British Midland decals

richellis

What can you get to do some British Midlands aircraft?

I do want to do some, a F-27, DC-9, and a 737 at the momant. I am going to do a BMI A319, and some BMI Baby 737s so Id like to go go back with some British Midland stuff

Ta

Don't know if they're still available - but I used BrasilDecals BD144-69 on this project

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/civil/mansa320.htm

I've got some leftovers for a BMI Baby 737 - PM if you're interested to use them.

One of TwoSix Kits DC-9 released includes BMI decals.

A Welsh 737-400 releases also included BMI decals; a Flightpath sheet also covers this livery/plane.

I don't know of an F-27, unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

As far as the Brasil set goes, they can be unpredictable. Some good, others difficult.

I have heard only positive reviews of DACO's work for Revell, such as the A319.

Plenty of details available.

Edited by GCA333

This is what I know has been released:

Brasil Decals

BD144-69 737-300/500 for bmibaby original scheme, bmi interim (1996) and latest (Whale)

BD144-69 A320 Latest scheme

BD144-40 A330

Flightpath

FP44-310 B707-320B

FP44-311 DC9-15/32 Original 'two blue' scheme

FP44-312 F-27 Original 'two blue' scheme

FP44-313 Viscount Original 'two blue' scheme

FP44-92 DC9-15/32 'Diamond Service' scheme

FP44-94 BAC1-11 304 G-WLAD in 'Diamond Service' scheme

FP44-91 737-300/400 'Diamond Service' scheme

Two Six (in addition to the new DC-9 kit)

144-436 Boeing 707-321

144-86 Vickers Viscount 700 Original 'two blue' scheme

Liveries Unlimited

AGA4-157 Airbus A320/A321 British Midland '96' livery

Draw Decal

Set 44-737-105 737-300 later bmibaby scheme

FCM

144-009 737-300 'Diamond Service' scheme

Welsh Models also included BMA decals in both their Fokker 70 and 100 kits which I think Flightpath also released. They've also issued a BMA Herald. I'm also sure that Flightpath released F-27 and Viscount markings in the 'Diamond Service' scheme. As far as I know no one has done the post 1996 scheme for either the 737 or Fokkers.

The Brasil Decals are definitely iffy. The blues used are pretty much wrong, the registrations for the later 'Whale' scheme should be mid-blue not black for both Airbuses. The cheat line on the 737 'interim' scheme is black instead of dark blue and the eyes are missing from 'Tiny' on the fuselage.

The Revell/Daco A319 sheet is spot on for the colours - I wish it had the G-MID* serials for the A320s since it includes the A320 logos!

There are also a couple of Star Alliance schemes and the bmi Regional Embraers but this might be out of scope for now.

BTW it's should be written as bmi not BMI :smartass: (although to all the older staff it was still British Midland or BMA after the rebrand - if only to wind up marketing and the senior management).

Thanks. Where can you get the flightpath stuff from??

Ive had a look and it looks like the Brasil sheets are discontinued, I have found a sheet on Hannants (fcm44009a) that has 3 differant 737 3 liveries on but I dont want to buy the sheet as I dont want the other 2! (Im not tight, just with a new house, baby etc...)

Hi Rich,

The Flightpath sheets are probably long OOP by now. The ones I have came from The Aviation Hobby Shop ages ago. Their website doesn't show them stocking Flightpath any more, but I'm sure I saw some on their stand at SMW. If you give them a call they'll confirm if they have any. For a Diamond Service 737, maybe someone has a spare Welsh decal from one of their 737 kits as these are also the Flightpath ones.

Alternatively, you could try Airline Hobby Supplies in the USA: Linky. They're showing stock of the DC-9, 737, F27 and Viscount sheets but it's probably best to e-mail them to check.

If you want to wait a little while, Hannants are showing some new bmibaby 737 decals from a company called O Decals http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=ODE44017 (which are printed by BOA) in their Future Releases section. These will be for G-TOYF with the earlier small bmibaby.com logo. There is a picture on the Airline Hobby Supplies website and they look way more accurate than the Brasil ones.

HTH

Jonathan

Hi Rich,

The Flightpath sheets are probably long OOP by now. The ones I have came from The Aviation Hobby Shop ages ago. Their website doesn't show them stocking Flightpath any more, but I'm sure I saw some on their stand at SMW. If you give them a call they'll confirm if they have any. For a Diamond Service 737, maybe someone has a spare Welsh decal from one of their 737 kits as these are also the Flightpath ones.

Alternatively, you could try Airline Hobby Supplies in the USA: Linky. They're showing stock of the DC-9, 737, F27 and Viscount sheets but it's probably best to e-mail them to check.

If you want to wait a little while, Hannants are showing some new bmibaby 737 decals from a company called O Decals http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=ODE44017 (which are printed by BOA) in their Future Releases section. These will be for G-TOYF with the earlier small bmibaby.com logo. There is a picture on the Airline Hobby Supplies website and they look way more accurate than the Brasil ones.

HTH

Jonathan

Here you go, G-TOYA, TOYB and TOYC's new schemes :D (on handback)

IMG_5028.jpg

brummie baby has gone then. How do you get these pics??

Ive pre-ordered some of those bmibaby decals and Ill have to chat to my decal man about doing some differant registrations for me!

Edited by richellis

brummie baby has gone then. How do you get these pics??

Ah put my camera up to my eye and pressed the shutter button, voila :P

Hell, I did a semi walk round of it and in the nose bay to lol :) but was a bit busy. They are on my side of the fence and next door :)

Edited by TonyT

Here you go, G-TOYA, TOYB and TOYC's new schemes :D (on handback)

IMG_5028.jpg

I remember those three entering service after being taken on from Buzz. There were so many carried forward defects being fixed at the beginning that they had to have their own dispatch reliability fleet so we could monitor the rest accurately!

Dont tell my daughter she loves bmibaby! I had to take her on a flight for her birthday this year, and it had to be bmibaby. She even got to go in the cockpit!

Very exiting for her, and she is only 4!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Im doing a Dc-9 in the early british Midland livery, but any one know if the flaps etc should be grey or bare metal?

Is this the two tone blue scheme (white fuse roof, two blue cheatline and the arrow style tail logo with BMI in the middle)?

Probably bare metal flaps from that era

Hi,

Im doing a Dc-9 in the early british Midland livery, but any one know if the flaps etc should be grey or bare metal?

The scheme was long before my time with BMA but I'd say grey with the leading edges/slats in natural metal- see these pictures from Airliners.net:

DC9-15 G-BMAG

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Mid...a2f7e78a9bc85b4

DC9-32 G-BMAM

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Mid...d69a0f41766d690

On the later Diamond Service livery the flaps were definitely the same grey as the lower fuselage. I'll see if I can come up with a definitive answer and let you know.

Jonathan