Airfix Starter Kits GB

I don't think anyone has pitched in with a ship yet - great bathtime toys.

Heh... the Airfix ship gift sets are a little pricey for some... and perhaps a bit involved for a one-month build. The low-end of ship sets is the Ark Royal, Belfast and Hood sets, all at 1:600, at an RRP of £16.99 and between 130 and 250 parts... but if anyone is braver than I am.... ;)

I will just reiterate the rules :)

Tools:

Modelling knife.

Small file or sanding block.

Tweezers.

Scissor.

Other:

The brush, paint and glue coming with the kit or recommended in the instructions.IF you do run out of paint (how many coats!!) you can of course add the same paint from the range.

Tape or rubber bands to hold parts together.

And NO:

After market parts or decals.

Decal sol / set.

Future polish.

Airbrush / spray paint.

Primer.

Matt / Gloss clear unless stated in the instructions.

Weathering done with specialized products.

Weathering is OK if it can be done with the paints supplied in the kit.

Just remember guys this is a fun build and if you do cheat you will only be cheating yourselves :angrysoapbox.sml::D

I don't see filler on the list......yes or no?

This sounds like fun....I'll have to have a look at whats available and let you know....Altho I dare say its something my daughter will be interested in too!

Edit...Just had a quick look....If I do this it'll be something completely out of my knowledge area...for added realism, lol....so, if I can get one, I'll do the Zero!!

I dare say if my daughter does one, it'll be the Mustang (another one!!lol) or the Spitfire..

Edited by Devilfish

I think this is my first post I have been lurking and registered for a while, very impressed with what i've seen here, I had bought a hasegawa f-16 with photo etched parts and bits I'm a 26 year old trying to revive a hobby I did over 10 years ago and struggling with that, I saw this group build and thought it would be perfect, going to give it a go with the Airfix Starter Kit of the Triumph TR4a

A50092.jpg

hopefully i'll do well this time

Jazzy

Jazzy, I've always liked the looks of thr TR-4. Good luck with your "starter" build.

Cheers,

ggc

I will just reiterate the rules :)

Tools:

Modelling knife.

Small file or sanding block.

Tweezers.

Scissor.

Other:

The brush, paint and glue coming with the kit or recommended in the instructions.IF you do run out of paint (how many coats!!) you can of course add the same paint from the range.

And NO:

After market parts or decals.

Decal sol / set.

Future polish.

Airbrush / spray paint.

Primer.

Matt / Gloss clear unless stated in the instructions.

Weathering done with specialized products.

Weathering is OK if it can be done with the paints supplied in the kit.

Just remember guys this is a fun build and if you do cheat you will only be cheating yourselves :angrysoapbox.sml::D

What about if the kit specifies other paint than what is included in the kit? Is it restricted strictly to the colours of the pots included in the kit?

While were talikng about paints.

I had a look at the instruction for my P-40 Kittyhawk last night, and it shows the interior as being painted but doesn't tell you what colour (unless it does and i'm being blind!).

I am guessing that it should be interior green (at least thats what it looks like in the photo's I've seen), but as i said, it doesn't tell you and they don't supply green with the kit.

The same also applies to the yellow tips on the propellers.

Not sure how i can mix green using black, grey, and 2 shades of brown! Might be going for a Black interior!

I'm just waiting for someone to front up promising to build the new Lusty gift set... It does contain 15 pots of paint, 2 rather decent looking brushes and a tube of the Humbrol glue, so it qualifies :shocked:

While were talikng about paints.

I had a look at the instruction for my P-40 Kittyhawk last night, and it shows the interior as being painted but doesn't tell you what colour (unless it does and i'm being blind!).

I am guessing that it should be interior green (at least thats what it looks like in the photo's I've seen), but as i said, it doesn't tell you and they don't supply green with the kit.

The same also applies to the yellow tips on the propellers.

Not sure how i can mix green using black, grey, and 2 shades of brown! Might be going for a Black interior!

Go for grey... might pass for grey/green in some lights. Are there any unused decals that'll be suitable to cut some yellow chunks out of?

I'm just waiting for someone to front up promising to build the new Lusty gift set... It does contain 15 pots of paint, 2 rather decent looking brushes and a tube of the Humbrol glue, so it qualifies :shocked:

Go for grey... might pass for grey/green in some lights. Are there any unused decals that'll be suitable to cut some yellow chunks out of?

I thought about mixing the grey withe the brown, because its a bluish grey, and a yellowey brown, Blue and yellow makes green....right???!!!

Maybe not, I think your right, grey is probably the best option.

I thought about mixing the grey withe the brown, because its a bluish grey, and a yellowey brown, Blue and yellow makes green....right???!!!

Maybe not, I think your right, grey is probably the best option.

It happens from time to time ;)

Other:

I think that this part needs clarification, as if other paints are mentioned in the instructions then surely the above statement means they could be used, I won't it's not in the spirit of the group build. Sorry I'm being picky :suicide:

Jazzy

ermmm....this might be a silly question but I'll ask anyway...

this has to be an airfix starter kit right?

not any old airfix kit but defo a starter kit?

If so and I can find one...I'm in :)