Hasegawa 1/48 AH-64A Apache

I'm calling this complete now. A nice kit, the rivets need a bit of TLC when getting rid of seams. Finished with Gunze Paints diluted with their levelling thinner and decals from the box, which are horribly thick and silvered in places over the rivets even after a good layer of clear. Matted down with good old Humbrol Matt Cote. The build thread is here:

Linky

14MAR10a015.jpg

14MAR10a014.jpg

14MAR10a008.jpg

14MAR10a006.jpg

14MAR10a025.jpg

14MAR10a018.jpg

14MAR10a017.jpg

14MAR10a043.jpg

14MAR10a042.jpg

14MAR10a035.jpg

14MAR10a050.jpg

14MAR10a051.jpg

Wow, that looks good!

Really nice weathering on her, she really looks like she's just got back from a sortie!

Incidentally, the white marks on the top of the rotors, I was told (by an Apache techie) are wrong. I got this wrong on mine as well, only found out later on. If you look at in flight photo's of the Apache, they do appear like this. In fact these are two data plates that when in motion look blurred. One of the kit manufacturers has looked at an in motion shot and produced the decals, all the other companies seem to have followed suite!

Doesn't detract from the build though. Looks superb!

Nice paintjob! Looks totally believable. Only the rotor hub doesn't have the same "organic" look as the rest of the heli.

How did you do the wheels? They look superb! And the wear on the tops of the rotors too...

Big thumbs up from me! :clap:

Nice paintjob! Looks totally believable. Only the rotor hub doesn't have the same "organic" look as the rest of the heli.

How did you do the wheels? They look superb! And the wear on the tops of the rotors too...

Big thumbs up from me! :clap:

The wheels were just sprayed with the bog standard airframe colour for the hubs, then some Tamiya NATO black for the tyres brush painted on. Kleared, then a wash of Mig dark wash followed by a liberal coating of matt cote. The matt cote went a bit chalky in places were I was a little bit too generous with the airbrush, a little thinned wash of the NATO black toned it down and that was it. Serendipity I believe.

The rotor hub material is actually cast metal of that colour, the ones I have been up close to and pictured do not show signs of wear/fading, so it was the normal base colour, a light dry brush with grey oil paint, Kleared then the wash. I believe the hub metal is cast purposely so its of a significantly higher density than normally encountered therefore being more resistant to damage. The main blades were painted NATO black, then various splotches of darker and lighter shades using grey, dark blue and brown in differing mixes to add a bit of tonal difference. Then using the airbush I randomly brushed lines of the same differing shades of black (grey added, dark blue added, brown etc) going back and forwards over the of the blades at approx 90 degrees to the length of the blade in a random manner. That took about, oooh 5 mins! ;)

I want to do a UK WAH-64D after working closely with them in 06 in Afghanistan. This is sort of a warmer in the bank before having a crack at it. I have Oz's resin bits and bobs to make a WAH-64D, so am now confident I can do it some sort of justice. However I will not be using any Hasegawa Decals, they silvered very slightly on some rivets which is a bit of a bummer.

Thanks for the nice comments Gents and Ladies :heart::blush: