S-3 Viking Colours

Spence

Is it my imagination or are Viking colours, camouflage and markings and absolute bloody nightmare..?!

Just thought I'd ask... :angrysoapbox.sml::deadhorse::wall:

Spence

Spence it is one of the easiest airplanes to paint if you have a grey over white scheme then everything underneath is white including the legs et al so assemble all them first then spray tops of control surfaces and then underside then flop the grey over the top areas, nose cones may be different depending on which machine you choose.

on the other hand you may use an allover grey scheme, again easy peasy.

Ted

You mean this scheme

S-3B_Viking.jpg

Just load the airbrush up, apply blindfold and spray away :o

Yes - that scheme..!

The problem is that there is simply no standardised approach to the way that these aircraft are finished. Let me give you some examples:

Anti-glare panel - round edged, squared fronted, pointed, black, mid grey, dark grey

Walkway on upper fuselage - black, dark grey, mid grey, pale grey, outlined only, not there at all

walkways on wings - there, not there...

panels above sensor operators bay - light grey, dark grey, radome tan, same grey as surrounding airframe. Colour inside frame or over panel and frame...

cockpit frames - grey or black or mixture of both

Wing and tailfin leading edges - camouflage, dark grey or yellow, the latter in a wide range of sizes and position of panels

And then there's the weathering - how the hell to you reproduce the way that these aircraft ACTUALLY look after a six month detachment..?

Of course all of this is not helped by the Superscale instructions which only show one side of the aircraft that I want to model - no plan, underside or view of the other side of the model. Colour directions? Overall FS36375 - and that's it... :fraidnot:

And before any asks - no I don't have a shot of the Blue Wolves CAG aircraft that I'm building - except in an earlier incarnation when it was finished in a slightly different scheme than that chosen!

Oh and finally, does someone want to explain exactly how a sealed canopy can become tainted by fine overspray when the whole feckin' thing was air-tight..?! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Spence - who is obviously not seeing the funny side of life at the moment...

Come and join our Airfix starter club Spence - sounds like you need to get back to basics ;)

My build thread has been updated now - so give that a look to see where we are with it now!

Laters! Spence :)

And then there's the weathering - how the hell to you reproduce the way that these aircraft ACTUALLY look after a six month detachment..?

Judging by the picture above... you could try burying it in the garden for a week or two?! :shrug:

Yes - that scheme..!

The problem is that there is simply no standardised approach to the way that these aircraft are finished. Let me give you some examples:

Anti-glare panel - round edged, squared fronted, pointed, black, mid grey, dark grey

Walkway on upper fuselage - black, dark grey, mid grey, pale grey, outlined only, not there at all

walkways on wings - there, not there...

panels above sensor operators bay - light grey, dark grey, radome tan, same grey as surrounding airframe. Colour inside frame or over panel and frame...

cockpit frames - grey or black or mixture of both

Wing and tailfin leading edges - camouflage, dark grey or yellow, the latter in a wide range of sizes and position of panels

Of course all of this is not helped by the Superscale instructions which only show one side of the aircraft that I want to model - no plan, underside or view of the other side of the model. Colour directions? Overall FS36375 - and that's it... :fraidnot:

And before any asks - no I don't have a shot of the Blue Wolves CAG aircraft that I'm building - except in an earlier incarnation when it was finished in a slightly different scheme than that chosen!

Oh and finally, does someone want to explain exactly how a sealed canopy can become tainted by fine overspray when the whole feckin' thing was air-tight..?! :angrysoapbox.sml:

I think someone needs a hug.... :D

The Uruguay (along with possible acquisitions by Turkey, Egypt and IIRC, Singapore) rumor has been going around for quite some time now (the past decade at least), alas no confirmation yet.

Oh my god, he IS human !!! :o