100 PHANTOM PROJECT (YES ANOTHER F-4 POST!)

zero

As some of you willhave notice from my signature I'm currently working on a big project. yes, I know it will take about 5 to 10 years to do, if not more, but it something I have always wanted to do.

The plan is to build 100 Phantom, ie all flavours (schemes not marks I could spend 10 years just sorting those out) but i'm trying to build the most colourful ones, one at least from every country that operated the F4, and as many camo pattern and colours I come across. I'm also trying to cover every carrier that flew F-4 with a bird carrying the carriers name badge.

this list is not set in stone, just what is to hand at present. i'm trying to confirm I have every carrier in the list, and the best of the bunch to build. so if you can think of a decal scheme, or a carrier or of something that missing from the list then please, please chip in.

your thoughts and views are most welcome, and yes, I know I'm mad |(read my tag line!) :bangin::shrug::chair:

PS sorry for the long list. (HSG numbers means I have the kit) pictures here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22145172

RAF Boscome Down F-4 25th Annivesary Scheme (HSG09462)

RAF FGR2 BRITISH PHANTOM P SERIES (HSGP16)

RAF FGR2 Special Blue Paint (REVELL FGR2 BOXING KIT)

RAF FG MK1 BLACK MIKE HSG09331 Series: P Series

FGR2 ALCOCK AND BROWN SPECIAL (HSGCH9)

RN FG MK1 Ark Royal 892 SQN OLD BOXING EDITION (HSGP15)

RN FG MK1 Ark Royal COLONIAL MARKINGS (HSG 09831)

USN/RN USN/OMEGA TAIL (LANDED ARK ROYAL) (HSG09878)

RAF FG MK1 (HSGP17) TREBLE ONE (111) BLACK TAIL

RAF FG MK1 (HSGP17) TREBLE ONE (111) RIAT 83 OVERSIZED ROUNDELS

RAF FG MK1 (HSGP17) 43 SQN BLACK/WHITE CHECKS

RAF FGR2 TIGER SQN (HASEGAWA KIT WANTED)

RAF FGR2 REVELL RE-BOXED VERSION SCHEME TO BE CONFIRMED

RAF Mk III UKJ TIGER SQN (HSG09392)

US NAVY USS SARATOGA (Phancy phantoms 48-639)

US NAVY USS FORRESTAL (Phancy phantoms 48-639)

US NAVY USS RANGER (F-4J VF-21) FREE LANCERS (HSG09596)

US NAVY USS INDEPENDANCE F-4J DIAMOND BACKS VF 102 (HSG09727)

US NAVY USS KITTY HAWK

US NAVY USS CONSTELLATION F-4J SHOWTIME 100 (HSGPT6)

US NAVY USS ENTERPRISE

US NAVY USS AMERICA

US NAVY USS JOHN F. KENNEDY

US NAVY USS NIMITZ

US NAVY FRANKLIN D ROOSERVELT F-4J Phantom II "VF-84 Jolly Rogers

US NAVY FRANKLIN D ROOSERVELT F-4B/N Phantom II JOLLY ROGER (HSG09787)

US NAVY FRANKLIN D ROOSERVELT F-4B/N Phantom II BLACK ACES (HSG09787)

US NAVY USS MIDWAY (HSG586)

US NAVY USS MIDWAY LO VIZ (HSG09807)

US NAVY F-4J LIBERTY BELL (HAVE DECALS ONLY, NO KIT)

USN F-4J VX-4 VANDY BLACK BUNNY (HAVE KIT)

USN F-4B/N VF111 SUNDOWNERS (HSG09662)

USMC RF-4B VMFP-3 SPECIAL (HSG09839)

USMC RF-4B (HSG09652)

USMC RF-4B (HSGPT31)

USMC F-4J COLOURFUL MARINE CORP (HSG09709)

USAF RF-4C (HSG09557)

USAF RF-4C SPECIAL (HSG09629)

USAF F-4C Gull Gray ESCI KIT + Early phantoms in combat DECALS

USAF F-4D (HSGPT10)

USAF F-4E Vietnam SEA (green/brown)

ISRAELI IDF F-4E (Hasegawa F-4E kit with Sky Decals)

ISRAELI IDF RF-4E ( HSG09685 Series: Hasegawa boxing )

SPANISH

AUSTRALIAN

TURKISH (Two Bob decals) KARA SAHIN PHANTOM DECALS

EGYPTIAN

F-4F GERMAN WILD HORSE (REVELL F-4F + CUTTING EDGE DECALS)

