Hasegawa 1/48 Bf109G-6

gcn

For this GB i'll be doing a 109G-6 from hasegawa as I had one in the stash.

P1000109.jpg

as usual I'll be adding stuff to it so sanding equipment at the ready I have the Aires pit to squeeze in, I does look very nice

P1000112.jpg

and I've got some Montex masks that I've not used before. I'm undecided on the scheme at present but i'm leaning towards the top one.

P1000110.jpg

Based on plans in the modellers datafile and the Aero Detail Book i'll attempt to rivet it as well using Radus rather snazzy riveter, so it has the potential to go the shape of the pear very early on.

Moi Moi!

Just a note having seen the marking guide. The Finns changed the background colour of their Hakaristii to RLM 76, but quite often markings show them as being a different colour to the underside RLM76 ( as do these). if anything the circular disks might be slightly differnt in tone from the underside colour, but beware of ones that look very pale blue.

If you can cope with it it might be an idea to spray RLM 76 where the roundel bases go, mask these with circular discs, then carry on with your camo paintitng, revealing them at the end. That way you'll have fresher discs of RLM 76 against your camo work, which you can apply the Hakaristi to ( assuming the decals have separate crooked crosses form backgrounds of course)

Just a thought anyway.

Jonners

Moi Moi!

Just a note having seen the marking guide. The Finns changed the background colour of their Hakaristii to RLM 76, but quite often markings show them as being a different colour to the underside RLM76 ( as do these). if anything the circular disks might be slightly differnt in tone from the underside colour, but beware of ones that look very pale blue.

Can I ask what is your source? Because my sources says that background color was RLM 65 not RLM 76. RLM 65 was mixed in finland and I think that it was little bit more grey than german RLM 65. Sorry about my mistake english but I hope you understand.

Can I ask what is your source? Because my sources says that background color was RLM 65 not RLM 76. RLM 65 was mixed in finland and I think that it was little bit more grey than german RLM 65. Sorry about my mistake english but I hope you understand.

Moi Moi,

Nothing wrong with your english - makes my Finnish look awful!!

I'm going from seveal sources, but all of them like the squadron signal book are not first hand... hang on, hold that, Just checked again ( . I stand very much corrected. DN 5414 RLM 65 seems to have been the preferred colour, though some reference is given to units using other grey blues too ( so if you had RLM 76 to hand you might use that, I guess, he said, hoping!!). Date given is 21.1.44 which is later than I'd thought too.

You have my apologies sir. GCN - its not RLM 76 ( well it might be if its a unit based tone-down of course)

Well there you have a case of stating what you think to be true without checking properpyl. My apologies to anyone who read what I wrote before.

Dumbo - you aren't , I am.

Jonners

FS 5123 apparently

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=25123

Hope this is right - but i think it is.

Jonners

Jon, yes, apparently that's the one.. as i posted the below in the references section.... thinking, this answer some questions, there are some walkround links and more info by Bill there as well!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45593

.... still, that's what cut n paste are for .... no idea if the brand paint matches are good, I linked to FS colormaster page as well, and there are two shades listed for RLM 65 and the Finn equivalent. Hopefully Dumbo can correct any mistakes in the Finnish below....

"Colours, figure this will be of use.

from a Finnish magazine, i was sent a xerox by the musuem.

Finnishcolourchart.jpg

Note

for WW2

Sotakoneet = basically warplanes

[sota = war, kone = machine, i think, I can't easily reach the dictionary right now, note Finnish does not have prepostions, so words tend to have a variety of endings added to them to change tense and gender. from an English speakers point of view - confusing, as you need to know the root word and be able to spot the added word endings. This is just a warning as to the difficulty of the language. Note that endings get added to names as well, eg Humbrolin, Xtracolorin, in this case meaning the object of the sentence I think]

that the Finnish cockpit grey, Harmaa

(on Finnish built planes, reconditioned planes, or planes that have had a major overhaul at the aircraft works at Tampere.)

is matched by RAF Medium Sea Grey

FS 36270

and the Olive Green, Oliivin vihrea, topsurface camo with black, is matched by FAA Dark Slate Grey

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=34096+36270+

http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/page-RGB-colors-UK.html

Musta is black, and is just black, not black green. For scale use suggest a very dark grey.

Vaaleen sininen DN-vari

the underside blue was adopted after getting Do17's, they liked the colour, and adopted it, and thus is the same as Luftwaffe RLM 65. Note DN = Dornier

the colour chart list two FS matches, but they are very close.

the insignia blue is Tunnuksen sininen. listed as 35123, Sininen means blue, and is derived from Russian I believe.

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?f...270+35123+35414

Merkkivari I assume meaning markings (the Finns like to Finnicise words, so 'Bar' as in pub becomes 'Baari' for example)

Punainen - red

Keltainen - yellow

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?f...538+33655+31302

the two letter codes in main use section refer to serials on Finnish aircraft, eg

HC - Hurricane

DN - Dornier

JU - Junkers

MT- Messerschmitt

FA- Fiat

CA - Caudron

MS- Morane Saulnier

BW- Brewster

GL - Gladiator

BL - Blenhiem

LY- Lysander

you get the idea....

Hope this answers some colour questions from the off. If you PM me I can send a link to a PDF of an out of print books on Finnish Camo.

terve!

T"

Kiitos Tony,

Your translations are pretty much spot on.

Coming from a Finnish background I can say you've done very well. Unfortunately being down under and away from native Finnish speakers I have lost the abilty to do so. I can still pick up a few words. I never learnt to read Finnish (unfortunately), my parents did not enforce it at home but again can pick up a few words. I may take the plunge one day to learn to read and write it and would love to visit my relatives there and actually understand what they were saying!

:cheers:

Hi,

There is good book about colours of FAF http://www.bookplus.fi/kirjat/keskinen,_ka...arpaint-4244469 and I think you can find this from Motorbooks. Basically idea of using DN-colour was get plane less visible. In real life I think mechanics just used any colours available. I can take some photos of restored plane next week, I will travel to Finland and I will visit at FAF museum at Tikkakoski.

Br. Vesa

• 3 weeks later...