1/144 Condorde advice needed

woody37

Hi guys,

In my plans, I would like to build a concorde. Did they serve in BOAC colours ? If so, it will be in this scheme. I can't decide between the nose lowered or raised, but believe Revell is the only option with the nose lowered. Anyone built one and if so, got any pictures to share and advice on construction ?

If the nose is in the raised position, would you go for Airfix or Revell ?

Cheers

Edited by woody37

Hi guys,

In my plans, I would like to build a concorde. Did they serve in BOAC colours ? If so, it will be in this scheme. I can't decide between the nose lowered or raised, but believe Revell is the only option with the nose lowered. Anyone built one and if so, got any pictures to share and advice on construction ?

If the nose is in the raised position, would you go for Airfix or Revell ?

Cheers

Airfix did Concorde prototype in BOAC livery:

http://www.rockertron.com/popup/product_im...?productID=7199

Nose up is default option for Revell kit.

Google the net - there are a LOT (!!!) of builds / kit reviews.

No it didnt serve in the BOAC livery

just the BA red tail then landor and finally union jack

doesnt mean yo8i couldnt build one in boac colours tho...

hazza your windows need painting or decalling

• Like 1

Im afraid no BOAC, although I have some pics of the proposed livery and very nice it is too. Airfix did a prototype style in BOAC livery. The Revell kit has a seperate nose so thats the way to go for a drop nose, but the canopy glazing will need modifing as it retracts into the nose when lowered.

Both are nice kits but Id alway go for the 1/72! i picked one up part built at the carboot and will building it as a prototype, then the next one will be a B proposal (build number 17)

No it didnt serve in the BOAC livery

just the BA red tail then landor and finally union jack

doesnt mean yo8i couldnt build one in boac colours tho...

hazza your windows need painting or decalling

I now i built a while ago and i failed miserable :L

Thanks guys. 1/72 is a little big for my wee shelf !

The BOAC sheme I have seen looks gorgous, petty it never flew commercially in them colours. Guess it will be in red tail livery then.

So I will try to get a Revell kit then.

Cheers

As others has said the Revell 1/144 Concorde is far more advanced that the Airfix kit.

Concordes.jpg

I've built 3 Revell Concordes, and 1 Airfix - they're all here.

The BOAC decals are by Whirlybird,and just the Gold letters - I have to mask and paint the cheatline.

To narrow thigs down, Airfix is the red topped tail - the rest are Revell.

RevellConcordeBoth2.jpg

Only Revell offers the option of a drooped nose, which isn't quite right - but is as close as you can get.

RevellConcordeNose.jpg

They're all in my loft at the moment, but I'll try to do photos of them all later.

Not much. They're all painted with Halfords Appliance White Gloss aerosol - which is the best and easiest white I've ever found.

Painted inside of cockpit glazing black - cos there's nothing to see in there anyway.

I did install a cockpit screen divider on the droop-snoot model, to give a split screen impression.

Other than that they're pretty much OOB builds.

Here's some sprue comparrisons between the Airfix prototype (cream) Airfix 2nd tool (grey) and the Revell kit (white).

291483479.jpg

291483477.jpg

291483474.jpg

Here's what I did with the early Airfix kit with a set of F-Dcal decals.

369909699.jpg

369909719.jpg

369909739.jpg

369909681.jpg

• Like 1

nice set of red 'x's there BAC.....

I have built 1 revell concorde, BA Landor colours, it is a better kit than airfix, tho I think either the main gear are too short or the nose leg too long, this is an older builf that I want to refurb.

Plus I want BOAC, BA red Tail, BA flag, Air France, one with the left side in Singapore colours and one Braniff...yes I I know BN didnt fly it in thioer own colours, but they did use the type so I want one :)

Very nice I do plan to do a prototype in 1/72!

Fantastic Rich!

Can you also discover a new resin made from mud so its really cheap and make copies of your prototype so I can buy one?

Its been a long working day...

But seriously folks, has anyone used BraZ Models Concorde windscreen on the Revell 1/144 kit? The real thing is not one flat plane as in the kit and its bothers me because I am bothered about things like that!

I want to build one as the French pre-production aircraft which had BA markings on one side and Air France on the other when it was used for the original proving flight into JFK in 1977.

Phil.

Edited by PHIL B

im in the gathering info, and planning stage of that project, I also plan to do number 17 the B proposal also. Will do a build thread when I get a start. Will be alot of work but I got a part build off the local carboot for £2.50 last year and it looks like it was built by...........

Ive not seen the Braz part but when I built mine I did the nose dropped so made a part as it was sat down in the nose. I must dig it out and repair (not very gental removal men)

Im off to Duxford in May so will be getting lots of shots but if anyone reading this can do me a very good walk around of the Yeovilton concorde.....

please!

Edited by richellis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made the Revell kit a few years ago and it's far superior than the Airfix one, actually it is a mould cut by Otaki and (not sure here) never released before being sold to Revell.

Be warned though that as Kev1n already noted the main u/c is too short: you need to lenghten the legs by 2-3 mm otherwise the model will have an unnatural pitching stance.

Hope this helps

Fabio