Walrus's build

AnonymousFO98

If I can get enough energy and motivation will try a OOB to get the model making going again

019.jpg

I have done some mods to the kit seats. The painting was how the kit came, with a Sea Fox I was after

The enamels were applied well enough but decided to strip them off anyway.

There is a Lesney matchbox mark on the fuselage inside dated 1973.

Typical kit for the period so on a par with current Airfix standards though the plastic seems soft, and the canvas ribbing not so well done.

The soapy nature of the plastic suggests it is one of the Chinese manufactured jobs ?

Not going to do much detailing but I have a nice set of decals with the sliver lady tailfin art as per banner. Which if am honest are too good for the kit unless improved :lol:

If finish in time (not a hope in the world) I would also like to build a Draken

but would be glad to finish anything at the moment

Am assuming that the "work" done so far is within GB rules.

Edited by walrus

Looking good Walrus, "soapy" plastic and all............

Cheers,

ggc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having finally cleared up a couple of things managed to get some work done on the the Lizzie :yahoo:

Trouble is I then bombed out Tuesday and yesterday and not had chance today for any modelling :(

So have stalled - hopefully will get some more done over the weekend and get the innards sorted to close up the fuselage.

There has been some useful info on Iain Art's thread but sadly too late to incorporate into my build

Have not gone for authentic 100% replication but has been good to get back into the game - if not for long

Will post some pics asap

Have also ordered a Eduard set for the Hase 1/72 Finnish Hurri so will try and build that one OOB + PE if you see what I mean.

edit: Hey Ray how about that for timing?

was typing as you posted :lol:

Edited by walrus

not been able to mainain the momentum.

was hoping to show some pics with painting on the interior by now and start getting ready to close up the fuselage soon :(

anyway have scratched an IP as well, though not shown below.

still a fair bit to do and will try and recommence later today if all goes well.

012.jpg

013.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Your Lysander is coming along nicely, these MB kits certainly lend themselves to craftsman like detailing...

Cheers,

ggc

Thanks ggc

Have decided to just get her closed up now so have omitted a couple of photo etch trim wheels and a lever or two.

The I should have just broken down the central section and built it up again.

It would have made life a lot easier.

Looks a little rough under the macro but didn't look too bad with a coat of primer on.

004.jpg

the column has been nicked from the Hurri :ninja:

Am quite pleased with the pilot's harness which I made from brown stuff, which is like green stuff but is, erm... brown. :blink:

002.jpg

It dries a bit harder than green stuff and is recommended for sculpting armour and straps on figures.

005.jpg

the scratchbuilt wire back rest took a hammering with all the handling but will have to do :D

That ain't a Liquorice allsort btw but a fuel tank :lol:

Any hoo the primer is on the innards so will be able to start painting soon, though will have my daughter with me next week , so modelling will slow down even more.

Details lookin gut mine herr!!

Cheers,

Uncle Otto

"Am quite pleased with the pilot's harness which I made from brown stuff, which is like green stuff but is, erm... brown. :blink:

002.jpg"

Harness is bloomin' amazing for being made out of filler!

If you are using the matchbox canopy shut, test fit to see just how much you will see...and if you can't see much then don't worry.

What you have done will look great with some careful painting.

And looking damn fine for a rebuild.

are you doing in RAF colours or the later Finnish repaint?

A quick scan here, though I think you asked, just in case not, I think the fabric on the inside of the Lysander (certainly is on the Hurricane) is a patchy brick-red where the red dope primer bleeds through the fabric. I'm not up much on the Lysander so can anyone else confirm or correct this?

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith

Looks lovely, walrus. I do love the Lizzie :wub:

A quick scan here, though I think you asked, just in case not, I think the fabric on the inside of the Lysander (certainly is on the Hurricane) is a patchy brick-red where the red dope primer bleeds through the fabric. I'm not up much on the Lysander so can anyone else confirm or correct this?

Pretty sure this is about right, although I do have photos of the Shuttleworth Lizzie which show the interior to be a very light green. Perhaps it's dependent on the state of (dis)repair? The Shuttleworth machine is pretty immaculate.

Dan

Thanks again chaps

And thanks for the timely reminder to the dope about red dope.

Managed to forget about that! The only colour pics I have seen are the ones from preserved Lizzies and invariably green.

The interior is primed ready for painting.

The Matchbox canopy is quite thick but am glad I put the detailing in. It looked very bare through the glass!

Going to be doing the Finnish scheme Troy as per my sig ;)

Edited by walrus

Thanks again chaps

And thanks for the timely reminder to the dope about red dope.

Managed to forget about that! The only colour pics I have seen are the ones from preserved Lizzies and invariably green.

The interior is primed ready for painting.

The Matchbox canopy is quite thick but am glad I put the detailing in. It looked very bare through the glass!

Going to be doing the Finnish scheme Troy as per my sig ;)

Hi Paul

the extra detail looks great!

as you are doing the Finnish applied paint, it means the Lizzie had an overhaul and was then repainted, and any interior repairs would end up in Finnish light grey (same as RAF medium sea grey) if you fancy breaking up the interior a bit.... just a thought.

I don't think the Finns tended to repaint in the insides (would you?) unless they has done repairs, but could allow you a bit of artistic licence....

Just a thought

cheers

T

Thanks chaps

Decided that I would start having to think too much about repainted areas so left it alone Troy.

Hope the dope colour is about right.

Nearly got it finished and want to start closing up the fuselage soon.

Again the macro makes it look a lot worse than with the naked eye, and doesn't look too bad in the flesh. Honest

colourcomposite1.jpg

019-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Quite pleased with the scratched IP and the radio

Bit more to do on the former, but nearly sorted

comments welcome especially regarding the canvas dope colour.

Thanks for looking