1/35 scale NISSEN hut

Okdoky

Looks v good.

Are you taking the Cultybraggan Hut to the Perth 800 show in April?

Am keen to see/photo it...I live in Comrie and have just written -with others- a history of the Cultybraggan Camp . (Cultybraggan Local History Project)

I spent time interviewing a man this week who was in 249 Pioneer (Alien) Company who spent time in Cultybraggan in 1941, building the Camp!

Grant

Looking the biz Nige, where's the chimney for the shove ;)

Hi there Mish

Still got to install a chimney, flue and stove. Just found some pics of their constructiona nd approx location. Another task over next couple of days.

Hi Grant

I will be taking the hut to Perth with me so I hope I got the general look about right. I figured from pics of Cultybraggen and another POW camp where colour pics of sheds that remain were on web sites, this colour appears close. Not sure how close but others can and will soon tell me I am sure.

I know a few points I would correct next time around, and I have just found, this week a magazine with a fighter dispersal Nissen hut during B of B with a nice, plain brick, end walls. So may give this a go. and possibly go for a green colour next time.

Nige

Were did the hot weather bugger off to?

Been in the tourer working on the hut. Made a sub frame for the windows by splitting matchsticks into four long thin strips with a sharp blade.

DVC03535.jpg

DVC03699.jpg

Then trapped clear perspex within folded strips of tin foil to make the steel framed windows

DVC03700.jpg

Typical side hung and a top hung window beside a fixed double pane for each opening

DVC03698.jpg

DVC03701.jpg

DVC03697.jpg

Am heading back to the tourer to make the other three sets and start on the wooden door and frame.

Wife desires her lap top to chat with all her palls even though I could not log on to the dongle at all today.

Nige

More work today

Decided to have a go at making a stove and flue for the hut,

DVC03702.jpg

DVC03703.jpg

made using tin foil pressed around hole cutters to make a tube for the fire box. Still got to make a door for feeding the stove. Four basic legs made out of cut matchsticks. All to be painted black and darkened with more appropriate colours ??????? don't know which yet ???????

DVC03704.jpg

The flue made of plastic tube with tin foil wrapped around has a chinese hat on top using a circle of tin with a segment cut out to allow the cone to be formed and placed on a coil of wire with three ends sticking down to locate in the flue.

DVC03708.jpg

The flashing around the flue penetration through the corrugated roof will be painted black to represent a fire proof cauking and bitumin tar water proofing.

DVC03707.jpg

I used sand and fine pebbles from Lossie beach in a thick PVA glue mix to make the track a little rougher. I also brushed fine sand of a more grey colour in between the larger pebbles to bed them in more naturally using various amounts of water to wash in the mix. Once the glue started going off I used a wet brush to lick over the pebbles and track to leave some pebbles clearly showing through the top surface.

DVC03712.jpg

I added some additional flock in places where too much of the previous cover was washed away.

DVC03711.jpg

DVC03713.jpg

Small bushes were added to give the surface just a little more texture.

DVC03714.jpg

Also added window stays but still got to make tiny little catches

DVC03715.jpg

DVC03716.jpg

Nige

• Like 1

That is looking superb Nige!

:analintruder:

Hi Murdo

Got a chance to make a correction which was easier than I thought. The previous hole now has a ventilation cowl over it and the stove flue now exits up against the rear wall.

DVC03722.jpg

DVC03724.jpg

DVC03723.jpg

Hope it looks better and thanks for the input as usual.

Still got two more windows to glaze. Should have got Everest in to give them double glazing (Tee Hee).

DVC03717.jpg

DVC03718.jpg

Here is the long suffering wife putting up with me hogging the caravan table.

DVC03719.jpg

DVC03721.jpg

Nige

Will you have this at the Scots Nats Nige?

Murdo

Not being pedantic, o yes I am really! fight.gif It should be Nissen hut, Nissan is a Japanese car.

Phil

Hi Murdo

Yep the NISSEN hut is planned to be completed for the Perth Show. Otherwiae I will have nothing to put on the Bof B themed Stirling club table.

Phil

You are not being pedantic, just correct. Unfortunately I have had this embarracing spelling mistake pointed out on the other sites but I don't know how to adjust the spelling on the title.

Never mind I will have to put up with it as is.

Nige

Hi folks

That is me back from our hols and feeling like I want to go back up for another couple of weeks. Was so nice to get away.

Now that I am home I only have a week to finish of the hut. Will need to get stuck into it tomorrow. May use the caravan so I feel like I am still on hols.

Bugger ,,,,,,, back to work on Monday too.

Nige

Brief update with some windows and a door

DVC03853.jpg

DVC03849.jpg

Door is made of four coffee stirrers glued together and each strip of wood has been carved to make two boards instead of one.

DVC03846.jpg

Hinges work and are made of tin foil and wire

DVC03851.jpg

DVC03852.jpg

I haven't forgotten the door handles (not in the photos here) made from pin head stuck through a drilled hole.

The inner frame is made of coffee stirrers

DVC03848.jpg

DVC03854.jpg

DVC03856.jpg

DVC03855.jpg

DVC03847.jpg

DVC03845.jpg

Making a start at some early luftwaffe POW's using this kit

DVC03864.jpg

Changing the tanker's jackets to luftwaffe style

DVC03860.jpg

DVC03861.jpg

DVC03862.jpg

DVC03863.jpg

Nige

• 5 years later...

So much effort has gone into this, shame its not really accurate.

I would have thought using a 6" plastic pipe would have been a good starting point.

On your first post you say the span is 20ft but actual Nissen huts are 16ft span, 24ft or 30ft spans.

I dont know the exact 35th scale size in mm (72nd is 4mm to the foot) so presuming 35th is 8mm to the foot then 8 x 16 = 128mm (aprox 5").

Have to admire your determination to succeed :goodjob:

Here is my 48th scale 16ft Nissen with a span of 100mm

16606314513_2313b64480_z.jpg