Phantom II F-4 Group Build

From memory the 1:48 Esci F-4's were 'generic' releases -ie, all the short nosed ones were the same with only a change of decals and afterburner cans: F-4B (& J) - cannot be built from the box, it has the later bulged wings over the wheel bay and no representation of a 'B' cockpit (in fact all the instruments are represented by decals !). A J could be built, but you would need to re-do the entire rear cockpit. The C & D could be made into fairly good models if you could live with aforementioned IP decals. The E agin isn't too bad, but (again from memory), has only the earlier un-slatted wing.

In short, by the time you 'accurized' and detailed any of the Esci F-4's you will have wasted a shed load of time, effort and money..... My advice - find a Hasegawa one and build it OoB. It will look great !

Best

Ian

Thanks Ian the search for a Hasegawa one will begin in earnest!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Ian the search for a Hasegawa one will begin in earnest!

Sadly it might be a long search, the Sundowner Spook is highly sort after and both the F-4 and F-14 kits fetch quite a price on evilbay.

I know!!!

390049641.jpg

390494076.jpg

Dave (a sundowners fan!)

UK420J.jpg

Good shot of the 'slotted stabs' on FGR2 XV420. I remember during a break from Live Armed Guard duties over a weekend, having my lunch on the staboard wing of this aircraft at Neat. It took some time and effort to get up on the wing. The C.O of Neatishead, Barry Titchen - hence the BT code, had this aircraft 'flown' in from Wattisham, by Chinook. The aircraft arrived wearing 74 Squadron markings on one side and 56 on the other. This was soon rectified and remained there until the axe fell on her.

regards

Andrew

Edited by TEZ

I'm still not sure what I'm going to build, but I want to shy away from the normal Gull Gray build (not that I have done one yet!)

I might go for 2 or three builds, and try to add a bit of colour, these are in the running at present

390049455.jpg

390049623.jpg

390049442.jpg

390049649.jpg

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've found a kit for this, but I think there may, just may, be a problem with it.

My kit is the FROG "McDonnell Phantom F-4K or M", and printed on the corner of the

bottom of the box is "Moulded in Japan". I believe that means that this kit is Hasegawa

plastic in a FROG box.

Now, ISTR reading on some forum that the Hasegawa plastic in this kit is not correct for a

F-4K or M, the fuselage modifications are not evident in the plastic (or something!)

I also have a Revell 1/48 F-4C/D kit (may build that as well later!) and the fuselages look very similar. The only

other 'Tooms I have ever built (Tooms are outside my recent interests) were a Matchbox

one in about 197? and the Airfix USN bird in 196? (Ah, the innocence of youth!)

Can anyone confirm (or deny) what I've heard about this kit?, so that I can build it appropriately.

If it's not right for a Brit 'Toom, I'll get some AM decals...............

:coat:

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to join my first GB, not built a kit and completed it for 12 years, I've got around 12 Phantoms to choose from and it will OOB, not up to the standards of the builders here, but i will certainly enjoy getting back in the saddle with a Phantom, may even go mad and start with the Revell 1/32nd F-4J

Mick

Scratch Bandwagon 106 from this GB, might be going to Vietnam GB instead!! Might do an S in her place, maybe a lo-viz VMFA-321 or VF-151. Mind you, that new RF-4EJ from Hasegawa looks tempting, the gun nose Phantom with a photopod....

Joel

Ok, scratch my 1/72 FROG YF-4K(ish), it's more like Casper than any other spook!

I'm still in, though, I'll be building Revell's 1/48 F-4C/D, probably OOB.....

But it'd be a good opportunity to use some PE or resin, eh??

I'm not brave enough to join a group build yet but this seemed like a good place to ask if anyone knows who does a 1:48 FG1 kit? I'd like to have a bash at a 43 sqn Toom but can't find a kit.

Join in the GB. I joined in my first GB three years ago when I returned to the hobby. My skills where virtually non existent. But I found the GB and the members taking part full of encouragement and advice. Consequently I build my first model that was airbrushed. Come an join us, we don't bite.

Thanks Mick, Hasegawa FG1 on order from e-bay so I guess I'll be joining the build. No idea what I'm getting myself into!! Just need to source some 43 decals now. I think it's fair to say that apart from these and the paint job this one will be very much oob!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in. Two FGR2 sans RWR for starters, one from 228 OCU with tac (68mm rockets and SUU pod) fit and the other from 23 Sqn with standard AD fit both in DG/DG/LAG colour schemes. I may also get around to finishing a 1-32 scale Euro One USAFE RF-4C that I started in 1996 which is only about 10% built.