Mine and booby trap training diorama

Okdoky

Just a suggestion.

Since you aren't modeling the guys behind the fence, how about blocking that off so you can't see they are missing. Think a box diorama without the whole box. Just build up a box around the backside so the fence is the back of the diorama and no one can see that there are just arms floating there.

And yes, I am one of those guys who likes to look around the whole diorama to see what else is there.

Hi Phil

I don't know about making it into a box dio as I could not imagine how I would make the box up and fit this tiny scene into it convincingly !!!! Maybe you could sketch your idea up so I could see better how you think it would look. I would have problems filling the space of the box and deciding what the materials of the box would be. Any thoughts welcome and thanks for looking in.

haha no problem glad i could help

Russ

Hi Russ

Thanks again. And by the waya Rusty nail is one of my favourite drinks !!!!! ,,,,,,,,,,, A shot of whisky and drambui together with no ice.

Nige

Nige,

Not a box dio per se, more of a 1/3rd box. Basically just using walls to hide the behind the fence area. So, add a wall at the back and then walls from the back to the edge of the fence. Then put a "roof" just over the walled in fence. You can paint the wall area black or give it a wood grain finish like the base. This way the full dio is visible to all from all angles but if you look behind the fence, you just see the boxed in area instead of floating arms. The other option I see would be to put full figures behind the fence but that adds to the expense and figure making.

Hope that kind of explains it. Again, this is just for someone like me who will take the time to look at the whole diorama from all sides. Kind of does the same thing as a box dio which is used to limit the viewers vision to concentrate on the action.

• 2 weeks later...

Arms and bodies in the production line getting painted

DVC04298.jpg

don't know if this will work but have sprayed the figures matt black as base colour. The white primer kept showing through

DVC04299.jpg

I transplanted resin hands onto most of the arms and a couple already have some form of grenade or tin in them

DVC04301.jpg

The arms have putty to then tissue dressed with watered PVA glue to shape

DVC04303.jpg

DVC04302.jpg

DVC04300.jpg

I will have a stab at painting the figures at the weekend

DVC04304.jpg

This will be my third attempt

Nige

DVC04300.jpg

I don't want this to come across wrong, Nige but some of those arms look a little far apart to me. It may just be the camera angle or something - but the right hand set on the short wall especially.

I don't want this to come across wrong, Nige but some of those arms look a little far apart to me. It may just be the camera angle or something - but the right hand set on the short wall especially.

Hi Crook

Nae problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, point taken on board, and I have a "punning clan" as to how I might check out what I have done to see if it is anatomically possible to get them where they are before I chop up and alter arms.

May be a comical photo to follow !!!! Tee hee !!!!!

It may be that I just need to alter the angles of one or two sets to get it looking right. I will get back to you on that.

Thanks as always, Mish and all, for looking in on the build.

Nige

• 1 year later...