1/35 scale NISSEN hut

Okdoky

Started laying down the brick courses with wood glue onto a cardboard background. I have to say myself that it gives a very pleasing effect.

DVC03501.jpg

DVC03502.jpg

DVC03503.jpg

Am nackered and need my bed.

Night night

Nige

Hi Steve

First task is to get a serious build going just to show the hut first on a completed base. I will make it in a way that I can remove one or both of the ends (dunno which yet) so that I can add detail much later.

My skills and time getting pushed having the 24th April as a definite deadline there is no way I will get fittings and furniture done in time.

Any volounteers to do pow bunk beds, tables and stools in 1/35 gratefully accepted.

Nige

From a site called German Prisoners of War in Britain

About eighty men lodged in each hut. (Probably would not get so many in a hut the size of my Nissen hut) Apart from the beds, the only furniture consisted of two tables and four benches. Prisoners squatted on the edge of the bed or lay in bunks. There was not a single moment of real peace because one was surrounded by games of cards, stories, discussions, lessons and other noises...always the same faces"

incamp.jpg

A scene inside a Nissen hut. Note the wooden bunks and the heater in the middle of the room. This was the only source of heat in the hut and in winter temperatures dropped considerably inside.

I can remember the nissen huts at Cultybraggen being able to get two person bunk beds (usual one above the other) side on or end to the curved wall. I notice in the photo above the simple timber bunks accommodate three persons stacked one above the other with the lowest not very high of the floor. Granted, the building they are in has high vertical walls but thetop bunk doesn't look much higher than the normal bunks.

Another article I read about Cultybraggen noted that the timber bunks had a mattress of straw filled fabric. The prisoners were issued with two blankets.

Nige

Got round to grouting up the brick courses with basic household all pupose filler only a £1 a tub.

Coffee stirrer as a trowel to lay on the filler and press it in to the brick beds and perp-end joints.

DVC03509.jpg

part filled and excess rubbed off with a damp cloth

DVC03508.jpg

DVC03511.jpg

DVC03510.jpg

Outside face

DVC03514.jpg

Inside face (note the addition of coffee stirrers to form the buttressing which was also bricked over

DVC03513.jpg

Cheers

Nige

Hi folks

One of the other sites pointed out about the lack of lintels. Lintels could be concrete, metal or even simple timber lintels set in the brick. I was going on the basis of a simple metal lintel given the very short spans and minimal self weight of the brick above.

Being in the building industry you would have thought I would have made a point of checking the photos a bit closer to see which might have been used !

This hut at Cultybraggen clearly has the edges of either a concrete or timber lintel showing through the RENDERED brick face Bu**er .

372CultybragganHutweb.jpg

Yes RENDERED !!! And it is likely that this was the original construction as it was very common in Scotland to render the brickwork for weathertightness.

So, as my Nissen hut is based on the premise that it is at Cultybraggen (Camp 21) at the very beginning of the war, I will need to render the lovely brickwork on the exterior. Emphasising the lintels slightly would not be a problem.

I should have gone to specsavers !!!!!!

Bu**er

Nige

Hi folks

Got round to fitting concrete lintels in the windows and doors,

DVC03516.jpg

Rear wall section with no door

DVC03517.jpg

Also rendered over the brickwork on the outer faces.

DVC03519.jpg

Also prepared the base for the dio using a plaster mix

DVC03522.jpg

I have left a reasonable border around so I can develope the dio over time ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, long time no doubt !!!!!!

DVC03523.jpg

Space for vehicles or figures or both.

Nige

Thanks Mish

You are worse than me !!!!!! I stay up late and post early in the morning if I am lucky enough to have got some work done on my model. You are up with the lark and reading new posts !!!!!

Hope to get some more done tonight.

Nige

A great pity to have to cover up that lovely brick work.

:confused:

Hi Murdo. Thanks for looking in on the build.

The Nissen hut is supposed to be one on the POW camp 21 at Cultybraggen in Scotland at the beginning of the war.

I got round to adding some acrylic paint to the base of plaster using a good mix of colours from burnt umber through raw siena to ochre.

Then used a very watered down PVA wood glue brushed liberaly over the base in patches to place a mix of scorched grass, fresh grass, normal dried tea leaves, interspaced with a small amount of strawberry flavoured (and red coloured) tea leaves.

DVC03524.jpg

I have added a concrete platt outside the door with a metal boot scraper set in and some timber duck boards to get to the roadway

DVC03525.jpg

I gave the interior brickwork a light wash of dirty black acrylic to give the bricks a little more texture and picked out a few with black spots to mimic well fired bricks.

DVC03528.jpg

As a compromise to the art (tee hee) I have scraped of a couple of patches of the roughcast to expose the brickwork below. Then I gave the roughcast a wash of variou shades of light blues, greys and a final wash of dirty black.

DVC03527.jpg

Hope you like

DVC03526.jpg

Nige

That is looking really good very impressed with the level of detail you are adding :speak_cool:

Hi Snipe and Mish

I must admit I am rushing this a bit as I am desperate to get something on the club table at Perth show. When I see other dios and building construction blogs on here and other sites I can pick faults galore. I will put this down to the learning curve and when I can sit on my backside and take time to build I might well try to improve on a future version.

I am glad you like the efforts so far though and I hope I can get the outer skin and painting down while I am on hols in the caravan over next two weeks.

Nige

Hi folks

Up at Lossiemouth and able to spend time doing what I want for a change !!!!!

Made a start at skinning the hut

DVC03529.jpg

Started from the back elevation

DVC03532.jpg

The first sheets were cut to allow them to be crimpped around the curve of the wall head

DVC03533.jpg

You can see how the interior skin sits

Update

DVC03554.jpg

DVC03549.jpg

DVC03550.jpg

DVC03550.jpg

DVC03552.jpg

DVC03553.jpg

DVC03546.jpg

DVC03547.jpg

DVC03548.jpg

Got some nice sunny, dry and calm weather to take some outdoor pics

Nige

I could lift the outer skin off to add the next sheets but I found later that this led to a slight rise which I had to compensate for by keeping the skin on the base to make more accurate placement of each panel

DVC03539.jpg

A small dot of superglue easily held the aluminium sheets together

DVC03537.jpg

How the outer skin looks from inside

DVC03540.jpg

How the inner skin looks

DVC03541.jpg

Gradually building the outer skin

DVC03543.jpg

How each panel overlaps the next

DVC03545.jpg

DVC03543.jpg

Nige

Edited by Okdoky

Hi folks

Got around to adding some acrylic paints to the tin. First attempt seems a bit to red in colour but am happy to let this dry out and go over again with another coat with a bit more brown to orange colour.

DVC03619.jpg

DVC03620.jpg

DVC03621.jpg

DVC03622.jpg

DVC03624.jpg

DVC03626.jpg

DVC03627.jpg

The weather has been fantastic here in Lossie

Nige