paints are really going to be terrible to paint with? I was a little heavy handed with the glue when sticking the fuselage together and underneath where you traditionally cut it out if you were putting it on a stand fell in so I needed to fill that. Other than that, the fit of the kit was really good with just a bit of carving needed around the wing/nose joint

P4040045.jpg

Sprue and glue used to do the bits of filling needed, I even mixed it on the box!

P4040044.jpg

I thinned the silver and did two thin coats, the flash of the camera has made it look a bit patchy but it's covered well and quite smooth.

P4040046.jpg

Decals on, just need to add the canopy and a few items and this one is done

P4050048.jpg

Thanks for looking

Tim.

Very nice Timmah.

You were giving me palpatations there when you mentioned filler but I see from you P-47 threat you've revived the ancient art of sprue and glue which I bet most of us has forgotten (I know I had).

Washing the model seems to be essential to get the paints to go on. The paints do seem to show up badly under flash, maybe photographing in daylight will help for the final images?

• 3 weeks later...