100 PHANTOM PROJECT (YES ANOTHER F-4 POST!)

zero

I have multiples of “some” kits so if there is something you’re specifically after let me know; perhaps we can work out some trades. I also have a number of overseas contacts so can often source specific kits although as I know you’re well aware some of them (09557, 09566 & PT117 for instance) often fetch quite silly money, especially since the prices on newer issues/re-issues have risen significantly due to the state of the Japanese Yen.

Hi Greg

Thank you for the info, I'll correct this tomorrow, when I'm at home.

Be happy to work a few swaps, I have a few duplicates, and thankfully I think I have most of the Rare ones now!!!

Cheers Again

Dave

G'day Guys,

I don't check in here as often as I used to but I finally saw this thread and thought I should stop in and say G'day. :bye:

Especially as I've been spotted elsewhere (I'm the F-4 nut linked to on Zone Five. Please still come and join in over there too Dave :welcome: ).

It's good to know I'm not the only one with this affliction. :mental: Originally my intent was to have one of every F-4 boxing that Hasegawa did but, after a while, they started releasing boxings that were either duplicates of what they'd already done (eg. Royal Navy FG.1) or simply stuff that I wasn't interested in doing. So I gave up on that ambition, I just couldn't afford (either the money or space) to keep up.. That's why I don't have some of the more recent boxings.

Now I'll just get the specific boxings which have markings that I want (I bought another five kits recently).

I look forward to the chance to discuss all things Phantastic with you guys.

Cheers,

Motty.

Just out of indolent speculation, and not really suggestions, but I've seen a pic of a couple of F-4B's ('B's I think, anyway...) preparing for a Cat shot from the Hermes roughly circa 1966\67 during a brief visit. VF74 if memory serves, naturally, not marked up as 'HMS Hermes' tho....

Plus, whilst you're building a prototype, how's about also covering the very first McDD Engineering Mockup, as far as I remember on unveiling, painted in midnite blue?

Dave, do you build many german 'Tooms? If so, this website may be useful for some of the unusual German Special Schemes: HaHen Decals 1/48 Scale. I count 5 Phantoms over the 2 pages-one of which is an RF-4. HTH

Very interesting. Has anyone seen or had any experience with these decals?

Cheers,

Motty.

Especially as I've been spotted elsewhere (I'm the F-4 nut linked to on Zone Five. Please still come and join in over there too Dave hi.gif ).

Welcome Motty !! Saw your stash photo - WOW !! You will find Phellow Phans here !! :analintruder:

G'day Guys,

I don't check in here as often as I used to but I finally saw this thread and thought I should stop in and say G'day. :bye:

Especially as I've been spotted elsewhere (I'm the F-4 nut linked to on Zone Five. Please still come and join in over there too Dave :welcome: ).

It's good to know I'm not the only one with this affliction. :mental: Originally my intent was to have one of every F-4 boxing that Hasegawa did but, after a while, they started releasing boxings that were either duplicates of what they'd already done (eg. Royal Navy FG.1) or simply stuff that I wasn't interested in doing. So I gave up on that ambition, I just couldn't afford (either the money or space) to keep up.. That's why I don't have some of the more recent boxings.

Now I'll just get the specific boxings which have markings that I want (I bought another five kits recently).

I look forward to the chance to discuss all things Phantastic with you guys.

Cheers,

Motty.

Hi Motty

good to see you here. I have tried to join that forum, however I'm still awaiting my application to be approved, Ie I've registered.

You certainly have a very nice selection of birds in your stash, I presumed you were selectively collecting items however as has been mention your stash is impressive. I believe I'm now over 100, and I agree, it easier to make a replica of an certain F-4 over trying to get some of the hasegawa boxings, ie, a good E kit, Sky Decals and a few quid on Resin will make you a very impressive IDF model, much easier and cheaper than finding a Hasegawa IDF F-4E I was lucky enough to have a nice brit modeller sell me a IDF RF-4E which has a spare (resin Replacement) IFR probe, so this is just what I have done, ie a spare F-4E that part, the Sky Decals, now all I need is some Isracast Popeyes and Air to Airs and I'll have a model as good as the original boxing and better.

Good to see you here, sure we can swap notes, if nothing else!

Keep well

Dave

Hi Dave

Nearly had kittens when I went down your list and saw USS KittyHawk there! Then realised there wasn't a Hasegawa ref against it so assumed it's VF-114, VF-116 & VF-213 builds?

Just dug out all my F-4 pics, many from Mcdonnel Douglas dated 61-66, some original s from Bob Dorr's book (inc. cover pic) plus lots of B&W Navy (inc. Grey/White G's).

I may and it is a big may trade my Colourful CAG Birds as I think I have a set of VF-213 decals, but would want a Speceial Ed J in exchange.

