Churchill Mk III

crookedmouth

IMG_0002.jpg

The early part of the build is here. Since this is my first armour build in well over a decade, I didn't feel confident about entering it into the GB, but it's going well now so I thought I'd give it a go. I started this in Feb - well within the GB time window, so I haven't had an unfair advantage but if you don't like it, you can jolly well come round and we'll fight it out :)

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_00015.jpg

IMG_00032.jpg

IMG_00063.jpg

The track fenders were a bit of a nightmare - not difficult, just intricate - in fact my only experience of tank models so far has been Tamiya which are nice enough but not what you'd call delicate and the hull rarely comes in more than two or three parts. This thing has some insanely wee bits (I breathed in at the wrong moment and ingested at least five bits) and the hull (excluding the suspension, track fenders, doors, hatches and rivets) is made up of at least 12 integral parts! I never thought of tanks as delicate!

Anyway. I'm lovin' it and I hope you like it too.

Edited by crookedmouth

Well, as it's a bit quiet round here, and as posting photos seems to be a good way to spot problems & mistakes in the paint job...

IMG_00053.jpg

IMG_00044.jpg

IMG_00033.jpg

IMG_00024.jpg

IMG_00016.jpg

The mudflaps are made from thin metal foil and the turret is on hold for the moment - I only added it to show the model in a bit of context...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a bit quiet for a while, but I've made quite a bit of progress on the Church. In fact it's pretty much all done bar the shouting, with all the bits & pieces attached, fully painted and a start made on the weathering.

I've tried to go for the desert weathered effect, with the various layers of camo worn away to reveal the dark green, European undercoat. Is it authentic? Who knows. Is it overdone - I'm beginning to think so. Do I care? Not much. I've enjoyed the build and experimenting with the painting and I really like how it's turning out. As usual, the camera makes it all look a lot more heavy handed than it really is (honest!).

Just one more job to do which is to dirty her up. I've started that already and you can see the progress in some of the piccies. Basically using a Tammy weathering stick (sand) diluted with water to get a light, dusty wash. I'll then consider adding to this as I go, with a last dry brushing to lift the details. Hopefully it'll tone down some of the paint wear.

IMG_00072.jpg

IMG_00064.jpg

IMG_00045.jpg

IMG_00034.jpg

The more attentive of you might notice a little more detail in the turret interior than would normally be expected in the kit. This is the main reason that I've not posted in a while. I've acquired an ITA turret interior which I hope to review at a not too distant juncture. I will say that it stretched me quite a bit and I doubt I've done it much justice in the build, but you can judge for yourself when I post it up proper.

Edited by crookedmouth

I've tried to go for the desert weathered effect, with the various layers of camo worn away to reveal the dark green, European undercoat. Is it authentic? Who knows. Is it overdone - I'm beginning to think so. Do I care? Not much. I've enjoyed the build and experimenting with the painting and I really like how it's turning out.

That's the attitude Crookedmouth :) Model for yourself first and foremost. If you enjoy it, and you feel like you're progressing, then its a good build. Very nice work. A bit of dust and a coat of matt will bring it all together nicely ;)

Chris

PS, any chance of a couple of more shots through the hatches :P

That's the attitude Crookedmouth :) Model for yourself first and foremost. If you enjoy it, and you feel like you're progressing, then its a good build. Very nice work. A bit of dust and a coat of matt will bring it all together nicely ;)

Chris

PS, any chance of a couple of more shots through the hatches :P

You'll see the turret interior eventually. I admit that it didn't go as well as I'd hoped - I guess I need a little more pracise with the resin (smells nice though :who-let-rip: ) but TBH the silver finish shows up every imperfection, If I did it again, I'd paint it white & to hell with accuracy. Anyway, you'll see the results when the review has been reviewed.

Campbell

• 1 month later...