Black Prince in Korea?

denstore

Well according to the blurb on the Bovi muesum site there were only 6 prototype Black Prince's (A34) made, and it never saw production let alone active service.

The Black Prince was an attempt to up armour the Churchill wth the 17pdr gun. but retain

I think the wiki entry has got mixed up with Black Prince and Churchill tanks, which did see service in Korea.

Bovi Link

Just checked in David Fletchers Churchil book. Black Prince weightd 49tons and was armed with the 17pdr gun. Pilots o0nly were built and none saw action.

Pilot no 4 is the only survivor and is in the tank museum at Bovington

Neil

• 3 months later...

I'm not that into what-ifs. They just don't appeal to me. If I had the model, I would probably do it as one of the trial veichles. I don't mind if they didn't see action.

Hi,

Millicast do a resin 1/76 black prince,i have one and it's a nice model.

Millicast do have a website and the owner john walsh is a nice guy to deal with,if you google millicast models you will see the kits.

Regards SMUDGER

As previously said only pilot models were built and none saw service, however, in a programme in the "Killer Tanks" series, made I believe , for the History Channel, historian Major Gordon Corrigan, eroniously states that Black Prince saw action in Korea. He probably confused this vehicle with the Churchill Crocodiles that did see service in Korea and this misinformation has made it to Wikipedia.

• 1 month later...
As previously said only pilot models were built and none saw service, however, in a programme in the "Killer Tanks" series, made I believe , for the History Channel, historian Major Gordon Corrigan, eroniously states that Black Prince saw action in Korea. He probably confused this vehicle with the Churchill Crocodiles that did see service in Korea and this misinformation has made it to Wikipedia.

Interesting note on the crocodiles that went to Korea, none fought as flame thrower tanks (possibly due to the difficulties of pulling that trailer over Korean terrain) all fought as gun tanks