Battle of the Alantic Group Build

Hi Erwin,

The aircraft do not carry the ships insignia because aside from their national markings, the BordfliegerGruppe 196 Arados assigned to the various ships only carried their Verbandkennzeichen (Unit codes) and frequently the seahorse emblem of BflGr.196 on either side of the nose immediately aft of the cowling.

The normal complement of Ar 196s on Bismarck was four although if required, an additional two could be carried. The four assigned to Bismarck were 3 x 196 A-2 models and 1 x 196 A-3 model and were all from the 1. Staffel of BflGr.196.

The Ar 196 A-2s were: T3+IH W.Nr.052, T3+AK W.Nr.110 and T3+DL W.Nr.123. The Ar 196A-3 was T3+MK W.Nr.150. Thus by simply changing the last two letters of the code you can model any one of Bismarck's four aircraft (externally, A-2 and A-3 were virtually identical having the same armament etc).

If you want to do one of Prinz Eugen's three embarked aircraft you could do the 196 A-3 T3+HL from the 3./BflGr.196.

HTH

Dave

Thanks.Very good info.

I've had a look at Wingspalette,and found many profiles.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/h/21/2/3

Edited by Erwin

Hi Erwin,

To answer your questions - my answers in bold type:

I've had a look at Wingspalette,and found many profiles.

IMO forget these (and Wikipedia too) much of the information is ficticious or poorly researched so whenever possible find a photo of your chosen subject.

Anything starting with T3 are Arados onboard ships . Correct ?

Generally yes as T3 was the unit code identifier code assigned to BflGr 196 but there are a number of recorded instances when no Verbandkennzeichen were applied to Ar 196s and the aircraft only carried their factory codes - again, a photo is the way to go.

Plus not all carried the seahorse insignia ?

Correct.

So,if I do an Arado with the markings of a ship from the Atlantic without the seahorse I'm OK ?

Yes, I have photos of Ar 196s from Gneisenau, Bismarck, Tirpitz and Prinz Eugen carrying the full T3 codes but no seahorse.

When you are ready to begin painting your Arado let me know and I'll send you some decent scans.

Cheers

Dave

Thank you all for the very good info.

I guess my concern wan't needed after all. Plenty of codes to go by even if the decalsheet schouldn't have the seahorse.

Well,it looks my project for this GB stands.

"1/32 nd Revell Ar 196 on catapult".

catapult.jpg

Edited by Erwin

That is going to look mighty impressive!!

Keef

I should be.

But I will concentrate on the Arado first.Hoping the kit hits the shops soon.

If I run out of time during the GB then I will have at least finished the plane.

Edited by Erwin

Having now got things organised timewise regarding my modelling time vs family/home commitments I'm definitely in for this one. My intended entries being a 1/48 Hs293-equipped Do 217 of the II./KG100 and a 1/32 Ar 196.

Incidentally, is anyone planning on entering a Bv 222 in this GB?

Cheers

Dave

Hopefully,I plan to do the Scharnhorst ,using the new Dragon kit,but ,I`ll have to monkey around with it bit,to change it to represent her as she appeared during the Atlantic raiding sortie"Operation Berlin"Also I want to try a new technique I`ve thought of,to simulate a wooden deck.

See yer,Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Right it appears the Birsmark is elligible so I have bidded on an Airfix Bismark lets see if I get it, I feel like doing a ship. I will need guidance as to what it should look like for the period though (if the kit is not right) - I may just buiild the Spruance Class John Roger that I have as a practise piece as I have never (as far as I can recall) built a ship kit before.

Wayne

Great list of entries so far (updated):

• Shar2 - WEM 1/350 L-Class destroyer and HobbyBoss 1/350 Type IXC U-Boat
  • MadNurseGaz - Revell 1/350 Type VIIC U-Boat and Matchbox 1/72 Wellington
  • keefr22 - Airfix 1/400 HMS Montgomery
  • Erwin - Revell 1/32 Arado Ar196 on catapult!
  • JazzyJase - Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish
  • Phil Reeder - Dragon 1/350 Scharnhorst as Gneisenau
  • PHaTNesS - Revell 1/144 Type VIIC U-Boat and Tamiya 1/700 Gneisenau
  • CPNGROATS - Type VIIC U-Boat
  • gcn - U-Boat or Tamiya Swordfish
  • Deacon - Airfix 1/72 Sea Hurricane
  • aurora-7 - Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette (started)
  • alex - Airfix 1/72 Sea Hurricane
  • denstore - Tamiya 1/350 KGV
  • smuts - Acc Min 1/48 TBM Avenger
  • tango98 - 1/48 Hs293-equipped Do 217, Revell 1/32 Ar 196
  • wkennerley - Matchbox 1/700 Bismarck
  • rowmk1 - Revell 1/144 VIIC/41 U-Boat
  • no4mkit - Hasegawa 1/72 Sea Hurricane Mk1
  • RAF Colonel - Airfix 1/600 Ark Royal and Bismarck
  • Mal - Tamiya 1/700 V&W Class (WAIR/LRE conv)

I've updated my entry to the Tamiya Gneisenau in 1/700. The O-Class Destroyer will be a fallback if I have time.

Al

Edited by PHaTNesS

Great list of entries so far (updated):

[*]Erwin - Revell 1/32 Arado Ar196

Should be "...on catapult".

If I get it in time.I've ordered it directly from the maker but haven't heard of him anymore.

Edited by Erwin

Have acquired a Matchbox Bismarck so I am in on this GB - Are there any net sources re info on the Bismarck for the period?

I assume I can use RB Model 1/700 brass barrels on the Matchbox kit?

Wayne

Edited by wkennerley

Have acquired a Matchbox Bismarck so I am in on this GB - Are there any net sources re info on the Bismarck for the period?

I assume I can use RB Model 1/700 brass barrels on the Matchbox kit?

Wayne

Try HERE