Barracuda photos

coronado

Hello !

Something went wrong when I tried to send the photos of my Barracuda last week, I apologize, here they are

e1c5091a9e2ac71cc092392994187852.jpg

ade1aea73ef67e5ccc2573cb49c36443.jpg

eab71d09041aff0b7f6c10abb36b5288.jpg

Have a nice sunday

Pierre

Did they need their wings folded to look like that? :winkgrin:

Nice bit of modelling, I reckon you've got it about right. One of my favourite aeroplanes, but then, I like Rocs & Bothas too :blush:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

You wonder what they have smoked to design such a thing with it's folded wings !! We french have also designed in the past very strange flying things : look at Farman's designs for example : in total contradiction with aerodynamic rules and beauty was only an option !!

You wonder what they have smoked to design such a thing with it's folded wings !! We french have also designed in the past very strange flying things : look at Farman's designs for example : in total contradiction with aerodynamic rules and beauty was only an option !!

By today's standards it does look quite unconventional. The thinking was probably, "we must design and make a monoplane that seats 3, carries a torpedo so must sit high to be able to load using standard support equipment, it has to use the 'standard' mark engines and it has to fit inside the hangar bays of HRH' fleet carriers while also fitting on those damn small lifts." I'm always amazed at the solutions that seem to work.

When you consider Fairey's other combat FAA aircraft, it's not that unconventional, just an evolutionary development. The Swordfish pivoted back on its TE, the Albacore did, then the 'Cuda. The Fulmar's wings did as well, but the Firefly's look more like the Grumman design with it's rotation as it folded back.

Grumman did the same with its wing-fold design, using it even today on the E2D Hawkeye.

Tim

Well, I won't comment on French planes for fear of starting an international incident (I'm from the US, so I could sell arms to both sides... hmm, on second thought!)

I think it is analogous to the frequent claim that the Zero and Japanese designs in general were just rip-offs of Western technology. Clearly the designer of the Barracuda was heavily influenced by origami.

What you really have to admire is the Barracuda Mk.V. You can imagine some design office conferences: "OK, folks. We've got a tough assignment this time. We have to somehow make the new version even more grotesque than the regular one."

bob