GERMAN RF-4E IMMELMANN SPECIAL (HSG09672)

GERMAN F-4F Phantom II "JG71 40th Anniversary Markings (RED/BLACK) (HSG09386)

GERMAN F-4F JG73 SPECIAL PAINT (BLUE/YELLOW) (HSG09665)

GERMAN REVELL F-4F (HASEGAWA REBOX) SCHEME TBC

USAF/GERMANY F-4F HOLLOMAN AFB (HSG09734)

GREEK RF-4E HELLENIC AIR FORCE SPECIAL (ON ORDER) (HSG09883)

GREEK RF-4 RIAT 2005 (ICARUS DECALS) KIT NEEDED?

IRANIAN F-4D ESCI KIT WITH HI LINE AFTERMARKET DECALS

JAPANESE 20TH ANN (FAR EAST PHANTOMS 48-050)

JAPANESE F-4EJ Kai Super Phantom "Black Panther (HSG09380)

JAPANESE RF-4EJ JASDF 501 SQ (HSG09537)

JAPANESE F-4EJ SUPER PHANTOM 8SQ PANTHERS (HSG09556)

JAPANESE RF-4E 501 SQ SHARKS TEETH (HSG09574)

JAPANESE RF-4E 501 SQ OLD FASHION (HSG09612)

JAPANESE F-4EJ JASDF "MIG SILLOUTTE"

JAPANESE RF-4E JASDF 50TH (ELECTRIC BLUE) (HSG09621)

JAPANESE F-4EJ JASDF 50TH (WHITE) (HSG09622)

JAPANESE F-4EJ JASDF 8SQ BLACK SPECIAL (HSG09873)

JAPANESE RF-4E JASDF (HSGPT30)

KOREAN F-4E KOREAN AIR FORCE (HSG09805)

F-4E THUNDERBIRDS DISPLAY TEAM (HSG09398)

F-4 BLUE ANGELS DISPLAY TEAM (HSG09403)

QF-4S BLOODHOUNDS (HSG09762)

F-4C/D BICENTENNIAL (THREE OPTION) (HSG09790)

F-4E 5000TH BUILD (HSG09448)

F-4C WILD WEASEL FIRST OF THE WEASEL (BROWN GREEN CAMO)

F-4E 5057 LAST OF THE PHANTOMS ( SCALE MASTER AFTERMARKET DECALS)

CHUCK YAGERS F-4D SA678

QF-4N DRONE (HSG09328)

VX-4 VANDY 1976 SPECIAL (KIT HSG09353)

USMC VMFA-321 Hells Angels (KIT HSG09376)

USAF F110A (HSG09581)

USAF F110A (HSG09581)

ANG F-4E INDIANA AIR NATIONAL GUARD SPECIAL (HSG09859)

F-4S DIAMOND JUBILEE SPECIAL (BLUE & GOLD) (HSGCH10)

F-4E 30TH ANNIVERSARY (HSGPT8)

F-4G WILD WEASEL (HSGPT9)

F-4G WILD WEASEL (HSGPT9) SECOND KIT + DOUBLE UGLY DECAL SHEET

F-4J VMFA 235 DEATH ANGELS (ESCI Kit? + Cam Decals)

F-4B MARINES MARTO ANDREWS

F-4E SEA CAMO WITH TEETH

RF-4B MARINES EYES IN THE SKYS SHEET

f-4S ITALERI KIT AND SUPERSCALE DECALS

PROTOTYPE CONVERSION WITH TASMAN DECALS

MISSING HASEGAWA KITS

HSG09361 BICENTENNIAL MARKINGS (SAME AS LATER KIT, DIFFERENT BOXING)

HSG09383 F-4E SHARKS TEETH (SEA)

HSG09414 FGR2 BLUE SPECIAL MARKING

HSG09462 FG MK1 25 ANNVERSARY (SAME AS, BUT DEPICTED FLYING ON BOX!)

HSG09557 RF-4C USAF GREEN

HSG09566 F-4E IDF ISRAELI AIR FORCE

HSG09586 f-4S USS MIDWAY

HSG09590 RF-4E LUFFTWAFFE

HSG09602 FGR2 TIGER SQUADRON

HSG09632 F-4J BICENTENNIAL

HSG09641 F-4EJ JASDF AMIGO

HSG09647 F-4G 73 TACTICAL FIGHTER WING

HSG09714 F-4F JG74 MOULDERS

HSG09778 f-4J COLOURFUL CAG BIRDS

HSGPT117 F-4 S ROCK RIVER

HSGPT07 F-4EJ KAI SUPER PHANTOM

thanks for looking

Dave

Edited by zero

Thanks it's a typo

it should be RF-4E

You have a German "F-4G" - I assume that's a typo, since only the USN and USAF ever flew anything called an F-4G. And those were two totally different airplanes.

