Red arrows mid air collision

jenko

Saw this on the BBC ....no other news yet. Hope all are OK

LATEST:Red Arrows pilot taken to hospital after mid-air crash during training exercise in Crete

Dick

:owww:

Red_Arrows_Hawk_Crash.jpg

XX252 was written off in 1998. The clue is in the way "Crete" in the photo could be easily mistaken for Lincolnshire.

Indeedy - don't get me going on that cr@p modern Royal Air Force logo/font - whoever the bright spark is that came up with that one should be marched out and shot at dawn IMHO...

Iain

:owww:

Red_Arrows_Hawk_Crash.jpg

Interesting that only the front part of the canopy was jettisoned/blown. Is that normal? Presumebly one crew member only.

Glad the Arrows pilots are okay.

Graham

Edited by GrahamS

I was thinking when I heard about this that it was a first - red arrows dont crash/collide/or otherwise damage thier wheels.

Then I saw this pic...

ok its a second then...

at least the pilots are ok

I was thinking when I heard about this that it was a first - red arrows dont crash/collide/or otherwise damage thier wheels.

Then I saw this pic...

ok its a second then...

at least the pilots are ok

Amazingly, it's the ninth accident since they formed on Gnats. Four crashes, three collisions (one on the ground), one overshoot, and one incident where a Hawk ran into a yacht mast. The engine must have been breathing water at the time ... :snorkle:

Wikipedia reports that the pilot who ejected has a dislocated shoulder.

My 2p. Disband them and spend the money on the front line. Seeing they have all but turned off recruitment at the mo they don't need them. The MoD is bankrupt and we need to channel the money where it's needed i.e. here at the sharp end. I'm out here sweating my balls off trying to do my best with limited resources with no flex, it's just not good enough. I wish I could I could tell you the details of why but it makes my blood boil and trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

I know most of the team and one of my mates is the current CO so I have a personal interest in the accident. I'm glad they are all OK. But, in these times unfortunately some painful decisions need to be made.

Interesting that only the front part of the canopy was jettisoned/blown. Is that normal? Presumebly one crew member only.

Jet would have been solo configuration, rear seat apron fitted, pins in etc. Only the front cockpit ejection system would have been live.

Glad the pilot got out O.K.

The aircraft that landed shows damage to the tip of the tail and the tip of the tail plane. The other jet must have had more damage, if it was abandoned?

Shaun.

Glad the pilot got out O.K.

The aircraft that landed shows damage to the tip of the tail and the tip of the tail plane. The other jet must have had more damage, if it was abandoned?

Shaun.

Shaun, the other jet was totalled. There's a pic on the Daily Mail's website of what's left of the jet amongst shots of the pilot being admitted to hospital. Can't say as I agree with the latter so I'm not posting a link.

Shaun, the other jet was totalled. There's a pic on the Daily Mail's website of what's left of the jet amongst shots of the pilot being admitted to hospital. Can't say as I agree with the latter so I'm not posting a link.

I had to check.... outwardly he looks like he'll be ok, other than some cuts that seem to have bled quite a bit - the Mail says a dislocated shoulder. Let's hope the news reflects that once he's had a good looking over by the quacks :)