Vietnam Wars GB

did the French use AU1 Corsairs in Indochina???

It's ok, ex-Marines AU-1 were used by Aéronavale late in the war, starting missions on Dien Bien Phu from Bach Maï with 14F on 25 april 54.

AU-1 were used, instead of F4U-7, because the later would have been too late for this war.

14F lost 6 aircrafts, and 2 pilots.

I'm going to try and get a Hobby Boss F-105D Thunderchief done for this build. :banghead:

If I do get to it I intend on getting rid of all the rivets and just leave the panel lines. It will have an Aires cockpit and Quickboost refueling probe, nav lights and air scoops. It will have a full complement of 750lb bombs and will be camouflaged. Not exactly sure on what Thud I want to do just yet so can't say what markings as yet.

Cheers

Richard.

It's ok, ex-Marines AU-1 were used by Aéronavale late in the war, starting missions on Dien Bien Phu from Bach Maï with 14F on 25 april 54.

AU-1 were used, instead of F4U-7, because the later would have been too late for this war.

14F lost 6 aircrafts, and 2 pilots.

Antoine,

Thanks for your reply, I had an inkling that the Aéronavale used AU-1's in Indochina, I must say I think the fact the GB allows subjects from the French conflict in Indochina opens up plenty of interesting possibilities - too many maybe?

I'm still undecided as to what I'm going to do for this GB - better pull my finger out!

Regards

Wez

I'm going to do at least one of these. What would you choose?

Phantoms-two MiG Killer Js. Bandwagon 106(!) from VF-31 or Silver Kite 211 from VF-92. Hasegawa 1/48.

Skyhawks-Possibly an E from VA-192, either NM-200 or Lt.Estocin's aircraft. Received the MoH posthumously during an Iron Hand strike. F maybe "Lady Jessie" from VA-164. Hasegawa 1/48

Possibly a Vigilante. Trumpeter 1/48

Trumpeter Intruder, they Have 3 months to bring out the A model, or this plan is canned!

Corsair II. 1/32-Choice of 5!. I/48 possibly from VA-195 or VA-147. Trumpeter 1/32, Hasegawa 1/48.

Perhaps an Aardvark A, there is just something about this aircraft that needs it to be fully loaded with a stack of bombs! Hobbyboss 1/48

Perhaps a Crusader, VF-162, VF-53 or VF-211??

Anyway, it's going to be one of these, perhaps two, we'll just have to see.

FWIW, I think the Tomcats did some strafing runs, so I read in the WAPJ special all about the Tomcat. Don't quote me on this though but they definately flew CAP missions.

Any input on my choice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joel :captain:

FWIW, I think the Tomcats did some strafing runs, so I read in the WAPJ special all about the Tomcat. Don't quote me on this though but they definately flew CAP missions.

This has been mentioned very often, however sources seem to disagree with each other. Some state that nothing really happened and the cats only flew CAP over saigon during the evaquation. Others state that the plane were shot at from the ground and some that the tomcat crews replied by doing some strafing runs. Personally I find a bit difficult to believe that brand new fighter planes were risked on strafing runs over a country that was falling in the hands of the enemy, think of the effect of a tomcat falling in soviet hands during its first cruise ! Moreover, the gun was later used by tomcat crews during Iraqi Freedom and this was ofen mentioned as the only use of guns in anger, that seems to exclude an previous use in vietnam. The navy in vietnam also had planes that were far better suited to strafing ground targets compared to the tomcats.

Yet I guess that if the pilot had no choice he would have gone for the gun. Sure any pilot behaving like that would have had a hard time once back on the carrier !

Hi guys,

Wez I've gone from the start to include all combatants involved not just the usual suspects F4's, 105's & huns land sea & air ops, not many realise we were involved in Nam for at least 2 years before the handing over to french forces got to a point that we rearmed the Japanese POW's.

Joel, good to see Trumps Corsair II from a personal view their Vigilante would be nice (haven't seen one built).

yeah seems no one can be sure about the F14's ops in Nam both my sources state CAP only above the carrier was allowed while 4's flew air cover over Saigon.

Andy.

Right, that's settled then! Definitely a 1/32 Corsair, only one choice here-VA-195's CAG bird, an E from 1972. The decals will be from Victory Models' wonderful sheet. As for the Vigi, why not, I'm sure I have some decals that cover at least one cruise, and they did suffer a high loss rate. I'll get back to you on the markings for this one. One Corsair II and one Vigi from me!!

More of a question than anything related to doing a model, is the SS Mayaguez rescue included in this GB. This occured during 1975, and took place off Koh Tangh Island off the Cambodian coast. Units included CVW-15 from Coral Sea, F-111A's from the 347th TFW and Marine CH-53s.

As for the Tomcats, no worries, I have something far more recent in mind for these!

Joel

Hi,

More of a question than anything related to doing a model, is the SS Mayaguez rescue included in this GB. This occured during 1975, and took place off Koh Tangh Island off the Cambodian coast. Units included CVW-15 from Coral Sea, F-111A's from the 347th TFW and Marine CH-53s.

As for the Tomcats, no worries, I have something far more recent in mind for these!

Joel

yeah the SS Mayaguez rescue's fine to go, I wanted the GB to cover from the end of WWII & the British handover right up to the time when the Vietnamese gave their Chinese neighbor a bit of a kicking in the late 70's/(think).

Andy :frantic: