1:350 Revell USS Wasp (LHD-1)

Hurricane363

Looks great and quite an interesting subject, but what a price :gobsmacked: Have Revell really raised their game that much that they are competeing with the likes of Hasegawa, Fujima, Aoshima and Tamyia?

I got all excited about the thought of doing one of these when I saw the pic's from one of the toyfairs.....

......then, as you all mention already, I saw the price! DOH!

Not quite my price range.

Eng

Looks great and quite an interesting subject, but what a price :gobsmacked: Have Revell really raised their game that much that they are competeing with the likes of Hasegawa, Fujima, Aoshima and Tamyia?

I would say Revell's recent ship releases have been better than Tamiya's in 1/350, this could really set the bar for their intentions in this market.

I guess I am a bit out of touch as I've firmly resisted buying Revell kits as I was scarred by trying to build them back in the 70's and 80's. But then I'm keen to build some of the wonderful new subjects that are being released in 1/350th scale. This site has already proved to be very educational.

I guess I am a bit out of touch as I've firmly resisted buying Revell kits as I was scarred by trying to build them back in the 70's and 80's.

In the 70's they'd have been Revell USA kits.

The vast majority of Revell kits now are Revell Germany.

EXCEPTION - they also rebox kits from other manufacturers which are exactly as good as the orignal but sometimes have better decals!

Always ask first.

Shane

I used to love Monogram back then and it was only when they and Revell amalgamated that Revell kits started to improve. I hadn't realised that they had improved so much in the intervening years. I will have to give some space and time to one or two to see what's what.

• 1 month later...

This kit is coming out under the Fujimi label in the Far East,dunno what price they`ll charge,probably more then the RoG offering.`Fraid it`s not my cup of tea!!

Cheers Phil

Edit: Just looked at HLJ ,and Trumpy are doing it as well,price 19800yen

Edited by Phil Reeder

Hi Dave,

don't be shy with it, take some photo's for us - just to make us jealous!

Mike

Oh ok. Here you go.

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

The green box contains the aircraft and vehicle kits.

Had a quick peek in the box today at Modelzone in Chester, nice kit but would probably need AM to do it justice, Not sure where Revell

got the price from.......£179.95 is a bit on the high side, considering that the fanantics will probably spend an extra wedge on detailing it further.

The price is far too high for me at the moment.

Edited by Dads203

Apart from, perhaps, additional aircraft I don't think there is any need for AM stuff. The PE in the kit looks pretty good and covers most of what you'd nee. The rest of the kit looks very detailed and with 1349 parts so it should.

Oh and you can get it for quite a bit less than the £179.99 RRP.

Edited by Shar2

The moulds are done by Trumpeter and the kit was designed by Academy so It should be an okay build. Aircraft sets will be availble as seperate sets from Trumpeter in the future.

Still not convinced by the price, I paid £80 for my Tamiya Enterprise ( Thanks Turnerdad :thumbsup: ) , which I know is an old kit but still builds up well and a lot of plastic for your cash.

Will I buy a Wasp? Probably but for the right price.

ihe09_gal02.jpg

ihe09_gal01.jpg

64001b.jpg

64001c.jpg

Pix from Cybermodeler

The Tamiya Enterprise is a nice kit, in fact I've still got mine which I bought and built 25years ago. Yet it is actually quite a simple kit and the AM required to make it a great model are quite expensive. I ended up spending quite a bit just on extra aircraft and used to display her with a full combat airwing of nearlly 100 a/c. I've never had a plastic kit with so many part as the Wasp, but until I've built it I cab't really comment on the detail but first looks is that it is an order of magnitude greater than the Enterprise.

Edited by Shar2

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine today from Antics, Worcester; and I have attached a couple of images of the decals and PE that comes with the kit.

I've also placed a ruler alongside the parts to give an impression of size.

Mike

Revell-Wasp10.jpg

Revell-Wasp15.jpg

Revell-Wasp14.jpg