Sukhoi Su-9 Fishpot B

I was pretty happy with the NMF finish on my Airfix MiG-15, so I decided to try the same technique using Citadel acrylic paints to finish this model. I purchase this kit for a bargain price from my local model shop, but on opening the (squashed) box I was greeting with the predictable but still soul-destroying sight of a collection of bright blue parts rattling around unbagged.

Su-9-9.jpg

Su-9-8.jpg

A closer inspection revealed that all was not lost, however; the kit has finely engraved panel lines throughout and although it is lacking in detail in some areas such as the cockpit and wheel wells, there is nothing that a little basic scratchbuilding can't improve. Assembly was straightforward as this is a pretty basic kit. Overall the fit is not bad, although a little bit of sanding and filling is needed and there are a couple of sink marks on the bottom of the wings. I used plastic card to improve the cockpit, and popped in a Pavla resin seat rather than use the one provided with the kit. I polished up the canopy and dipped it in Klear, which improved it massively.

I used Alclad grey primer to cover up all that horrible blue plastic, and then airbrushed the model with Mithril Silver and Chainmail Citadel acrylics, thinned with water and a little acrylic flow improver. The decals are crisp and thin but not very opaque, so I used the stencils but replaced the Soviet stars with those from Airfix MiG-15. The fuel tanks provided are a bit clunky so I replaced them with a spare pair from a Trumpeter Su-15. The undercarriage is the weakest part of the kit, being far too spindly, so I carved it up and used brass rod and plastic tube to improve it. The RS-2-US missiles supplied are not bad, so I just used invisible thread to represent the wire holding the proximity fuse caps in place. Weathering was achieved with Promodeller Dark Dirt wash and Tamiya Weather Master pastels.

Overall it was a nice kit to build and it took me only a week to build from start to finish (so much for my New Year resolution to slow down!).

Su-9-1.jpg

Su-9-2.jpg

Su-9-3.jpg

Su-9-4.jpg

Su-9-5.jpg

Su-9-6.jpg

Su-9-7.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Paul A H

Well, I reckon that collection of bright blue parts has built into a very nice little Sukhoi.

Really nice job - well done! :goodjob:

cheers

Rick

Great stuff Paul, finish looks great. :thumbsup: This is the sort of subject I'd like to see Trumpy have a crack at.

Incidentally, what sort of flow improver do you use? I've got some Citadels to have a bash with in the near future, but having never used acrylics, am a bit worried about clogging my AB :hmmm:

Thanks everyone!

Great stuff Paul, finish looks great. :thumbsup: This is the sort of subject I'd like to see Trumpy have a crack at.

Incidentally, what sort of flow improver do you use? I've got some Citadels to have a bash with in the near future, but having never used acrylics, am a bit worried about clogging my AB :hmmm:

Hi Seamus

I use this one from Winsor and Newton. I got it from Hobbycraft for less than a fiver. A bottle goes a long way too. I might try thinning the Citadel acrylics with celulose next - anyone tried this?

I built one of these from the Kopro kit a couple of years ago

Su9.jpg

I thought that whilst accurate in overall shape there were a lot of problems. The wing section looked so thick and blunt that it might have been more at home on a Typhoon (the WW2 variety). The fin seemed far too thick. I spent so much time thinning wings and fin that I wondered if scratch building might have been a better option.

John

It looks different and you've made a very nice job of it.

Makes you wonder though what it's endurance must've been.

Judging from that dirty great big jet pipe and the lack of anywhere to put a decent amount of fuel,it'd be about five minutes.

I bet landing the thing was an exciting experience too going on the wing area and it

having that hairy-assed Lyulka AL-7 engine stuffed up it's backside.

It's a corker.

Mark

It looks different and you've made a very nice job of it.

Makes you wonder though what it's endurance must've been.

Judging from that dirty great big jet pipe and the lack of anywhere to put a decent amount of fuel,it'd be about five minutes.

I bet landing the thing was an exciting experience too going on the wing area and it

having that hairy-assed Lyulka AL-7 engine stuffed up it's backside.

It's a corker.

Mark

Thanks Mark. From what I've read, endurance with drop tanks would have been broadly comparable to a Lightning - so about 5 minutes is probably not far off!