Vietnam Wars GB

Tim, I can add to Ian's suggestions the Hobbycraft skyhawks. These are not bad, not as good as the hasegawa but much better than the old Esci. Not sure how easy they are to find though.

Does anyone know if the E/F version of this kit has the right decals? I can't see anything that helps me. The C version seems to be out of stock and I would prefer to make the later version anyway. Alternatively, does anyone know of a relevant decal sheet? My searches have drawn a blank.

simple answer.... North Viet MiG17 was the F variant.... the kit I have is D/E so wont put myself forward for this GB (with that model anyway, if a new one comes along....).... will switch to the Soviet/Foreign Service GB

The VPAF also operated ten MiG-17PF, recieved in late 1965 (Fresco-D, the one with the radar nose), so that model would be allowed (I think).

I would like to build a KP-models MiG-17PF I purchased recently for the GB.

Edited by MiG Mongoose

Does anyone know if the E/F version of this kit has the right decals? I can't see anything that helps me. The C version seems to be out of stock and I would prefer to make the later version anyway. Alternatively, does anyone know of a relevant decal sheet? My searches have drawn a blank.

Tim, I take-it you've seen it advertised somewhere, it would help if you could give the squadron number and carrier name. I have a fair library of USN in Vietnam info, wont take me long to find-out for you. As for A-4 decals, Microscale/Superscale did a very large number of sheets in the 1980's, they're still around and you can find them at shows or on-line (eBay, www.flightdecs.ca etc.). Also worth trying CAM decal, they do a LOT of USN markings, they may do a couple of A-4 sheets. Alternatively you can simply ask here on the site in the 'Wants' thread.

If you need any further help, I'm happy for you to PM me. Best of luck

Ian

I'm afraid the Hobbycraft E/F box only has aggressor planes as decal options.

Wonder if I can be cheeky, and ask if I can build a KC-135 Stratotanker... as far as I am aware they were used in the refuelling/support roles and are not commonly associated with the Vietnam, but they were there or there about!

if you guys think its a stretch too far thats okay I may consider joining with a C-47 gunship.

Remember someone referring to targets not long ago :bleh:

Not sure what I will be building for this one yet. Nothing in the stash so might have to go and :gulp: purchase some armour

hear that the sound of tracks rumbling......................resistance is futile....the dark lord beckons :wicked::devil:

Andy

building 2 wingy thingys :frantic:

Hi Wez, yes french ops are part of the GB.

Andy :speak_cool:

Good :hmmm: I'm thinking Bearcat's, Hellcat's, mmmm - did the French use AU1 Corsairs in Indochina???

It's only a possibility as is a Hun

Wez

Edited by Wez

Right got a massive amount of stash built up, was wondering am i able to bring a MiG 21 Fishbed L to the table?

If not then count me in for a MiG-17F

MiG-21 Fishbed-L, do you mean MiG-21Bis?

I think the VPAF recieved MiG-21Bis aircraft in 1979, after the Vietnam War. I don't know what the GB organisers would make of this. The Bis looks fairly similar to an MF (so much that Fujimi and Academy got confused), so you could build it as a MiG-21MF if you aren't too concerned about absolute accuracy and want something that fits in the time period.

Edited for poor use of grammar.

Edited by MiG Mongoose

Hi, good list but...................

Has anyone seen this site?

http://www.farfromglory.com/aircraft.htm

Has all the a/c listed that were supposedly used by both sides. May open up a few possibilities for some????? I for one will consider this GB, my first real one fron BM.

Kev C from OZ

no mention of the MkIX Spits used over there or Sunderland's/Catalina's for the best listing of combat aircraft used in theater have a look at Vietnam air war ( both volumes) remember as well F14's had just entered ops on the carriers....I think 2 birds flew CAP over the Enterprise during the evacuation but did not enter Vietnamese airspace as they were considered to valuable to lose to enemy anti-air.

near to the GB start I'll do a list from both books :hypnotised:

Andy.

its a mig 21 bis zvezda's one, its such a beautiful kit, i will be painting it in vietnam colours anyway with the loadout provided, im not one who is a massive massive strickler for accuracy, i wanted a MiG 21 for my vietnam collection, zvezdas was just too pretty to pass up on. If the group builders are that against me bringing it in, then i will leave it, and bring something else.