Military Aviation Monthly

davidelvy

the name change caught me off guard. l have been looking for the rest of the articles on the spitfire against japanese article. l got part one but missed the other two plus the remaining articles on the Spitfire Mk XI. Is there any chance anyone of you could scan and email the rest of those articles?? As for being better or worst off l am going to give it a few more issues before l decide. l like seeing models being build but l also like the info to back up those builds and if MAM provides that l am ok with it.

I hadn't noticed there had been a name change which just shows how much I read of it. I only took out a subscription a couple of years ago when they ran their TSR2 articles and have maintained it since. However, a combination of unemployment and, for me, articles of very limited interest I shall not be taking out a further subscription.

Graham

Edited by GrahamS

Reading between the lines, the publisher sees more sales potential in a mag with less obvious modelling content - there is a perception that some interested in aviation wouldn't buy a mag with 'Model' in the title for what can only be described as 'snobbish' reasons

What I can't understand is why the publisher wants to try and elbow his way into the even more crowded general military aviation market. I thought the whole idea of marketing was to have a Unique Selling Point. MAM seemed to flounder around not sure what it was trying to be until Neil took over the helm. Since then it has IMHO been consistently the highest quality modelling magazine on the market. I wasn't bothered by the name change if it just alerted general readers to the quality non-modelling contet but, if the format is now changing to slough off modelling articles into SAMI, I may need to reconsider.

For me Neil Robinson has been the editor with the Midas touch: the man who, through IPMS Mag, 72nd Scale Modeller, SAM and MAM, has consistently understood and delivered what I want from a modelling magazine. (In fact, looking across the current crop, he and Gary Hatcher are the only ones.) I hope the publisher understands what an asset he has. [shock, horror: newsgroup says something nice about someone!]

Nick

I'd have said that a magazine that is targeted at modellers for reference purposes - a Modeller's Reference Magazine if you like, is a USP. I've never heard of another :shrug:

I, OTOH, would stop buying SAMI if Neil edited it. I would not be pleased with having to slog through all the endless 'quotation marks' and italics that make such painful reading!

BUT....I really don't know why I like Neil's writing 'style' then...it just seems so 'natural'

Having looked through the content of my copy of the magazine I realise there is still much in it that I like. The historical articles are the major selling point for me and there are still some good ones in there, so I would still probably have bought it this month. Of course, every now and then there is an issue which has less appeal - but that is the risk when you subscribe. In the past I have found that after what has been for me a dull issue there has often been one which has been a delight. But that was before the change of name and the "mission statement" from the Editor. There was only one subject actually modelled this month. Beneath his editorial Neil Robinson tells us what is planned for next month's issue. There is no mention of anything being built.

I also noticed there was no sign of the magazine in my local Smiths. SAMI was there, but I couldn't see if there was anything in it I liked because it was in a sealed wrapper along with a Pocketbond catalogue.

..both MAM and SAM have 'reference' features on the same subject this month. The article in SAM is well printed, well written with decent pics and artwork and a couple of model builds. MAM's isn't and doesn't....sad really since on another month MAM will have plenty of interesting material.

Edited by FalkeEins

For me Neil Robinson has been the editor with the Midas touch: the man who........... has consistently understood and delivered what I want from a modelling magazine.

Nick

I agree, all the way!

I have to admit I rather like MAM, its a grown up magazine that treats the aircraft in greater depth than some others, I think it complements rather than competes with the other modelling magazines on the market.

I also noticed there was no sign of the magazine in my local Smiths. SAMI was there, but I couldn't see if there was anything in it I liked because it was in a sealed wrapper along with a Pocketbond catalogue.

Check other mags, this month mine put it with the 'Military' mags - yet last months is still on display in the Aviation magazine section. The modelling mags are elsewhere!!

Check other mags, this month mine put it with the 'Military' mags - yet last months is still on display in the Aviation magazine section. The modelling mags are elsewhere!!

I looked in the aircraft section. I didn't think to look in the military section, so I will next time. If it is there it would seem to suggest that this repositioning of the magazine may backfire. The publishers presumably think they want to attract people browsing amongst the aircraft titles. If MAM is nestling amongst the military modelling titles this is unlikely to happen. In my local Smiths the military titles are on a completely different set of shelves from the aircraft ones.

When I was over there in '96 the news agent nearest the hotel I was staying at had all of the aircraft and modeling mags one shelf below all of the *orn, when I picked up a SAM (HONEST) I laughed about the placement to the clerk and he said - "it makes sense, they are after all all 'Men's Interest' magazines"!

Of course all of the non-nudie ones here at my nearest Borders (FHM and the such) are all right above both the automotive and aircraft magazines! But none of the ones over here are as quaintly titled as 'Working Girls' - which was one shelf above the modeling mags when I was in London!

Matt

Picked up this months MAM today, and i was for once a little disappointed, but that is perhaps just due to the content not grabbing me; ie personal interests. Its still by far an away one of the better titles out there though. No Tony T item this month - Tony - have you been unwell?? :)

I do think they have changed the paper its printed on though ( and i work in print, so I do have an idea about these things!!). It seems thinner and coarser than before - which is a shame 'cus it looks cheap ( which probably means it is, but its a good way to cut print costs if you need to save some money). Hope it doesnt last, because a cheap page feel is not a good thing for a mag - subconsciously tends to suggest cheap content.

I hope MAM carries on with modelling content as I rather like the mix. Perhaps this month, the editor was " distracted' by (his) "sneak" preview build of the 'new' Airfix 1/48th Bf109E in this months SAMI? and to be fair to Neil Robinson - there's not an "apostrophe" or (bracket) to be seen in it. Good for him!

Cheers

"jonners"

Just for those of us who have seen only 9/1 (with the Stuka on the cover) what is in what I am assuming 9/3 that everyone is talking about?

The bad thing with the pre-Neil MAMs I didn't buy them if they had nothing I was interested in. MAM is currently the one most re-read magazine in my library, so I hope all the angst I'm seeing in this thread is just a temporary thing

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts

hehe

sweet

now you know how we feel when we have only got upto series 2 ep4 on the latest best TV thing and you guys are already on series 5 :lol:

I'm still waiting for Ashes to Ashes Series 2 to show up on BBC America!

I feel the need...the need to fire up the Quatro

... and to be fair to Neil Robinson - there's not an "apostrophe" or (bracket) to be seen in it. Good for him!

Maybe Gary Hatcher edited them out?

I have to say, GH is my editor of choice at the moment; I very much like the way he uses words and his sense of humour. It makes the magazine a pleasure to read. I also think Spencer Pollard is a great editor, and always buy MiS when I'm in a country that sells it.

Jon

I usually by MAM every month and enjoy the read. Haven't got the latest copy yet, it wasn't in my local WHS yesterday in either section - spent a good 15 minutes checking all the possible places. No use asking the staff on a Saturday, just school kids who only work at weekends, so they haven't a clue what you are talking about. I'll try again next week.

May I suggest that if you don't like what's happened to MAM you write to Steve Elliot rather than Neil Robinson, only the owner of the publication has the power to reverse the changes.

Also the idea of an reference magazine rather than review magazine may have more value in the long run.