J

How about the 74 Sqn FGR.2 tiger scheme special they had on retirement?

Edited by F-32

all down to decals sadly, from the list RAF FGR2 TIGER SQN (HASEGAWA KIT WANTED)

How are you planning to tackle this project?

Single builds or batches (user/model)?

Shaun.

I'm hoping to be working where I have space to lay out 2 or 3 kits at a time. At present in just doing some refurbs, before starting full from part one builds

Cheers

Dave

these are all the schemes that have been used by HAF.

You might find something that you like

Thanks

I have This on order GREEK RF-4E HELLENIC AIR FORCE SPECIAL (HSG09883) and the ICARUS decals GREEK RF-4 RIAT 2005, but no kit yet, probably logical to get a second copy of 883 for these. but it would be nice to have some of those camo patern as well.

So one of my spare E might get a paint job like that.

Thanks for the info

Dave

Edited by zero

So whats your favorite Phantom? or do you like them all.

Shaun.

Hi Shaun

I've always had a soft spot for the Phantom, my Missus is a prophead, anything WWII with a unguarded mincer at the front, ans she a happy lady, but I was always a jet man, and to be honest early jets, ie Meteor, Vampire, Swift, Javerlin's, lightnings etc where always what I wanted to see. I thought about doing a project like this about 5 years ago, with the Tornado, but to be honest there not that many schemes, and as much as lot of NMF lightning would look lovely, there is not the depth that doing the phantom gives, ie 5057 paint jobs (and more with repaints) to choose from gives a hell of a lot of options.

if I'm honest, Because it was started, and part built, I kind of started off with one of my favorites. ie this one

376912068.jpg

How every if I was to have a top five, these would cetainly be in there, as really looking forward to building

383645308.jpg

374257366.jpg

The Black Bunny vandy VX-4

371434110.jpg

The Sundowners (top Right)

371434114.jpg

but to be honest, every paint job is really different, so I can't see me getting bored. :)

Dave

Edited by zero

Bingo

I actually managed to get hold of not one, but two of these kits. so that another hole nailed.

Dave

Looks like someone has the same idea as you?

Phantom kit collection

Wow,

Thanks for that link shaun I've joined the forum just to say hi to the guy!!!

He certainly does have a impressive phantom stash, how ever I know one of our members has 250+ spooks as well. I notice he has a lot of the older stuff, but i could not see some of the newer kits Ark royal "N" the Greek release and so on, so he may have stopped collection however he has a lot of nice kits, and certainly a lot more than me.

Dave

Update

I did find a Ark N in there, but a having had a quick count up, I think he is just ahead of me in kits, but he has more duplications, ie I have notice a lot of kits in my stash he doesn'r seem to have, unless he has them else where LOL (impressive collection) and a few in there I'm still looking for!

Dave

Edited by zero

These arrived this morning to cover the Turkish build,

384999462.jpg

and I found and ordered to tiger FGR2 so a couple of more holes filled.

Thats some kind of stash of Spooks !! Must admit to having had all bar about 4 go through my hands at some stage,and those 4 are easy to find !! now only currently have about 25 including some not shown in Zero's stash or this splendid collection !! Reckon his 120 kits would realise about £3500.00 !! - WOW !!

So many Phantoms - so little time !! :analintruder:

Looks like someone has the same idea as you?

Phantom kit collection

Large Phantom stashes aren't that uncommon :lol:...this was a good one;

phantoms-1.jpg

I say was because that pic was taken at the estate sale of a guy from North Carolina I believe. His family were selling off a stash of 10,000 kits of which some 400 were 1/48 Hasegawa F-4's!

Dave,

If you want some real variety and to do things a bit cheaper than chasing OOP kits, then start buying decal sheets.... I've only got 50 1/48 F-4's but I've collected almost 150 aftermarket sheets over the years and at an average of 3 aircraft a sheet I won't be running out of options anytime soon :analintruder:. You only need buy the base kit boxing which is usually a good bit cheaper than the specials, you'll be getting better quality decals and you can just buy the kits as and when you need them.

