CA Brewster B239 1/48th

Hiya - right heres my model for the GB. Now I have to admit this model is a bit started - but I hope that OK, I havent done anything to it for ages, so its not like I've been sneaking in work or anything :closedeyes:

Heres the box and markings shots

CA239box.jpg

239markings.jpg

And heres the PE

239etch.jpg

heres the state of play as of today

239partmade.jpg

239sprues.jpg

Hope thisis OK?

Jonners

I don't intend to split hairs over a bit of preliminary work like that.

The Brewster is what piqued my interest in the FAF in the first place, so I'll be following this with interest. I'm quite tempted by the Special Hobby version in 1/32 actually, but I decided I had enough here that 'need' building first.....

Cheers,

Bill.

I don't intend to split hairs over a bit of preliminary work like that.

The Brewster is what piqued my interest in the FAF in the first place, so I'll be following this with interest. I'm quite tempted by the Special Hobby version in 1/32 actually, but I decided I had enough here that 'need' building first.....

Cheers,

Bill.

Cheers Bill, it was the Brewster and the Curtiss Hawk that got me into Finnish aviation ( was it the old revel 1/72 P-36 that had a Finnish painted one on the box?). I actually stripped the silver from the fuselage this afternoon, as it was very brush marky, and resprayed with tamiya gloss alumnium.

cheers

Jonners

Bit more work on the old girl today

Added the compass housing the the front coaming ( when the Finns installed ReVi gunsights they had to move the compass form the top centre of the instrument panel - so they put in a small fairing on the top right of the coaming)

239compass1.jpg

B239compass.jpg

I've added blast tubes to the wing gun locations - another little detail thats seems to be peculiarly Finnish, as is the rear seat armour - which I've added to the regular seat by cutting down the 1peice "armoured seat" also supplied in the kit.

B235guntube.jpg

B239seat.jpg

Finaly some of the etch detail has been added to the cockpit sidewalls, and a new throttle quadrant made.

B239cockpitsidewalls.jpg

B239compass.jpg

Just contemplating what to do with the rather detail-less prop now.

Jonners

Great subject....Buffalo's Rule [ but only if used by the Finn's ]

GB Cheers,

ggc

More progress on the cockpit today. Decided it needed a bit of enlivening, so I've added a few wires, levers and rods to giv eit a bit mor eof a busy look. Plus the instrument panel has been rebuild using a new wider backpanel ( kit one is too narrow), and the ubiquitous eduard etch panel added. Still needs a bit of work to allow the Revi gunsight to fit, but its all looking a bit more "busy" now.

B239portwiring.jpg

B239strbdwiring.jpg

B239floorwire.jpg

B239panel.jpg

Looking good Jon.

I don't do a lot of detailing/scratchbuilding myself and seeing others doing so gives me

enthusiasm to 'have a go'.

Deacon

• 3 weeks later...

More wore gents and gentesses.

Engine - comes as an IM part in the kit minus push rods or igntion harness. Well it would be rude not to.

Rolled brass wire used for the push rods, then primed with mr surfacer, then the ignition harmess added with same wire in different gauges

engine1.jpg.

Finally more mr surfacer sprayed to primed all the metal

engine2.jpg

Jonners

Very nice - hitting all the details!

You might want to add the instruction placard in the middle of the instrument panel, it will add a bit of color (of course it was in Finnish on the 239, but something close will be enough). All the best - Jim

USNinstrumentpanelplacard.jpg

Edited by jimmaas

• 4 weeks later...