A `What if` what if Lufty Special

tc2324

That's so wrong but right!

What scheme are you going to use?

MH

Think I`m going for a dark green top and grey underside. Need to do a bit of research on that one.

Looks... erm... unusual :) One thing - you seem to have put the jet engine pods on bottom backwards - does that matter in this context?

Bl00dy well hope not. :analintruder:

Checked model in a panic, (cheers for that) :lol: , and they are the correct way round. It may be that they are upside down that gives them a weird look?? :hmmm:

That looks fantastic, and very authentic as well, the old maxim "if it looks right, it flies right" comes to mind.

I can believe that that aircraft actually exists in a parallel universe! (In which incidently I am Bill Gates and married to Grace Park and Charlize Theron- poligamy is all the rage in the 26th Dimension!)

It's upside down!

Dan

:lol::lol:

Dan, you was obviously more awake than I was last night....... :lol:

Cheers for the comments gents and now I`ve looked at it this morning, it does have a certain `Westland Whirwind` look about it...... :hmmm:

Damn you nicked my idea for the Whiff GB, kinda. I hadn't planned on using a stuka but I did acquire 262 engines. Oh well I will still do mine I doubt my back story or 'probability' will be as good as yours. I do like your idea though.

cheers

wayne

Finished product and backstory...., Enjoy.

Junkers Ju 87`S` `Bodenkampfflug Dusenfugzeug`

By May 1943 General der Schlachtflieger (General of Close-Support Aviation) Ernst Kupfer had announced that further development of the Junkers Ju 87 would "hardly bring any further tactical value". Due to the age of the design and it`s now apparent vulnerability to more modern fighter types and air defences the `Stuka` production line began to decline to around 200 units a month.

In a bid to win new favour with the Luftwaffe and Erhard Milch, Hermann Pohlmann of the Junkers company looked into various ideas of extending the Junkers Ju 87 production life. He first looked at why the Ju 87 had started to suffer heavy losses and after listening to various story`s from aircrew returning from the Eastern Front, speed seemed to be the main contributing factor.

Coupled with the fact that `new` jet engines had started to become available to potential designers and the Ju 87 `G` had started to prove an effective `tank buster` on the Eastern Front, Pohlmann contacted the Junkers Jet Engineering division and requested two Junkers Jumo 004 B-1 turbojets to be delivered to his `workshop`.

On 3rd December 1943 he revealed the Junkers Ju 87 `S` as his latest creation to Milch and other high ranking officials as an alternative to more advanced and complex ground attack redesigns. His argument was simple. Other than some basic modifications, most of the production line already existed for 90% of the new aircraft. Where the `Propeller` Ju 87 failed, the `jet` Ju 87 excelled. Speed was the key. The idea was to `speed cruise` to the target area at an average 450 mph, once on target, reduce the throttle to carry out the attack, then when the attack was over, open the throttles again and use speed to escape.

The design, the airframe and jet combination was never built for continued high speed manouvering, but as a means of getting the aircraft to the target in quick time and avoid enemy fighters.

The two 37mm canon were taken from the wings and now placed where the propeller engine use to be housed. This made the guns more stable and also the test pilots felt it was easier to `point and shoot` at targets. Each gun could now hold around 90 rounds each and the front intakes were now used to cool the weapons instead of the engine. The crew gunner was removed as rear defence was now deemed irrelevent. One interesting design of note were the engines which were placed on top of the wings. Two reasons for this were that is was noted that Foerign Object Damage was easier to get ingested in to jet engines placed under wings and as the aircraft was designed as a Ground Attack aircraft having the engines on top of the wings provided them with some form of protection. (Forty years later Fairchild Republic would copy and use a similar philosophy when designing their legendary A-10 Warthog).

Impressed, (although some reports indicate that it was more out of sympathy for a loyal German aircraft designer), Milch ordered 15 test flights to see how effective this aircraft could be. Unfortunatly, on February 26th 1944 during it`s twelth test flight during a firing test of it`s main weapons, the Ju 87 `S` lost a wing in a shallow dive and crashed with the loss of it`s test pilot. Afterwards it was concluded that the stesses on the wing by the engine and firing of the canons caused what we now know as micro fractures in the main wing spar. Despite many pilots reporting the aircraft to handle well at speed, in a dive, acruate firing aim and a good payload, it had got to that time of the war where Germany could not spare any more Jumo Jet engines and a second Ju 87 `S` was never complted.

Below are the only images to remain of this little known chapter of the Junkers Company history.

014-8-2-1.jpg

013-9-1-1.jpg

012-11-1-1.jpg

016-8-3-1.jpg

015-6-1-1.jpg

009-13-2-1.jpg

017-6-2-1.jpg

(Colour pics availiable if you want them....)

looks funny :) to be a bit nitpicking: I would have removed the cooler and air intakes in the front region, it makes it a bit more elegant, and after all, they're not needed anymore.

Nice idea and well executed!

Alex