Dave,

If you want some real variety and to do things a bit cheaper than chasing OOP kits, then start buying decal sheets.... I've only got 50 1/48 F-4's but I've collected almost 150 aftermarket sheets over the years and at an average of 3 aircraft a sheet I won't be running out of options anytime soon :analintruder:. You only need buy the base kit boxing which is usually a good bit cheaper than the specials, you'll be getting better quality decals and you can just buy the kits as and when you need them.

Looks Like my loft LOL

No I know what you mean Gary, but there is a plan to my madness Honest. Yes I agee with your decal sheet buying option.

383833923.jpg

384700038.jpg

384999462.jpg

I also buy Esci Kits when cheap as there as good as Hasegawa (bar the cockpit internals and jet pipes) so nailing the lid down you won't know the difference. if you noted I started with part started kits, then duplications, and then I'll move on to Esci and Revell's, so a few years down the line, I probably won't have touched the majority of stuff, and it will be there for a rainy day.

Kind of having my cake and eating it. As I really can't see me just wanting to build phantom, after phantom. ie, I've got to 004 just with refurbs I've picked up, who knows what will come my way, over the next few years ;)

Dave

Edited by zero

Thats some kind of stash of Spooks !! Must admit to having had all bar about 4 go through my hands at some stage,and those 4 are easy to find !! now only currently have about 25 including some not shown in Zero's stash or this splendid collection !! Reckon his 120 kits would realise about £3500.00 !! - WOW !!

So many Phantoms - so little time !! :analintruder:

Agree, but I always have time for more. (specially when they are still sealed, well ones about to get opened!) :evil_laugh:

My find of the year, not one, but two Sealed FGR2 Tigers!!!

385106063.jpg

Dave

Agree, but I always have time for more. (specially when they are still sealed, well ones about to get opened!) :evil_laugh:

My find of the year, not one, but two Sealed FGR2 Tigers!!!

Dave

Hi Dave, were did you find these kits?

Can you check the decals, are the colours correct for a 74 sqn machine and the decal white is pure white?

Shaun.

Hi Dave, were did you find these kits?

Can you check the decals, are the colours correct for a 74 sqn machine and the decal white is pure white?

Shaun.

They took a lot of finding ;) but seeing as I have my two, I got them at ........ see my PM LOL

the decals are sort of off white, ie more a white cream that totally white, which on a black fin would not look so out of place.

hope these help

385138196.jpg

385138227.jpg

Dave

Edited by zero

Dave, do you build many german 'Tooms? If so, this website may be useful for some of the unusual German Special Schemes: HaHen Decals 1/48 Scale. I count 5 Phantoms over the 2 pages-one of which is an RF-4. HTH

Thanks Tom, great link and the sort of stuff I'm looking for, I have two, maybe three, F-4F needing decals so this page has been book marked. Love the last call decals, just don't have a free RF-4E for it at present, so we will see on that one. (but I'm really tempted by that set, dispite the masking needed :hypnotised:

thanks for the link

Dave

Edited by zero

I also noted a mistake in my originial listing. I believed there where only two bicentennial kits, ie the c/d version and the J version, but then I bid on another one on Ebay and then notice it was a F-4E not a C/D so not only did the kit fill another hole, but it has a set of Australian F-4E decals in it, so Thats filled another hole in the list too!

This is the two I have now

F-4E BICENTENNIAL MARKINGS HSG09361

and this is the missing third one

HSG09632 F-4J BICENTENNIAL

Hi Dave

Just come across this thread and thought perhaps I should contribute as I have over 150 Hasegawa F-4s in 1/48th. I actually collect Hasegawa 1/48th fast jets and have the best part of 1000 in my collection.

I have got basic listings of all the F-4s (including the raised line kits which I don’t collect) so if you need any info just let me know. You do have one small error in your listing:

“HSG09647 F-4G 73 TACTICAL FIGHTER WING” should actually be “HSG09627 F-4G 37th TACTICAL FIGHTER WING”

Kit no 09647 is a Kawanishi N1K1-Jb Shiden.

I have multiples of “some” kits so if there is something you’re specifically after let me know; perhaps we can work out some trades. I also have a number of overseas contacts so can often source specific kits although as I know you’re well aware some of them (09557, 09566 & PT117 for instance) often fetch quite silly money, especially since the prices on newer issues/re-issues have risen significantly due to the state of the Japanese Yen.

Great find on the Tiger Squadron FGR-2s by the way.

All the best

Cheers

Greg