Vietnam Wars GB

Ian, can you tell me if any of the options are for Chaffees used at Dien Bien Phu, please?

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Afternoon OJK

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, the thread alert must've snafu'd. Well the good news is ALL of the M24's are Dien Bien Phu vehicles, all with similar but different yellow ochre/earth brown camo patterns over the basic OD. If you're interested I'll happily send you the remains after I've chosen what I'm going to build. There's three Sherman's all with different hull configurations, two M5's and a pair of M36 Jackson's aswell.

Back to you.

Ian

ALL of the M24's are Dien Bien Phu vehicles... If you're interested I'll happily send you the remains after I've chosen what I'm going to build.

That's a very generous offer, Ian, and one I would like to take you up on please. I've been gathering information with a view to doing some figures, and a Chaffee or two would make a good centrepiece.

That's a very generous offer, Ian, and one I would like to take you up on please. I've been gathering information with a view to doing some figures, and a Chaffee or two would make a good centrepiece.

Hey OJK

Just thought on, if you're going to the Nats, we could meet-up there.....

Back to you.

Ian

So from this list, I'll build two or three:

1:48

Tamiya A-1H/J Skyraider (definitely NOT VA-176 - the one with the big bumble bee on the tail, far too many of those around !!)

Ian

After some considerable consideration, I've decided to do this as my second build - alongside the French M24 - Will probably be VA-165 'Boomers' as I have the decals in the stash or VA-145 'Swordsmen' out of the re-issued Revell/Monogram kit, neither have a big bee on the tail !! :whistle: .Wont be adding too much in the way of extras, just an Eduard Zoom set and some LAU-10 (Zuni) pods from the Hasegawa weapons set, I've built the kit before and it was/is easily one of the best fitting, most complete kits I've ever put together.

AFN

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

" - Were F-84E's used in Vietnam? "

Definitely not, the French primarily used F8F's, Spit IX's, F6F's etc as ground attack platforms..... Didn't deploy any F-84's to 'Indochina'

Ian

" - Were F-84E's used in Vietnam? "

Definitely not, the French primarily used F8F's, Spit IX's, F6F's etc as ground attack platforms..... Didn't deploy any F-84's to 'Indochina'

Ian

Thanks Ian, guess it will be one of my initial choices then, pity as my F-84E looks a nice model

Wayne

Im in, will either bring in a Mig-21, a F-105D, or a F-8 or an A-4 Corsair II, All depends on what i get for X-mas from misses, fail safe is the F-105.

{Edit} were MiG 15s ever in Nam, as i might also have a think over doing one of those, anyway will decide on 4th of Jan and post then on what i shall be bringing to the build.

Edited by Moofles

I am thinking of an A4 in 1/48. Maybe the Italeri one, unless it is total pants,

I'm fairly certain that the Italeri kit is a re-box of the old Esci one. Not complete pants IIRC, But IMHO, better going for either the Monogram (easy to find/build but does have raised panel lines) or Hasegawa (expensive, well engineered, but beautiful when done). Just my :2c: .

Ian

I'm fairly certain that the Italeri kit is a re-box of the old Esci one. Not complete pants IIRC, But IMHO, better going for either the Monogram (easy to find/build but does have raised panel lines) or Hasegawa (expensive, well engineered, but beautiful when done). Just my :2c: .

Ian

Thanks Ian. You are right, it is the old Esci one. Somewhat lacking in cockpit detail I believe. I will give this further thought as I don't really want to go down the hideously expensive route!

{Edit} were MiG 15s ever in Nam, as i might also have a think over doing one of those, anyway will decide on 4th of Jan and post then on what i shall be bringing to the build.

In a sense yes, asNorth Vietnam used the Mig-15 in its two seat version (Mig-15 UTI). However it was the Mig-17 that was the combat plane equipping the air force at the start of the war, later supplemented by more modern types.

Can you put me down as a maybe. I am thinking of an A4 in 1/48. Maybe the Italeri one, unless it is total pants, in which case I will think again.

Tim, I can add to Ian's suggestions the Hobbycraft skyhawks. These are not bad, not as good as the hasegawa but much better than the old Esci. Not sure how easy they are to find though.

Edited by Giorgio N

Ah right cheers for the reply, im still thinking i may well do something from the North Vietnamese Airforce, either a MiG 17, or a 21 as there seems to be allot of allied planes on the table. But as i stated earlier all rests on what the misses picked up for me for christmas.

• 2 weeks later...
Tim, I can add to Ian's suggestions the Hobbycraft skyhawks. These are not bad, not as good as the hasegawa but much better than the old Esci. Not sure how easy they are to find though.

Thanks Giorgio. I will have a look for one. I am now tempted by an F100 in 1/48... Also, does anyone know if there is an F-105 in 1/48? I have never seen one but that doesn't mean anything!

Thanks Giorgio. I will have a look for one. I am now tempted by an F100 in 1/48... Also, does anyone know if there is an F-105 in 1/48? I have never seen one but that doesn't mean anything!

Hobby Boss do a F-105 in 1/48. Think they did D and G versions.

Edited by Shar2

Hobby Boss do a F-105 in 1/48. Think they did D and G versions.

As do Monogram.... (also available in a RoG box). Fantastic kit, but again with raised panel lines but do not let that put you off at all.

Ian

Edited by Ian