Just got to start building the proper B with panal lines!

Rgds

Neil

Nice Pictures motty (very nice, and very useful)

Cheers for those, and I'm sure many here, will be happy to talk Phantoms with you.

Dave

They took a lot of finding ;) but seeing as I have my two, I got them at ........ see my PM LOL

the decals are sort of off white, ie more a white cream that totally white, which on a black fin would not look so out of place.

Dave

Sounds typical Hasegawa, thanks for the info Dave.

Phantoms! I could happily talk about these all day. I have a fairly modest Phan stash, compared to some of you lot anyway! Amongst these are 4 S', 4 B/Ns, 10 Js (including the Black Bunny and Blue Angels Special releases) and 6 Es, and loads of decals! Thanks to some excellent newly released kits with loads of weapons,(Kinetics Vipers, Academy's new Strike Eagles and Hobby Boss's Aardvarks) I will be able to arm some Es with GBU-15s, PAVE TACK, the Data link pod and Popeyes. I know quite a bit about USN/MC Phantoms, and bits about USAF ops (a dreaded texpert only I'm afraid!), so if anybody wants any information about these, give me a shout.

BTW, if anyone is interested, my next Phantom will be an F-4S from VF-161's last cruise in 1986, the CAG bird marked like the two Phantoms(B's) in my avatar pic.

Joel

Talking of Phantom colour schemes, what Phantoms do you think have the best "Shark mouth" nose art?

I've got an F-4E in the stash and I'm not sure what scheme to do it in?

Shaun.

Talking of Phantom colour schemes, what Phantoms do you think have the best "Shark mouth" nose art?

Shaun.

Well, personally, I like these guys.

31171_1218377186.jpg

But you can't do that with a standard E kit.

But the USAF's 3TFW E's from the Philippines

Chris-Priestly

Wayne-Brown

(Afterburner Decals coming out soon)

or the new Iranian jets (Hi-Decal sheet available now) would be equal second for me as they're all pretty much the same style.

Cheers,

Motty.

Edited by Motty

St.Louis' 131st FW Es had a friendly looking (as far as sharkmouths go!) decoration, looks nice and bright on a grey Phantom, the two PACAF wings from Clark and Teagu/Osan (3rd and 51st) look good, agree with gd though, the Spangs take it for a real sinister look! The 512th TFS from Ramstein marked up one of their Phantoms for 1983 IAT which was huge!

Joel

St.Louis' 131st FW Es had a friendly looking (as far as sharkmouths go!) decoration, looks nice and bright on a grey Phantom, the two PACAF wings from Clark and Teagu/Osan (3rd and 51st) look good, agree with gd though, the Spangs take it for a real sinister look! The 512th TFS from Ramstein marked up one of their Phantoms for 1983 IAT which was huge!

Joel

Of course! How could I forget the Taegu and Osan jets?? :doh:

Robbos-GU-F4E-015-02.jpg

Robbos-GU-F4E-002-01.jpg

Chris-Priestly

Afterburner sheet available now too.

Cheers,

Motty.

Edited by Motty

Some of the Missouri ANG Phantoms transferred to the Turkish Airforce in 1992, complete with sharkmouths, there's another option!

If you wanted to do an early E, the 388th and 31st TFWs jets had sharkmouths during the Vietnam war, but they did'nt have slats.

Joel

Shaun.

The Isreali's had one painted up with an enourmous sharkmouth. 68-0480 from the 86TFW wins it for me though.

0963201.jpg

The Osan jets look quite cool, and the Afterburner sheet has a good choice of markings and schemes.

Osan F-4E's

I've just got that, it's got a really cool 51TFW Wing King on it with an unusual scheme, highly recommended. The Seymour Johnson sheets are must haves as well, couple of wicked Gunsmoke jets on there :speak_cool:

Hi Zero

Just looked at the link to ZoneFive and saw that you're building the blue FGR.2. Can i ask what paint you're using for the blue please?

Tim

Tamiya X7, I think it a damned good match.

Dave

Nice one, cheers guys! Just got to find a second FGR2 now!

Tim

Tim it X4 Royal blue I'm using. I'll flat it down with Klear and tamiya flat at the end.

Dave

Some of the Missouri ANG Phantoms transferred to the Turkish Airforce in 1992, complete with sharkmouths, there's another option!

If you wanted to do an early E, the 388th and 31st TFWs jets had sharkmouths during the Vietnam war, but they did'nt have slats.

Joel

My Kit has the slat wing, so must be done as a later "E".

What are the Hasegawa Missouri ANG 30 years Phantom decals like?, is there an aftermarket Missouri ANG sheet?

I quite like the shark mouth style on these Spooks.

Edited by Shaun